V for Vendetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V for Vendetta

"V for Vendetta," based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore who also wrote "From Hell" about Jack the Ripper, is one of my favorite movies. Though it takes place in the mid-21st century, I heard Roger Ebert and some other movie critics compare the hero V to "a modern day Jack the Ripper" in the way he stalked the shadowy streets as he targeted his enemies and in his preference for knives as weapons when he could have very easily used a gun. It's easy to speculate that the Ripper figured at least subconsciously into Moore's mind when he was developing the character. As well as other influences, naturally- there is even a bit of Zorro and Robin Hood in V, and of course Guy Fawkes by whom he is directly inspired.

I've also read the graphic novel and though it's much more involved and different in many ways from the movie, I love both versions of the story. It's very easy to take to it with the current political climate here in America. I wondered if anyone would like to comment on how the movie in particular was received in England, especially with its explosive conclusion that features the destruction of a certain major London landmark.

I really liked the movie, although I thought it was about 20-30 minutes too long. Some tighter editing would have improved it greatly.

I thought Stephen Fry in particular did a great job.
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

The destruction of "The London Landmark" was major escapism and a whole lotta fun!
      We get to watch every invasion movie destroy the Statue of Liberty and the Whitehouse so why can't British landmarks be a part of the fun!

Other notable British landmarks being destroyed include,
      Big Ben- Mars Attacks,
      Stonehenge- National Lampoon's European Vacation,
      The Thames Running Dry- The Day the Earth Caught Fire,
      The Thames Flooding- The Flood,

Anyway, Alan Moore disowned the screenplay by the Wachowski Brother as he thought it was "Rubbish"!!

Hugo Weaving Rules
      Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
      X