Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Book

    Hi everyone,

    HI everyone,

    Just wanted to share with you that I have a book coming out on Monday, for those that may be interested. Entitled A Dangerous Place: The Story of the Railway Murders, it is the first full-length account of the crimes of John Duffy and David Mulcahy.

    It is partly about my late father, as he was one of the Senior Investigating Officers on this, his last case. The case also saw the birth of psychological profiling in British policing.

    Details are here. Many thanks!

    http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/pub...9780750965897/

  • #2
    Excellent. I'll be getting this. Very best of luck with it sir.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3D.com JtR 3D Blog
    ---------------------------------------------------
    HHAP

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you, Richard.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looking forward to reading this - this case was groundbreaking in many ways. Also wish you the best of luck with it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Writerboy View Post
          Hi everyone,

          HI everyone,

          Just wanted to share with you that I have a book coming out on Monday, for those that may be interested. Entitled A Dangerous Place: The Story of the Railway Murders, it is the first full-length account of the crimes of John Duffy and David Mulcahy.

          It is partly about my late father, as he was one of the Senior Investigating Officers on this, his last case. The case also saw the birth of psychological profiling in British policing.

          Details are here. Many thanks!

          http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/pub...9780750965897/
          Thanks, and good luck with your book. I also shall be purchasing a copy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi all,

            Just wanted to share with you that I have a book coming out on Monday, for those that may be interested. Entitled A Dangerous Place: The Story of the Railway Murders, it is the first full-length account of the crimes of John Duffy and David Mulcahy.
            Very much interested in this book. This case has been one that fascinated me. Good Luck Sir!

            Nicky
            ---------------------------------------------------
            "We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
            - Ted Bundy

            Comment


            • #7
              I am not familiar with this case, though it reminds a little of the Night Stalker crimes in California during the Seventies (? I think it was). Thank you for writing a book about it. Do you think it will be available in the United States?
              Pat D.
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

              Comment


              • #8
                Good luck with the book.
                G U T

                There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Looks like a true crime, must read.

                  Well done Simon.
                  dustymiller
                  aka drstrange


                  "Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
                  Fisherman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    I am not familiar with this case, though it reminds a little of the Night Stalker crimes in California during the Seventies (? I think it was). Thank you for writing a book about it. Do you think it will be available in the United States?
                    I'm not sure, actually. I'm sure it can be purchased online and sent overseas though?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's taken me a long time to do so, but I've just finished reading this book.

                      Simon - I'd like to congratulate you because it's really very, very good indeed. It's a rare thing indeed for me to feel moved to actually write a review of a book, but in this case I would like to. I remember the murders so well, particularly Maartje Tamboezer - I was approaching my 10th birthday when she was killed, and the black and white picture of her play pouting for the camera has always stuck in my head for some reason.

                      Firstly, it's extremely sympathetically written. While you are left in no doubt of the horror of what those women went through at the hands of Mulcahy and Duffy, it doesn't glorify the violence or go into grisly detail. An air of respect for the victims is maintained throughout - I suspect that Simon's Father would approve of the way that the details of the rapes and murders were handled. The respect that Simon (and all of DS Farquhar's colleagues) had for him flows through the pages.

                      Secondly, it's refreshing - to say the least - to read a book that focuses on the story from the point of view of the investigative team. It's almost like Mulcahy and Duffy are relegated to a footnote in history - two abnormal, impotent and unimportant men, who would never have had the slightest impact on the world on their own, had they not met. I suspect that time and age have made Duffy genuinely contrite for what he did - I am not in the least bit sorry that he has the rest of his life to reflect upon the misery that he brought to the world.

                      While reading the book, I was horrified to discover that Mulcahy has a website. The drivel that is being spouted on that site tested my belief in freedom of speech to the absolute limit. From Simon's book, I understand that DM also named every single victim on his grotesque site (even the previously anonymous rape victims) and quite who is assisting him in this venture is a mind boggling thought. The only slight disappointment for me is that he's spent a decade less in prison than his dear friend.

                      I highly, highly recommend the book - gripping and thoughtfully written.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
                        It's taken me a long time to do so, but I've just finished reading this book.

                        Simon - I'd like to congratulate you because it's really very, very good indeed. It's a rare thing indeed for me to feel moved to actually write a review of a book, but in this case I would like to. I remember the murders so well, particularly Maartje Tamboezer - I was approaching my 10th birthday when she was killed, and the black and white picture of her play pouting for the camera has always stuck in my head for some reason.

                        Firstly, it's extremely sympathetically written. While you are left in no doubt of the horror of what those women went through at the hands of Mulcahy and Duffy, it doesn't glorify the violence or go into grisly detail. An air of respect for the victims is maintained throughout - I suspect that Simon's Father would approve of the way that the details of the rapes and murders were handled. The respect that Simon (and all of DS Farquhar's colleagues) had for him flows through the pages.

                        Secondly, it's refreshing - to say the least - to read a book that focuses on the story from the point of view of the investigative team. It's almost like Mulcahy and Duffy are relegated to a footnote in history - two abnormal, impotent and unimportant men, who would never have had the slightest impact on the world on their own, had they not met. I suspect that time and age have made Duffy genuinely contrite for what he did - I am not in the least bit sorry that he has the rest of his life to reflect upon the misery that he brought to the world.

                        While reading the book, I was horrified to discover that Mulcahy has a website. The drivel that is being spouted on that site tested my belief in freedom of speech to the absolute limit. From Simon's book, I understand that DM also named every single victim on his grotesque site (even the previously anonymous rape victims) and quite who is assisting him in this venture is a mind boggling thought. The only slight disappointment for me is that he's spent a decade less in prison than his dear friend.

                        I highly, highly recommend the book - gripping and thoughtfully written.
                        Thank you so much for this, it means a huge amount to me. It was an extraordinary journey to go on, and I couldn't have wished for more that what you have taken the trouble to write here.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The pleasure is definitely mine.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X