Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayerling
    replied
    Should have done this last month:

Best Films of Debbie Reynolds

1) The Unsinkable Molly Brown
    2) Singin' in the Rain
    3) Tammy and the Bachelor
    4) The Mating Season
    5) How the West Was Won
    6) The Tender Trap
    7) Susan Slept Here
    8) Goodbye Charlie
    9) Three Little Words (she sings "I Wanna Be Loved by You" as "Helen Kane" here)
    10) Two Weeks with Love (where she and Carleton Carpenter sing "Abba Dabba Honeymoon").

Carrie Fisher Films
    1-3) The First Star War Trilogy
    4) The film she completed last year in the series
    5) When Harry Met Sally

Both of the ladies worked together on a television film (now 17 years old!) with Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Collins, "These Old Broads". It was the first time Reynolds and Taylor appeared together on film at all, and it reminded people that Taylor had stolen Eddie Fisher (Carrie's father) from Reynolds in 1960. That marriage ended as soon as Taylor met Richard Burton in 1963 making Cleopatra. Rumor said that Taylor, Reynolds, and Fisher, when comparing notes, all concluded Eddie was something of a self-centered idiot.

Zsa Zsa Gabor Films
    1) Queen of Outer Space
    2) Moulin Rouge (1953 - the original with Jose Ferrer as Toulouse Lautrec, directed by John Houston)
    3) Touch of Evil (1958 - Yeah, she's in it as a bordello madam, but only for a minute or so. The females in this to recall are Janet Leigh, Marlene Dietrich, and Mercedes McCambridge as a lesbian tough)
    4) Boys Night Out (Zsa Zsa appears in a cameo at the tail-end of the film with actor Larry Keating playing James Garner's boss, and repeating in some dialog with him a point of view that was the basis of the film's comedy before she showed up).
    5) Youngblood Hawk (a film version of the life - fictionalized - of author Thomas Wolfe (James Franciscus)).
    6) Death of a Scoundrel (1955 - her only film with then husband George Sanders; he is a ruthless tycoon against everyone, whose death is the subject of the story. It happens to be the fictionalized version of the still unsolved 1955 murder of ruthless, unlikeable tycoon Sergei Rubinstein, in his Manhattan townhouse).

Jeff
    Last edited by Mayerling; 01-04-2017, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Originally posted by DJA View Post
    https://archive.org/details/OutsideTheLaw
    1920 original.

Good luck with the others.
    Thanks, I got Outside the Law on DVD & Widow is out now on the Warner Archive. I'd love to see Nite Ride though, it's certainly number 1 on my list of films to see

Leave a comment:

• dantheman
    replied
    Here's a few:

The Terminator
    Braveheart
    Donnie Darko
    Mad Max
    Friday the 13th (1-4)
    Halloween (original)
    Nightmare on Elm St
    Conan the Barbarian (original)
    Lord of the Rings trilogy
    Bladerunner
    Alien
    American Physco
    Silent Night Deadly Night
    The Wanderers
    The Thing

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    Hey anybody seen Nite Ride 1930 with EGR as a gangster? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021183/...m_flmg_act_109

I'm dying to see this, if anyone has or knows a link let me know. Also would love to see Widow from Chicago and Outside the Law again if anyone knows anywhere to see them!
    Outside the Law is a 1920 crime film directed by Tod Browning. Browning remade the film in 1930. Black Mike (Lon Chaney) is a despicable gangster who lures...

1920 original.

Good luck with the others.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    My five favorite films in the numerical section at Blockbuster:

5/ 10,000 BC (2008)
    4/ 10 (1979)
    3/ 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
    2/ 21 (2008)
    1/ 40-Year-Old Virgin, The (2005)

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Hey anybody seen Nite Ride 1930 with EGR as a gangster? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021183/...m_flmg_act_109

I'm dying to see this, if anyone has or knows a link let me know. Also would love to see Widow from Chicago and Outside the Law again if anyone knows anywhere to see them!

