Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
    We thrive on that.

Also a nation of Ripperologists.....

Ripper mate!
    Gotta go for a slash!
    Stretch mate sounds like you might need to syphin the python or let the on eyed trouser snake out for a bit of a run.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Doubt Barry Humphries would remember me.

He and Geoffrey Rush reside in my old suburb.

Jan Sardi wrote the screenplay that Geoff won his Academy Award with.
      Last edited by DJA; 12-02-2015, 01:25 PM. Reason: his
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
        "The Man Who Came to Dinner" is one of my favourite films, and surely one of the funniest ever made.

I attach a link of Jimmy Durante singing to Monty.
        I am sure that his laughter at the Schnozz's antics is genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dWAN4D3WEE
        Thanks for the site - I happen to like "The Man Who Came to Dinner" too. There is a radio show of it with Clifton Webb as Whiteside, and he does well in the part, though Monty Wooley made it his own. Interestingly, while he is with Maggie looking over the get well messages one has been added - Whiteside gets a telegram hoping he gets well from Lynn Belvedere. The radio version is also on You Tube.

If you are not aware of it "Banjo" is based on "Harpo Marx" who was a close friend of Alexander Woolcott, the original for "Sheridan Whiteside". Both were members of the Algonquin Round Table of wits, which included George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart, who wrote "The Man Who Came To Dinner".

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
          Doubt Barry Humphries would remember me.

He and Geoffrey Rush reside in my old suburb.

Jan Sardi wrote the screenplay that Geoff won his Academy Award with.
          Met Barry I few times back when I was managing a hotel, a very very smart man.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• He used to live near the Camberwell Footy Ground,a block from Finsbury Way.

Hilarious guy.

Drank at the same pub in Richmond in the 1960s.
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Thanks for the site - I happen to like "The Man Who Came to Dinner" too. There is a radio show of it with Clifton Webb as Whiteside, and he does well in the part, though Monty Wooley made it his own. Interestingly, while he is with Maggie looking over the get well messages one has been added - Whiteside gets a telegram hoping he gets well from Lynn Belvedere. The radio version is also on You Tube.

If you are not aware of it "Banjo" is based on "Harpo Marx" who was a close friend of Alexander Woolcott, the original for "Sheridan Whiteside". Both were members of the Algonquin Round Table of wits, which included George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart, who wrote "The Man Who Came To Dinner".
              Thanks for this Mayerling!

Yeah I knew the background to the movie, but I wasn't aware that Clifton Webb was in a radio version, I will certainly check it out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Portrait of Jennie
                Random Harvest
                No Highway in the Sky
                The Haunting
                The Green Man
                Green for Danger
                The Devil Rides Out
                The King and I (musical version)
                Oliver
                My Fair Lady
                A Man For All Seasons
                The Cat and the Canary
                All the Roger Corman horror films
                The Blue Dahlia
                While I Live
                The Glass Mountain
                As a newbie, I am reading old topics and am pleased to see "Portrait of Jennie" at the head of someone's list. I thought no one loved that old film but me. "A Kid For Two Farthings" would be high on my list, as well, although hardly anyone in America knows it.

Comment

• Welcome Aldebaran....and great list

couple questions... Which Cat and the Canary (or all versions).. I prefer the 1927 version... I wish a copy of The Cat Creeps would pop up one day!!...thanks for including the Corman films as well!!

and A Kid For Two Farthings... Is that the movie with the "Unicorn".. I think I saw that when I was a kid (no pun intended).. but hardly remember it.

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                    Welcome Aldebaran....and great list

couple questions... Which Cat and the Canary (or all versions).. I prefer the 1927 version... I wish a copy of The Cat Creeps would pop up one day!!...thanks for including the Corman films as well!!

and A Kid For Two Farthings... Is that the movie with the "Unicorn".. I think I saw that when I was a kid (no pun intended).. but hardly remember it.

