The Whitechapel Society 1888 Victims Conference 8 Sept. 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whitechapel Society 1888 Victims Conference 8 Sept. 2018

Thread for discussion of the talks from the Whitechapel Society 1888's 'Victims' Conference held at the Hanbury Hall in London on 8 September, 2018.

Links to the talks will be provided in separate posts below.

Also available in iTunes, TuneIn Radio, Mixcloud, Podbean, Podcast Addict and in the myriad of other places Your Podcast on Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders can be found.

Special thank you to Steve Rattey, Ruby Vitorino, Frogg Moody and all of the committee members of the Whitechapel Society 1888.

Stay Tuned,

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 09-09-2018, 09:41 AM.

Louise Raw

Striking a Light: East End Women

JM

Comment

I'm reading elsewhere a person saying that Hallie Rubenhold's talk contained no new information about any of the victims and therefore failed to live up to expectations. The person claiming this wasn't there and is relying on the opinion of only one other person in the audience.

I have heard the talk and I can tell you that not only did Rubenhold offer new information and make claim on a few discoveries but she also gave a fresh perspective on biographical details about some of the victims that we're already familiar with.

It was a really good talk. The best I've heard in quite awhile. She has clearly done her research into the lives of the C5.

JM
      Last edited by jmenges; 09-15-2018, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        I'm reading elsewhere a person saying that Hallie Rubenhold's talk contained no new information about any of the victims and therefore failed to live up to expectations. The person claiming this wasn't there and is relying on the opinion of only one other person in the audience.

I have heard the talk and I can tell you that not only did Rubenhold offer new information and make claim on a few discoveries but she also gave a fresh perspective on biographical details about some of the victims that we're already familiar with.

It was a really good talk. The best I've heard in quite awhile. She has clearly done her research into the lives of the C5.

JM
        I'm probably wrong, but I suspect the adverse comment was directed at the organisers rather than the quality of the speakers. I had a ticket, but unfortunately a more pressing commitment prevented me from attending. I have heard that her talk contained some new information and, as I didn't expect Rubenhold to reveal anything new before her book is published in six months, this possibly suggests that her book will contain a lot more.

Comment

JM
          JM,

Did you sign the official secrets act, or can you reveal the new discoveries/perspectives?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            JM,

Did you sign the official secrets act, or can you reveal the new discoveries/perspectives?

Gary
            I've talked to a few people who attended and they are free to comment here or on Howard's site as to what was said.
            In my case Hallie and I agreed that I wouldn't share the content of her talk publicly, that I would wait until she gives me the green light to release it, and she has agreed to an interview after we've all had a chance to read her book in March.

Not so much an official secrets act as it is an agreement between an author and Rippercast.

JM

Comment

I've talked to a few people who attended and they are free to comment here or on Howard's site as to what was said.
              In my case Hallie and I agreed that I wouldn't share the content of her talk publicly, that I would wait until she gives me the green light to release it, and she has agreed to an interview after we've all had a chance to read her book in March.

Not so much an official secrets act as it is an agreement between an author and Rippercast.

JM
              Understood. I've got the book on order, but I'm itching to know what that is new has been found. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Comment

JM
                Fair enough, Jonathan. I'm glad to hear (from several sources) that she has some new information. Nobody has a beef with her book, I hope, just with her tweets about Ripperology and Ripperologists.

Comment

Understood. I've got the book on order, but I'm itching to know what that is new has been found. Patience is not one of my virtues.
                  Thanks for understanding. Six months is a long time to wait, but you can guarantee I'll be following the comments of researchers such as yourself and Debs once you've read her book and any serious questions or concerns raised can be asked on our show.

JM

Comment

What if we learned that none of them were born in Whitechapel, or even in the East End, but ended up there after living full lives elsewhere? What if we learned that these women had been either wives or mothers or both? What would we think of ourselves and our society for never having questioned these things?
                    I hope that this isn’t the author’s idea of new?
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                      I hope that this isn’t the author’s idea of new?
                      No, but the claim that the 5 'rubbed shoulders' with Dickens is. That really intrigues me.

Comment

Hi,
                        ''What the Dickens''
                        Regards Richard.

Comment

JM
                          What? Someone is spreading hearsay about an event they hadn’t attended?

Now why would they do that?

Monty
                          🤫
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Charley Dickens did indeed visit Whitechapel, and wrote about it in 1879.

Monty
                            🙂
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Charley Dickens did indeed visit Whitechapel, and wrote about it in 1879.

Monty
                              🙂
                              Pretty impressive for a man who died in 1870!

Comment

Working...
                              X