escape committe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
    Hey.. us Yanks can re-write history ya know.... we all know the real truth.... James Garner did more than anyone..and even stole a plane!!! and Steve McQueen, well Steve McQueen almost single handedly beat the Germans….that’s history innit? Who cares that in reality there were no Americans involved…..USA USA USA!!!!

Steadmund Brand
    Reminds me of a small tempest in a teacup from 1945. Errol Flynn, for some physical cause, could not be drafted in the U.S. army (or Australian one for that matter), so he spent the entire war making movies in Hollywood (I don't think he even went out to entertain troops or sell bonds - we won't go into the Charles Higham theory that he was a Nazi sympathizer here). He made a successful war field, "Objective, Burma" in 1945, that was shown to growing disapproval in Britain and the commonwealth. Why? Because it suggested that the Burma campaign was cleared up by the small detachment of soldiers (all Americans) led by Flynn. No mention of the British really, and heaven forbid any mention of Field Marshall William Slim. As a result the film did not do as well outside the U.S.

Jeff

Comment

[QUOTE=Mayerling;313688]Reminds me of a small tempest in a teacup from 1945. Errol Flynn, for some physical cause, could not be drafted in the U.S. army (or Australian one for that matter), so he spent the entire war making movies in Hollywood

Lets be fair... this was Errol Flynn... he was far too busy with his other..... "hobby's" to serve in the military

Sorry Gut....had to be said

Steadmund Brand----
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
        Escape is futile!

The Casebook is a Mobius Strip.
        I may be the only other person who got it -

but YOU, dear Sir or Madam, win the Internet!

Your new friend,
        Archaic

Comment

[QUOTE=Steadmund Brand;313694]
          Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
          Reminds me of a small tempest in a teacup from 1945. Errol Flynn, for some physical cause, could not be drafted in the U.S. army (or Australian one for that matter), so he spent the entire war making movies in Hollywood

Lets be fair... this was Errol Flynn... he was far too busy with his other..... "hobby's" to serve in the military

Sorry Gut....had to be said

Steadmund Brand----
          But 'tis true Errol kept rather busy.

And as he was from Tasmania who can name the physical cause.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure, but Errol certainly was (with apologies to Chuck Jones) one Tasmanian Devil.

[Sorry Gut, you opened that one up. Cue the "Merrie Melodies" sign off music - "THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!"]

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Well, I'm not sure, but Errol certainly was (with apologies to Chuck Jones) one Tasmanian Devil.

[Sorry Gut, you opened that one up. Cue the "Merrie Melodies" sign off music - "THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!"]
              Everyone knows that errol must have had two heads, as all Taswegians do.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post

Your new friend,
                Archaic
                Cheers Archaic!
                Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Comment

Escape is futile!

The Casebook is a Mobius Strip.

Your new friend,
                  Archaic
                  Cheers Archaic!
                  Yeah, I was wondering about that.
                  Hi barnflatwyngarde.

Yes, it's official. You are the Internet Champion. Your comment would have gone straight to the top of replies on Gawker.

It might be kind of fun to keep track of how many times 'Mobius Strip' is googled.

Thanks for doing your part to expand minds while making pithy comments.

- Can I call you barnie?

Cheers,
                  Bunny

Comment

Hi barnflatwyngarde.

Yes, it's official. You are the Internet Champion. Your comment would have gone straight to the top of replies on Gawker.

It might be kind of fun to keep track of how many times 'Mobius Strip' is googled.

Thanks for doing your part to expand minds while making pithy comments.

- Can I call you barnie?

Cheers,
                    Bunny
                    Hi Archaic.
                    As you can probably tell, I am a newbie to the Casebook Forums, but I am enjoying it.

I recently Posted on Pub Talk a clip of a guy called Dan Reeder performing one of his songs.
                    As of this moment it has had 59 views and no replies.
                    From this I can safely assume that my taste in music is pretty weird.
                    This is just the encouragement I need to keep posting eclectic music clips.

Re calling me Barnie: in the immortal words of Oliver Hardy "You most certainly can".
                    (you have to imagine it in his voice).

Comment

I say chaps poor show not heard from the Aussie for ages wonder how the tunnels coming along?
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                        I say chaps poor show not heard from the Aussie for ages wonder how the tunnels coming along?
                        Bit tough to report in when you're digging, it's a damn long way from Newie to London.
                        G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          Bit tough to report in when you're digging, it's a damn long way from Newie to London.
                          I wouldn't mind old chap but we did give you two tea spoons and this rate we will be stuck here for years.
                          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

I wouldn't mind old chap but we did give you two tea spoons and this rate we will be stuck here for years.
                            My goodness mate if I have to keep coming out to report in will never get you out, so you'll stay in.
                            Last edited by GUT; 10-11-2014, 03:14 PM.
                            G U T

Comment

Cheers,
                              Bunny
                              You two can start your list with me if you like - I've just googled it. I think I understand it but I got somewhat disorientated when I read the dreaded word 'mathematical' (not to mention very upset) and I now have to go and lie down for a bit.

Carol

Comment

What about us girls? Can we join in? Fair do's and all that. We're holding out in the attic of Café Wilhelm here in the town square. There are three of us - all of us are WAAF's. (Rather not say how we ended up here if you don't mind, old chap). We've had a lot of experience in creating diversions if that would help.

Toodlepip, old thing.

WAAF Sanders (2nd class)

P.S. I'm reasonably fluent in Swedish if you decide to go that way.
                                Last edited by Carol; 10-12-2014, 08:20 AM. Reason: Left the thingy out of the watsit.

Comment

Working...
                                X