Steadmund Brand
                    Hello and thanks. The list was not mine but originally that of "Robert", which I quoted. Several of his favorites are also mine, but I do not recall any "Cat and the Canary" [but that doesn't mean I never viewed a film by that name]. Yes, "A Kid For Two Farthings" features a quest for a unicorn in a London neighborhood. It is a magical movie. I think it is not really for children, though, and a child would not be able to appreciate it--especially the kids of today

Comment

• Thanks Aldebaran for revitalizing the movie favorites checklist. It's sort of dormant for the last six months. If you want to put down a list for any particular film type, director, actor, or even class A producer, or music composer, just go ahead.

Jeff

Comment

• Okay, here is my own list of favorite films, although I will probably end up forgetting some:

Portrait of Jennie
                        A Kid For Two Farthings
                        Roman Holiday
                        Camille
                        Laura
                        Zulu
                        The Bridge Over the River Kwai
                        Lawrence of Arabia
                        The Lodger
                        Emma
                        Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Any movie with Bette Davis or Claude Rains in it
                        Last edited by Aldebaran; 06-16-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Zulu
                          the caretaker
                          Apocalypse now
                          Brighton rock
                          Monty python and the holy grail
                          Quadrophenia

Comment

• Any list of mine would include'Tower of London',with Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff,also 'Witness for the Prosecution',Tyrone Power,Marlene Deitrich and Charles Laughton.

Comment

• Tower of London what a great pick...Karloff as Mord is one of my all time favorite roles of his....Rathbone is fantastic and of course a very early screen appearance by Vincent Price as the Duke of Clarence..

I say we start a new list.... favorite Vincent Price films.... as there are so many lets just go with 5 or 10 to start... of course these will be just off the top of the head so our lists can be changed i'll start

1-Champagne for Caesar-1950.. Price in a very comedic role..steals the movie.

2-House of wax-1953- a true classic- one of the few remakes possibly better than the original ( even though the original, Mystery of the Wax Museum, is amazing as well!!)

3-The Mad Magician-1954.. another 3D film...but darker than most

4-The Last Man on Earth-1964.. I think the creepiest version of this story....a bit campy at times but great over all vibe

5-Witchfinder General (Conqueror Worm)-1968... after so many camp Corman Poe films along came this quite sinister one.. excellent performance!

6-The Abominable Dr. Phibes- 1971..I wish I could put both Phibes films as one...just great fun.

7-While the City Sleeps-1956..a noir film by legendary Fritz Lang... not the biggest role for Vincent.. but a great film

8-The Pit and the Pendulum-1961.. Now this is a Corman/Poe classic!!

9-Confessions of an Opium Eater-1962.. I'll pick this for now because it is just SO DIFFERENT for Price...very physical film for him as well.

10-Theatre of Blood-1973..Possibly my favorite of all of his films...camp, terror, shock... everything you could want... and it really shows off the acting chops Price had...plus the scene where he is "Butch" the hairdresser in the orange Afro wig....one of the hardest laughs I ever had when I first saw it!!

well.. that's my list to start the ball rolling... please feel free to comment... add.. or make your own lists!!

Steadmund Brand
                              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                                Any list of mine would include'Tower of London',with Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff,also 'Witness for the Prosecution',Tyrone Power,Marlene Deitrich and Charles Laughton.
                                Yes to both--they are among the movies I can watch over and over and enjoy them as much as I did the first time. Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes with the very enjoyable Nigel Bruce as Dr. Watson is how I started to form a picture of Victorian or Edwardian London as a youngster in America. They showed those old pictures on television every day about the time I came home from school and they were something to relax to--yet were educational, as well. I began to learn the basics about how Scotland Yard worked and my interest evolved from there. I think even Hollywood was besotted with Victorian London. In my recollection, a lot of films seemed to have those foggy streets for a setting. One goofy thing happened, though. Hollywood could not leave Sherlock out of the events of WWII--and there was Basil still as a youngish man about forty years from the time Queen Victoria died.
                                Last edited by Aldebaran; 06-17-2016, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X