Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo Story - Hermit Who Lived Alone in Maine Woods for Over 30 Years Arrested

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Photo Story - Hermit Who Lived Alone in Maine Woods for Over 30 Years Arrested

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...f308de#image=1

    I read "The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit" by Michael Finkel and it was really good. Very bizarre story.

    https://www.amazon.com/The-Stranger-...s%2C652&sr=8-1

    c.d.

  • #2
    Yeah, I've read about him but not that particular book. He was a bit of an A-hole really, not the romanticised hermit we'd like to imagine.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      Yeah, I've read about him but not that particular book. He was a bit of an A-hole really, not the romanticised hermit we'd like to imagine.
      He admitted to committing over 1,000 burglaries.

      c.d.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by c.d. View Post

        He admitted to committing over 1,000 burglaries.

        c.d.
        I'm not condoning the burglaries as that's a crappy thing to do, but I kinda like that he bothered to nick books.

        I'm an avid reader, but I'm not sure where that would be on Mazlow's Hierachy of Needs if he was surviving out in the woods alone for years on end.

        Comment


        • #5
          I immediately thought of one of my favourite Hancock’s Half Hour episodes

          https://youtu.be/WbzyiBcxDk8

          Comment


          • #6
            I think you would like the book, Ms. Diddles. Trying to understand someone whose values are so different from the rest of humanity.

            c.d.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by c.d. View Post
              I think you would like the book, Ms. Diddles. Trying to understand someone whose values are so different from the rest of humanity.

              c.d.
              Thanks c.d.

              It sounds interesting.

              Will give it a go in the new year!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

                Thanks c.d.

                It sounds interesting.

                Will give it a go in the new year!
                If we don't hear from you we will just assume you went to live in the woods and be a hermit.

                c.d.

                P.S. Believe it or not, there is actually a website devoted to hermits.

                https://www.hermitary.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by c.d. View Post

                  If we don't hear from you we will just assume you went to live in the woods and be a hermit.

                  c.d.

                  P.S. Believe it or not, there is actually a website devoted to hermits.

                  https://www.hermitary.com/
                  Living in the woods with a laptop hermit is a pretty nice market website.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    if I was to be a hermit I think I would choose a milder climate.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by String View Post
                      if I was to be a hermit I think I would choose a milder climate.
                      Winters in Maine are brutal and extremely cold. The book describes how one day he simply drove his car into the woods until he could go no further. Just got out and started walking with what he had with him. So basically no preparation.

                      c.d.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X