Casebook Forums

Casebook Forums (https://forum.casebook.org/index.php)
-   Carroll, Lewis (https://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What do we know about this character? (https://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=2430)

Grim 03-17-2009 01:39 AM

What do we know about this character?

Why are there no posts about him yet?

Lord-z 03-17-2009 01:56 AM

Why no posts? Because you do not suspect him as being the Ripper if your brain is even the slightest bit functional.

As for what we know about him, quite a lot. His life was reasonably well documented, being a famous writer and all.

Grim 03-17-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord-z (Post 75079)
Why no posts? Because you do not suspect him as being the Ripper if your brain is even the slightest bit functional.

I never said I didn't suspect him. For all you know he may be my primary suspect. Believe me when I say my brain is far more functional than yours.

If this man is indeed a suspect and has a forum dedicated to him then more information regarding said character should be in the suspect frame to the left of this site.

Lord-z 03-17-2009 02:50 AM

I have no doubt that your brain is working, which is why I am sure that he is not your main suspect.

The entire reason for suspecting Carroll, or Dogdson, is based on a shoddy anagramisation of choice sentences of his work. And if the anagramiser(?) can't get the anagram to work, why, he changes a few letters to make it work.

And, honestly, the only reason why he is here is because the site is going after being as complete as possible, with every single suspect, no matter how unlikely.

Grim 03-17-2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord-z (Post 75086)
I have no doubt that your brain is working, which is why I am sure that he is not your main suspect.

The entire reason for suspecting Carroll, or Dogdson, is based on a shoddy anagramisation of choice sentences of his work. And if the anagramiser(?) can't get the anagram to work, why, he changes a few letters to make it work.

And, honestly, the only reason why he is here is because the site is going after being as complete as possible, with every single suspect, no matter how unlikely.

Thank you for answering my question.

God bless!

Shelley 04-29-2009 08:44 PM

Blimey, i would have thought Henry Turner to be more of a candidate than Lewis Carroll. Carroll was a children's book writer. It was Charles Dickens who was also a writer & criminologist, who helped to cease public hangings.

prowling cat 06-15-2009 07:23 PM

Gosh, what a lovely thought. It is a pity Dickens died in 1870, he'd have made a wonderful suspect, with his incredible knowledge of the East End.
I'm not a very knowledgeable ripperologist (yet) but I feel that Carroll has often been seen as odd, because of his relationship with the Liddell girls - that's another can of worms, no need to open it here.
Probably that sent people on to his scent as a probable Ripper candidate in the first place.
Cat

babybird67 06-15-2009 07:30 PM

oh i dont know

dead in 1870 shouldnt rule him out, surely?:lol:

Jane Welland 06-15-2009 07:34 PM

Lovely!

Anagrammatist!

But I like yours better!

Jane x

Justin 06-16-2009 05:40 AM

I spent two years conducting non JTR-related Carroll research. Quite aside from the ridiculous anagrams -- and the fact that nothing in Carroll's very well-documented life can be considered violent -- he was in Oxford or elsewhere when the murders were committed!

Worth adding to the defence, that's all :laugh4: