The Mary Jane Kelly Project-University of Leicester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mary Jane Kelly Project-University of Leicester

"Members of the University of Leicester team who undertook genealogical and demographic research in relation to the discovery of the mortal remains of King Richard III have now been involved in a new project to identify the last known victim of Jack the Ripper—Mary Jane Kelly.

The researchers were commissioned by author Patricia Cornwell, renowned for her meticulous research, to examine the feasibility of finding the exact burial location and the likely condition and survival of her remains. This was done as a precursor to possible DNA analysis in a case surrounding her true identity following contact with Wynne Weston-Davies who believes that Mary Jane Kelly was actually his great aunt, Elizabeth Weston Davies."

Forensic Magazine article

University of Leicester's Press Release

PDF of the full 27 page report
    The academic profile of Professor Turi King, Professor of Public Engagement and Genetics at University of Leicester

JM

Well this might be how she is finally found! With Patricia Cornwell putting her money behind this...this might be the only real chance we have to find out who Mary really was. This could be really big, and I know I'll be following the story.

Very exciting.

Comment

Very big, indeed, and I will also be watching for more details.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Uh, it might help to read the links.

The search and exhumation ain't happening.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
          That PDF report is well worth reading. Puts a lot of things in perspective, I feel.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

As a side issue, I work at Leicestershire Police as their historian. Ms Cornwell visited Leicester last year and delivered a talk for the University, at which our Chief Constable was present. She also visited the Richard III visitors centre, and I suspect the idea was discussed then.

Anyway, I digress. There is talk of a DNA/Forensics museum opening up next to the RIII centre, which shall focus on the work Leicester Uni do, with particular focus on the DNA profiling pioneered at the Uni, and was used to great success during the Narborough murders in the 1980s.

Whilst this duck may be dead in the water, don't be surprised if other famous cold cases may be thrust their way.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Yes the report is very useful and the conclusion is that there seems to be no point pursuing the exhumation further. We do not know where Mary's body is buried and it has probably been disturbed over the years and even destroyed. It's a non-runner.

I was fascinated by the report though. Also interesting to have names of other folks were buried in the same plot as Mary - not of any use in determining who she was, however.

I'm glad this has been shared on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                She also visited the Richard III visitors centre
                Something I'd really like to do sometime soon. Richard III, and the intriguing work undertaken by the RIII Society and Leicester University in tracking him down, is absolutely fascinating. I've long been interested in the Wars of the Roses, so the amazing find of Richard's remains in 2012 was hugely exciting.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

As a side issue, I work at Leicestershire Police as their historian. Ms Cornwell visited Leicester last year and delivered a talk for the University, at which our Chief Constable was present. She also visited the Richard III visitors centre, and I suspect the idea was discussed then.

Anyway, I digress. There is talk of a DNA/Forensics museum opening up next to the RIII centre, which shall focus on the work Leicester Uni do, with particular focus on the DNA profiling pioneered at the Uni, and was used to great success during the Narborough murders in the 1980s.

Whilst this duck may be dead in the water, don't be surprised if other famous cold cases may be thrust their way.

Monty
                  Hello Monty,

I raised my eyebrows at the slightly teasing comment at the end..and must ask, would you know if any of the said "other famous cold cases" have any connection to the Whitechapel Murders or their previously proposed suspects?

Because the obvious question involved if the above be true, is whom, exactly?

Thanks.

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

Not that I'm aware of, I'm merely passing comment.

This is based upon the fact Leicester University were recently involved in DNA forensic work on the Rouse case, when they dismissed a family member as the unknown victim.

The RIII work the uni has done opens up a long list of possibilities, from Bible John to the Zodiac to Lord Lucan (should any DNA evidence turn up)

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

An impossible ask, but what if the body of Keith Bennett could be found!

Comment

Not that I'm aware of, I'm merely passing comment.

This is based upon the fact Leicester University were recently involved in DNA forensic work on the Rouse case, when they dismissed a family member as the unknown victim.

The RIII work the uni has done opens up a long list of possibilities, from Bible John to the Zodiac to Lord Lucan (should any DNA evidence turn up)

Monty
                        Many thanks for the clear answer. Appreciated.

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

Has anyone thought to ask Alan Parsons if there may be any copyright infringement?

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                            "Members of the University of Leicester team who undertook genealogical and demographic research in relation to the discovery of the mortal remains of King Richard III have now been involved in a new project to identify the last known victim of Jack the Ripper—Mary Jane Kelly.

The researchers were commissioned by author Patricia Cornwell, renowned for her meticulous research, to examine the feasibility of finding the exact burial location and the likely condition and survival of her remains. This was done as a precursor to possible DNA analysis in a case surrounding her true identity following contact with Wynne Weston-Davies who believes that Mary Jane Kelly was actually his great aunt, Elizabeth Weston Davies."

Forensic Magazine article

University of Leicester's Press Release

PDF of the full 27 page report
                            The academic profile of Professor Turi King, Professor of Public Engagement and Genetics at University of Leicester

JM
                            I knew this would happen mr wynne weston davis now has a get out jail free card "I want to prove this but they wont let me"
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Not exactly pertinent to The Kelly question,but here in Adelaide,South Australia,an attempt is being made to exhume "The Somerton Man" with a view to extract DNA samples,and a possible identification.So far permission has been refused.

Comment

Working...
                              X