Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It My Round, Gents 'n' Lassies?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Hi Booksby,

    I think I may be able to answer some of your questions for you:

    Where did he work? Self-employed
    Did he work? Arguably
    What hat did he wear? Hat questions are a little ambitious for your first post
    Did he have more than one? Very ambitious for your first post (how much have you had already?)
    Did he have a favourite publican or did he do the rounds? Goodness me, your ambition knows no end!
    Could he hold his liquor? My eyes are popping out on their stalks
    Did he do drugs? Now we're cooking with gas - arsenic and strychnine
    Was syphilis what diseased his mind? Very probably
    How did he carry his knife on his person? In a small package
    Was there any person in his life who feared he may be the Ripper? His best mate George probably wondered occasionally
    Did he have a wife? Oh yes. At least one
    A mother? Definitely at least one
    A child? Loads, apparently
    And ultimately what was the cause of his roiling rage at women that birthed his psychotic break and had him lash out? Not getting his leg over with the missus

    Honestly, you're welcome. Hang around, though - there's a lot more I can fill you in on (but could we avoid the hat questions?).

    Mine's a Jack Daniels Fire, by the way.

    Sláinte,

    Ike
    Wow!
    And here all I was doing was thinking out loud til the barmaid arrived! :-O

    Okay, I'll play... ;-)

    - Self-employed, huh? Was he quite well off?
    - hats - Hey, they were the muscle cars of the 1880s. He has to have a favourite and if he's doing okay, probs has more than one. Tell me your thoughts on types or hasn't that JD kicked in yet? ;-)
    - "package" - are "we" (royal we, here) still sticking to that newspaper wrapped deal? C'mon, that's too lame even for me. One measley knife. Why a package? Was there more than one? And no, don't be tellin' me about Tabram's 38 + 1 wounds to suggest two knives. ;-)
    - "George" - now who might that be?
    - kids - How are we certain he was able to have sex? Oftentimes, men who lash out like this can only ejaculate with bloody violence.
    - wives - any alive during that year? What happened to them?
    - a leg over - No, can't be that pedestrian. You need normal sex, you hire a street woman. You don't slice, dice and julienne them like a hawker of Ginsu knives.

    Hats - now that I know hats push your buttons, I may up their mention. I'm like that. ;-)
    "We do not remember days, we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

    Cheers!

    Books by BJ Thompson
    Author - www.booksbybjthompson.com
    Email - barbara@booksbybjthompson.com

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post

      Wow!
      And here all I was doing was thinking out loud til the barmaid arrived! :-O

      Okay, I'll play... ;-)

      Hats - now that I know hats push your buttons, I may up their mention. I'm like that. ;-)
      Hats? I love 'em! I'm partial to a trilby meself. What's your tipple, headgear wise?

      So, just whilst we're chewing the cud here ...

      - Self-employed, huh? Was he quite well off? Minted. Though the missus had run up a few debts.
      - hats - Hey, they were the muscle cars of the 1880s. He has to have a favourite and if he's doing okay, probs has more than one. Tell me your thoughts on types or hasn't that JD kicked in yet? ;-) I think he was partial to a mole bonnet.
      - "package" - are "we" (royal we, here) still sticking to that newspaper wrapped deal? C'mon, that's too lame even for me. One measley knife. Why a package? Was there more than one? And no, don't be tellin' me about Tabram's 38 + 1 wounds to suggest two knives. ;-) Two Georges. Two sons. This one Hutchinson. He saw Jack loaded up with a knife-sized package.
      - "George" - now who might that be? The other son. Davidson. Pal of Jack's. May have known it.
      - kids - How are we certain he was able to have sex? The two birth certificates are good clues. The other five are mooted. Oftentimes, men who lash out like this can only ejaculate with bloody violence. Not impossible, of course, but the lack of evidence doesn't help.
      - wives - any alive during that year? What happened to them? Two, possibly. One got a ten-stretch for murder. Served fifteen. The other pegged-out in 1927, not too much else known.
      - a leg over - No, can't be that pedestrian. You need normal sex, you hire a street woman. You don't slice, dice and julienne them like a hawker of Ginsu knives. Depends what sort of hat you're wearing, Booksby.
      Iconoclast
      Author of the brilliant Society's Pillar
      Link: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox
      Author of the even more brillianter Society's Pillar 2025 (available in all good browsers soon-ish)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post
        Hi, All.
        The name's Barbara Thompson and I'm new to the place. I thought I'd have a look-in, grab a pint at this lovely Casebook drinking establishment, and introduce myself.

        I'm like all of you, I would imagine, having had knowledge of the Whitechapel murders since I was a wee tyke. It might have been the first murders to which I was aware, and although I grew up and life continued, those grizzly slayings remained as a low frequency hum threading their way through my years.

        For no obvious apparent reason, the case recently jumped to the forefront of my mind and I've found myself here, in this vast warehouse of knowledge, not having a clue as to why.