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    I'm gonna watch corsair 31 and Alibi 29 as well. It's hard to track down these early lesser known gangster films. I'll search for years and then all of a sudden one will pop up I'd missed like "Now i'll tell" about Rothstein where it's like how did I miss this one (not that it's great just that the subject matter is). Someone needs to compile a conclusive list off all the early gangster films

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Saw some great gangster flicks today. Now I'll Tell 1934 with Spencer Tracy playing Arnold Rothstein. A cool picture a little sappy since it's post hayes code. The Secret Six from 31 is pretty raw, Slaugterhouse Scorpio (Wallace Beery) is the main character supposed to be like Capone. It's similar to little caesar but with a more pronounced good guys angle. Gable plays a reporter who is undercover for the cops. Thunderbolt from 1929 is pretty raw, George Bancroft is a badass gangster and it's pretty good for it's time, real fast paced. Also saw Dancers in the Dark which has George Raft as a gangster Louie who hangs out in a dance hall. This ones ok a little cheesy but the main story centers on a love story between a sax player and a dancehall girl. I watched the Pay Off from 1930 which is pretty silly as well but I just love anything from that time with mobsters. In this one the mobsters have that transatlantic accident which makes it pretty goofy

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    just saw Bad Company 1931. Add this to the list of 31 gangster classics. Ricardo Cortez is disturbing as an Al Capone like mob boss. He lives in that same world as Rico, Tommy Powers and Tony Camonte. Highly Recommended. I also saw Manhattan Melodrama from 1934. Always disliked Gable but this film made me like him as a gangster. I read about Dance Fools Dance from 31 starring Gable. It sounds very promising with the imdv summary referencing the St. Valentines Day Massacre. Can;t wait to see this one!

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    havent seen it but it's a gangster pic from 31, clark gable plays a reporter i think...been wanting to see it for a while

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    Hey Mayer have u seen the finger points 1931(
    No I haven't. In fact this is the first time I heard of the title. It's a good film?

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Hey Mayer have u seen the finger points 1931(

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    A couple more :

Noel Coward
    Michael Wilding
    Just saw Wilding in "The Scarlet Coat" (about the Benedict Arnold Treason plot) on last Independence Day (on the Turner Classic Channel). He plays Major John Andre, and while Cornel Wilde is the hero of the film, and the lead villain is George Sanders, it is Wilding's movie - his role is the one we end up sympathizing with. Anyone who studies that incident knows that while he was deeply involved in the plot, Andre was a British patriot, and got snared by ill-luck in that he was captured while Arnold got away. He was made into a example of what "spies" would suffer, by Washington (although Washington himself regretted it - he hoped Arnold would be returned for Andre). There is a memorial to Major Andre in Westminster Abbey.

For anyone interested, Robert Douglas played Arnold. Douglas, a good actor usually playing villains (he is the obnoxious architecture critic "Tuomy" in "The Fountainhead") must have read up on his role, as he make sure to properly limp in the part - Arnold, in his earlier American patriot days, was twice wounded in the same leg at the second battle for Quebec, and at Saratoga. No actor was assigned to play the role of Sir Henry Clinton, the British Commander in New York City. No actor plays Washington either (as he does not appear in the movie). The head of Andre's court-martial trial (John Dehner) is playing General Nathaniel Greene.

Jeff
    Last edited by Mayerling; 07-18-2016, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Hey Mayer, thanks I've seen every Cagney flik except steal anything small (I have a copy though) and gallant hours. I forgot to mentiin smart money from 31! As for plays, and biopics of my idols I can't stand them but m glad cags is getting some love for sure! I'm also glad he's not trendy!

Leave a comment:

• Aldebaran
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    A couple more :

Noel Coward
    Michael Wilding

I noticed long ago that Liz Taylor looked so happy on all her photos with hubby, Michael Wilding. A pity that didn't last, but they certainly made a handsome couple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X