X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Appeal

Hello all,

As some of you may already be aware, I am currently proposing an appeal to fund a memorial - a simple, tasteful one, likely a simple plaque - to Frances Coles to be situated in the East London Cemetery, Plaistow; it is my hope that this could be in place by the 120th anniversary of her death, in February of next year. Some of you may not already be aware that Coles grave is at present entirely unmarked, and indeed there is even some confusion as to where it is - even roughly - located.

Details of the appeal and, to a slightly lesser extent, the memorial itself are still fairly loose and fluid, and I would be very grateful for any input or suggestions to help us achieve this. To this end, the proposals have over the last few months been mooted both on my website and, more recently, in the latest edition of Casebook Examiner. I had hoped that the latter, in particular, may garner some feedback - positive or negative - and of course it may well still do, but at the moment it appears that my small feature article has become somewhat (understandably) lost to the greater debate around some of the larger issues raised by the edition. To this end I have decided to start a new thread here, separate to the CE2 thread, in the hope of starting some debate.

As I say, I am open to any feedback, be it positive or negative - although I would hope if the latter it would be constructive, at least. Whilst commited to this project, I am not precious about it - Mark Ripper has already informed me that he considers me something of a sentimental fool in all of this, and I can assure you that I still count him as a friend.

Many thanks for any support, comments etc - and thanks for reading.

Trevor (TN Bond).

Hi Trevor,

as you know, I think this is a very fine idea.

What kind of help and support do you still need to get the memorila in place before the aniversary of the death. Is there anything I can do to help?

Jenni
    “be just and fear not”

Comment

I missed this thread previously, but I agree with Jenni that this is a worthy proposal, which I should like to support.

Comment

Hi Trevor,

I think that it is a beautiful idea. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I hope that you will find much support for it here.

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
        And thus I clothe my naked villainy
        With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
        And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Update.

Wow - Thanks all for the encouragement! I must admit (as Jenni knows) that I was becoming a bit disillusioned that there had been no replies here, but I think part of the problem was that Coles' board is not itself very well visited, and with a few other very active victims threads going at the minute, my initial posting seemed to get a little lost.

Special thanks to Zodiac and Chris (hello again by the way ) for the 'new' support. And, of course, to Jenni, without whom this whole thing may well not have got this far.

I now have a PayPal account set up for the appeal, which despite some misgivings with the wording over at JTRforums will be named as the title of this thread. I will reveal the address both here and on the thread at JTRforums once a few people have got back to me with estimates to aim at - hopefully early next week. There will also (hopefully) be a directly linked 'donate' button on my website. All these ways of getting to the PayPal account will offer two options - either to donate an amount of your choosing or to 'donate a pound' (about $1.50). Anything is of course appreciated.

This thread and the corresponding JTRforums thread, along with my website, will then become the 'official' place for updates on the progress of the appeal, any special fundraising activities (ie. I am currently thinking of ideas for on or around conference day), etc. My current plan is that the appeal will run until sometime in Jan 2011, enabling us to get the memorial in place by Feb 13. I am not at present planning to 'cap' the appeal at the cost of the memorial, but rather to donate any funds raised over and above that cost to a yet to be identified charity in the Bermondsey area - if anyone has any thoughts on this, of course, let me know.

The rollcall of those proposing to donate thus far:

Casebook:

Jenni (Jdpegg)
          Chris Phillips (Chris)
          Zodiac*

JTRforums:

Mark Ripper (m_w_r)
          Phil Carter
          How Brown

and of course, myself, who shall be kicking the whole thing off. Not shoddy at all seeing as we've not even launched properly yet.

Thanks one and all! It's getting a bit exciting now .

Trevor.

* Zodiac - I have just re-read your original post and have seen that you have not explicitly said you will be donating. That is of course entirely your choice, and the last think I want is to be seen to be putting pressure on people. Please let me know if you wish me to take your name from the above list. Either way, your support is very much appreciated.
          Last edited by tnb; 07-09-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Count me in; I had been meaning to respond after reading the Examiner note, but got myself all confused over Trevors. (Don't take it personally; I'm bloody hopeless with names.) But it's a great idea and I'd like to throw in a few quid, if that's okay.
            best,

claire

Comment

Originally posted by claire View Post
              Count me in; I had been meaning to respond after reading the Examiner note, but got myself all confused over Trevors. (Don't take it personally; I'm bloody hopeless with names.) But it's a great idea and I'd like to throw in a few quid, if that's okay.
              More than okay Claire! Many thanks in advance. And don't worry, the Trevor confusion has happened before and will happen again. Far be it from me to say I wish I got mixed up with someone who stirred up slightly less strong feeling...

Comment

Forgot to say - Jenni, any chance of a mention in the next Examiner that the appeal is (by then) up and running?

Tour article nearly there, btw.

Comment

Trevor,

Forgot to say - Jenni, any chance of a mention in the next Examiner that the appeal is (by then) up and running?

Way ahead of you. Jen and I have already discussed just that.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                    Zodiac - I have just re-read your original post and have seen that you have not explicitly said you will be donating. That is of course entirely your choice, and the last think I want is to be seen to be putting pressure on people. Please let me know if you wish me to take your name from the above list. Either way, your support is very much appreciated.
                    Hi Trevor,

No worries mate I will of course be making a donation to the memorial fund, glad to be on the list.

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                    And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                    With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                    And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Definately, I will email you when I am putting together our news section for the issue in order to make sure I have up to date info.

As Don says we have discussed just this already. In fact not only was i ahead of you, but also ahead of Don, as I had already written a copule of lines of what is going in the section when Don first mentioned it!!

Please keep us all updated.

As I say, I really support your effort, I think it is a great idea. I'm sure the rest of the Examiner team seem to agree as well!!

Jenni
                      “be just and fear not”

Comment

More than okay Claire! Many thanks in advance. And don't worry, the Trevor confusion has happened before and will happen again. Far be it from me to say I wish I got mixed up with someone who stirred up slightly less strong feeling...
                        No comment Please keep us posted on here or via Examiner--or just nab me at the conference; this is such a great idea and I'm just pleased to be able to chuck a little something at it
                        best,

claire

Comment

Trevor,

Good luck with this; I shall certainly be happy to bung a few quid your way to help make this a reality.

All the best

Andrew

Comment

Claire - I will definitely keep everyone updated, both here (and on JTRforums) and also via my website, and also as many times as Jenni, Don and co are prepared to give me a column inch or two. I am also hoping to be able to include the ability to enter your email address when you donate which will allow me to send out semi-regular update emails.

Glad to hear you'll be at the conference, I would very much like to have a chat there and would hope I will have some good progress to report by then. I have in fact been toying with the idea of putting on some kind of meet on the evening before (Fri) even if its just a couple of drinks and a chat for all those who have already donated or are interested for a discussion and maybe a subtle passing around of the hat for any extra pennies, first round on me! Of course if anyone attending has any ideas let me know.

Jenni and Don - my gratitude as ever is massive. Looking forward to the new issue already. :-)

Andrew - good man! I may be in touch re some photographic fundraising ideas soon...
                            Last edited by tnb; 07-10-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I may be in touch re some photographic fundraising ideas soon...
                              Sounds intriguing! Let me know how I can be of assistance....

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X