Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    True about Charlie. Unfortunately, four days exactly after Charlie is born Adolf is.

On a brighter note - Harold Lloyd was also born on April 20th (as was this writer - though in far later years).

Jeff
    I doubt I'll be on Casebook next week Jeff, so happy Birthday in advance.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      I doubt I'll be on Casebook next week Jeff, so happy Birthday in advance.
      Thank you GUT. Hope you have a good week.

Jeff

Comment

Thank you GUT. Hope you have a good week.

Jeff
        I suspect it won't be I think the Judge may just be against me most of the week.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hello GUT.. hope all is well.. how long will you be gone?

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Mayerling... a most happy birthday to you my friend.. a toast to you!!

Since tomorrow is Chaplin's birthday.. I think we should all pay tribute to a true pioneer and master... let's make a list of our 5 favorite Chaplin films..

1- City Lights-1931 I truly believe this may be one of the greatest films ever made.. I've said so much about this film in other posts I’ll move on.
            2-Limelight- 1952 very moving touching film, plus you get Chaplin and Keaton together!!!
            3- The Cure- 1917 ( I wanted to have at least 1 short on my list.. and this one has some classic moments (as so many do) but this one makes me laugh more than most.
            4- The Great Dictator- 1940- the end of the tramp...and one of the bravest films ever made...and the end where he addresses the crowd as Hynkle...a truly beautiful moment in film.

and 5- The Kid- 1921- Coogan is amazing, Chaplin breaks your heart and the dream sequence is so much fun!!!

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
              Mayerling... a most happy birthday to you my friend.. a toast to you!!

Since tomorrow is Chaplin's birthday.. I think we should all pay tribute to a true pioneer and master... let's make a list of our 5 favorite Chaplin films..

1- City Lights-1931 I truly believe this may be one of the greatest films ever made.. I've said so much about this film in other posts I’ll move on.
              2-Limelight- 1952 very moving touching film, plus you get Chaplin and Keaton together!!!
              3- The Cure- 1917 ( I wanted to have at least 1 short on my list.. and this one has some classic moments (as so many do) but this one makes me laugh more than most.
              4- The Great Dictator- 1940- the end of the tramp...and one of the bravest films ever made...and the end where he addresses the crowd as Hynkle...a truly beautiful moment in film.

and 5- The Kid- 1921- Coogan is amazing, Chaplin breaks your heart and the dream sequence is so much fun!!!

Steadmund Brand
              Charlie also wrote some pretty good songs.
              G U T

Comment

Mayerling... a most happy birthday to you my friend.. a toast to you!!

Steadmund Brand
                Thank you very much Steadmund.

Hmmm. Five tops for Chaplin. Given that genius' track record it's hard for choices.

1) The Gold Rush
                2) Monsieur Verdoux
                3) The Great Dictator
                4) Modern Times
                5) One of the Mutual Comedies. I tend to head for "One A.M" as it is Chaplin's sole foray into a solo performance on film, but if one considers his work with Edna Purviance and that tragic figure Eric Campbell it would "Easy Street".

Had it been 10 films easily "City Lights", "The Kid", and "Limelght" (for his duet with Keaton) would have made the list too.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  Charlie also wrote some pretty good songs.
                  My favorite one of the tunes in his films is probably "Smiles", with the theme from "City Lights" runner up.

Jeff

Comment

My favorite one of the tunes in his films is probably "Smiles", with the theme from "City Lights" runner up.

Jeff
                    And of course "This is my Song" a number 2 for Petula Clarke
                    G U T

Comment

Thank you very much Steadmund.

Hmmm. Five tops for Chaplin. Given that genius' track record it's hard for choices.

1) The Gold Rush
                      2) Monsieur Verdoux
                      3) The Great Dictator
                      4) Modern Times
                      5) One of the Mutual Comedies. I tend to head for "One A.M" as it is Chaplin's sole foray into a solo performance on film, but if one considers his work with Edna Purviance and that tragic figure Eric Campbell it would "Easy Street".

Had it been 10 films easily "City Lights", "The Kid", and "Limelght" (for his duet with Keaton) would have made the list too.

Jeff
                      Great list Monsieur Verdoux was so close to being on my list in place of The Kid...it was a coin flip decision for me.

Happy Birthday Charles!!!

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Great list Monsieur Verdoux was so close to being on my list in place of The Kid...it was a coin flip decision for me.

Happy Birthday Charles!!!

Steadmund Brand
                        Charlie, enjoy your day! Hope Edna, Mabel, Eric, Mack, Jackie, Buster, Harold, and Harry are with you having cake.

Jeff

Comment

Charlie, enjoy your day! Hope Edna, Mabel, Eric, Mack, Jackie, Buster, Harold, and Harry are with you having cake.

Jeff
                          And Stan.. don't forget to invite your understudy!!! we promise to keep Hurst away!!

Steadmund Brand

Comment

And Stan.. don't forget to invite your understudy!!! we promise to keep Hurst away!!

Steadmund Brand
                            And Stan can bring Ollie as well.

Comment

• **Looks and Mayerling and nods once**

Steadmund Brand

Comment

• "And Stan can bring Ollie as well."

I certainly can. Why, if we put our two heads together, we'll be twice as dumb as we are now.

Comment

Working...
                                X