Private sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
    It is suggested that the re-testing would ideally be carried out by a reputable auction house ...
    In my opinion it is a no brainer that this should be done.
    I always think that phrase "no brainer" sounds distinctly double-edged.

But no doubt that suggestion is entirely consistent with the spirit of the age. After all, what did those fuddy-duddy old eggheads at the Forensic Science Service know, compared with people who are actually making money out of selling things?

Indeed, why not go further, and look for a TV tie-in? Why not get the re-testing done by
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wonnacott_tim_bargainhunt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	665241
    or even
    Click image for larger version

Name:	david-dickinson.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	665240
    ?

Why not have a red team and a blue team, each putting together a Ripper presentation that could be delivered in village halls throughout the land, and see which of them could squeeze more money out of an unsuspecting public? "Roll up, roll up ..."
    Last edited by Chris; 10-02-2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Yes Hunter I said it in reaction to his rude and arrogant attitude. Up to then I had been polite - I treat polite people politely.
      Actually you treat useful people politely. So I'm rude for not posting an image as and when you demand it? Oh well (the arrogance!)
      Last edited by AdamNeilWood; 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Has anyone suggested that Jim Swanson:
        ‘went around with his hands shaking permanently, like some gospel minister from the deep south.’
        No, I said Donald Swanson. You really need to get your Swanson family research sorted.

Comment

It seems that you only want to put documents up in order to be congratulated for proving the authenticity of the Marginalia and you take it badly if a document’s usefulness in that regard is questioned or dismissed (heaven forbid).
          So be it – you have the images.
          Here's an idea - why don't you conduct your own research and post the results here for all to see.

I seem to remember that you started this thread saying you'd heard the Swanson collection was being actively offered for private sale but didn't wish to divulge your source.

And yet here I am, 1,000 posts later, being called rude and arrogant for not posting one more letter after you demanded it be shown. This after I posted more than a dozen letters previously unseen. Hypocrisy much?
          Last edited by AdamNeilWood; 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• No you were rude with your pathetic remarks

Comment

• I wouldn't care if the guy told me he'd heard that I had a short dick and dribbled on my shoes when I pissed... I'd tell him, yes, I even have to stick my finger up my arse to jump start it... and then politely ask a question instead of being confrontational... if its information I really want.

Of course, in Ripperology, you make your mind up first, find something that fits in your mind to reinforce it, and disregard anything that might show your initial impression to be flawed... even if its from the same source... and step on anyone who gets in the way, instead of conducting research first and then developing a thesis from that.

That's really smart.
              Best Wishes,
              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
                Unless they are in YOUR house and then you don't hold them equal, you hold yours above as you acknowledge you have the right to eject them if you find their ideas and thoughts offensive. Once again, when it's YOUR personal property, your ideas have priority and that's perfectly acceptable to you. When you are in someone else's personal property, you still seem to think your opinions should have if not priority, an equal status, and other property owner's aren't allowed the same privilege you admit you hold.

And once again, no one except you has said anything about my having "the upper hand". The discussion is about stopping a discussion on my private property or the right to eject those as seen fit. You are the only one who is discussing "upper hand" whatever the hell that means in terms of this discussion, and that was not the premise under discussion.

What was under discussion is whether the property owner has the right to close the door on a discussion. You grant that privilege to yourself, while stating it's morally questionable for others to have the same right.

You aren't on equal terms in any respect. Any more than I have equal terms in your house. Nobody has "equal terms" in someone else's establishment.

Unless once again, it's in your house, and you are the one doing the ejecting. You reserve the right in your own property that you don't grant to others.

Once again, you are elevating YOUR personal property rights above those of mine.

Nobody who owns a business owes their customers anything. If they want to close their doors on a whim, they can. If they want to sell only blue shag rug on a whim, they can. If they want to ban the color blue on a whim, they can. If they want to say donkey caps must be worn to get service on Tuesdays, purely on a whim, they can.

A business can decide on a whim anything they want in regards to their business. It is THEIRS. They don't owe you anything.
                Well, Ally, I said from the outset that you would probably not be able to understand my line of reasoning. This you have managed to confirm in repetitive posts by now, and I see no reason to continue the debate. Not least since it is a meta-debate at this stage, not even peripherally touching on the true subject of the thread.

All the best,
                Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                  I think some people may be mistaking threading a hook with fly tying, the act of making a hook resemble various insects

Fly tying does not necessarily require a steady hand and is a relaxing and rewarding hobby for fly fisherman, which I can imagine Donald Swanson pottering over in his shed
                  Nemo, I donīt know whether you are a fisherman yourself or not. I am, however. And Iīve tied many a fly in my life, but I do so no longer, since I find it increasingly difficult due to lacking eyesight - and, thankfully, due to one of my sons being a very skilled fly-tier (I pay the material, he ties the flies and catches the fish eight times out of ten).

Swanson was a salmon fisherman. Have you seen the patterns of the late 19:th century salmon flies? They are very, very intricate patterns and they are considered the real test for a fly-tiers skills up to this day.

Of course, one can tie good flies and one can tie bad flies. But tying even a very bad Jock Scott for a man with PD and shaky hands would border on the impossible. It involves trimming and tying lots and lots of material and performing whiplashfinish knots and so on, laquering etcetera. And the number one requirement for being able to do this would be nothing but a steady hand.

All the best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

• The true subject of this thread went around post 5.

If the sale was indeed the true subject, or just a ruse for self bloated opinions.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Nah, that was the title of the thread Neil - the true subject is altogether different.

Comment

• Hereīs a link to Youtube. Itīs a film showing a pro tying a Jock Scott, a fly with which Swanson would have been very familiar. Have a look at the film, and then tell me that it seems the ideal pastime for a Parkinson patient with hand tremor ...

Torben Kondrup tying Jock Scott at Randers Fly Fair. February 2010, Denmark. Video: Canon eos 7d, 17-40 f4 L. Editet in Adobe premiere elements 7

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

No you were rude with your pathetic remarks
                          Now we're faced with the difficult decision as to whether that was a joke that passed over our heads.

I really think emoticons might help. You can do :-) for a joke and :-( when you are trying to insult someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                            Hereīs a link to Youtube. Itīs a film showing a pro tying a Jock Scott, a fly with which Swanson would have been very familiar. Have a look at the film, and then tell me that it seems the ideal pastime for a Parkinson patient with hand tremor ...
                            Now we need an emoticon for extreme confusion! Unless you're suggesting that DSS did have Parkinson's disease and the death certificate is a fake. I suppose anything's possible once you divest yourself of the constraints of logic and honesty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sally View Post
                              Nah, that was the title of the thread Neil - the true subject is altogether different.
                              True; it is all about character assassination. Just like Monty states, the discussion about the sale of the Swanson collection is no longer at hand, and any attempt to discuss the marginalia as such has stranded on a reef of totally thread-unrelated garbage.

And the next post coming up is one where this post of mine is ridiculed. Anything goes - anything! - as long as we donīt discuss the marginalia.

Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                                True; it is all about character assassination.
                                You said it.

Comment

Working...
                                X