        I am a literary novelist - 20th century historical -- and article writer by trade, but I have no aim to write a book on the case. Realistically, it would take me years to digest all this data before I ever felt I could contribute a decent work.

        So, why am I here?
        *takes another sip of her Guinness*

        Maybe because the world has been going to hell in a handbasket and the Ripper case is one of the few status-quo standards left salvaged from a past life that was once stable and free of fear and worry.

        Maybe to tread through yesteryear's dark and dank alleyways is an adventuresome quest -- the thrill of taking risks without the risk taking itself.

        My late father was a Constable in the RCMP -- Royal Canadian Mounted Police -- so I harken from a cop's world, and as such, I have little use for coincidence or conspiracy. Rumour and innuendo make me grin. And Tell-All books are rife with all the above, fact-finding achieved anywhere but there.

        To begin my Ripper quest, I've been binge-listening to the Rippercast, using Google Maps to virtually walk all the streets, measuring sight-lines and examining horizons, then as now.

        The stench, the noise, of Whitechapel 1888 has to come from my writer imagination, and is too easily done. I've learned the difference between cobbles and setts, where the main pubs sat and many of the escape routes Jack had on offer.

        The one thing I do know is that I'm not looking to adopt a pet suspect and miraculously solve this case. If you put a knife to my throat I'd say Jack is still a complete Unknown, not any of the suspects currently ID'd.

        Streets, locales, the geography of the Ripper, intrigues me more. His ability to know the ins and outs of his killing grounds.

        Questions like:
        Where did he work?
        Did he work?
        What hat did he wear?
        Did he have more than one?
        Did he have a favourite publican or did he do the rounds?
        Could he hold his liquor?
        Did he do drugs?
        Was syphilis what diseased his mind?
        How did he carry his knife on his person?
        Was there any person in his life who feared he may be the Ripper?
        Did he have a wife?
        A mother?
        A child?
        And ultimately what was the cause of his roiling rage at women that birthed his psychotic break and had him lash out?

        Maybe, at the core, we all are here for fairly baseline reasons, if we are being honest with ourselves...
        Men, to find and protect.
        Women, to know and to avoid.

        It's not 1888 Whitechapel which worms its way into our minds and takes us hostage. Maybe it's the dark and dank alleyways of the here and now, knowing full well the Ripper has never truly died, and can cast his shadow upon us all, wherever we live, whatever air we breathe, on this very night.

        *sliding a tray of newly poured pints over to your table as a thank you for allowing me into this rarefied space*

        Cheers, mates!
        Nice to be in your good company.

        When we leave the Casebook pub tonight, can we leave in a group?
        I don't want to walk home alone...
        ;-)
        hi Books!
        welcome to the nut house! great first post!
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

        -Edgar Allan Poe


        "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

        -Frederick G. Abberline

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

          Hats? I love 'em! I'm partial to a trilby meself. What's your tipple, headgear wise?

          So, just whilst we're chewing the cud here ...

          - Self-employed, huh? Was he quite well off? Minted. Though the missus had run up a few debts.
          - hats - Hey, they were the muscle cars of the 1880s. He has to have a favourite and if he's doing okay, probs has more than one. Tell me your thoughts on types or hasn't that JD kicked in yet? ;-) I think he was partial to a mole bonnet.
          - "package" - are "we" (royal we, here) still sticking to that newspaper wrapped deal? C'mon, that's too lame even for me. One measley knife. Why a package? Was there more than one? And no, don't be tellin' me about Tabram's 38 + 1 wounds to suggest two knives. ;-) Two Georges. Two sons. This one Hutchinson. He saw Jack loaded up with a knife-sized package.
          - "George" - now who might that be? The other son. Davidson. Pal of Jack's. May have known it.
          - kids - How are we certain he was able to have sex? The two birth certificates are good clues. The other five are mooted. Oftentimes, men who lash out like this can only ejaculate with bloody violence. Not impossible, of course, but the lack of evidence doesn't help.
          - wives - any alive during that year? What happened to them? Two, possibly. One got a ten-stretch for murder. Served fifteen. The other pegged-out in 1927, not too much else known.
          - a leg over - No, can't be that pedestrian. You need normal sex, you hire a street woman. You don't slice, dice and julienne them like a hawker of Ginsu knives. Depends what sort of hat you're wearing, Booksby.
          So, your a George Hutchinson adoptee for Jack.
          I know very little about the man.
          What are the main reasons you feel he fits the bill?
          "We do not remember days, we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

          Cheers!

          Books by BJ Thompson
          Author - www.booksbybjthompson.com
          Email - barbara@booksbybjthompson.com

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post

            So, your a George Hutchinson adoptee for Jack.
            I know very little about the man.
            What are the main reasons you feel he fits the bill?
            actualy hes a maybrickian. im the Hutchinsonian
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

            -Edgar Allan Poe


            "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

            -Frederick G. Abberline

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

              actualy hes a maybrickian. im the Hutchinsonian
              Ah...
              I want to be a Maybrickian, but I don't think the evidence will allow me.
              I'm going to do a line by line psych analysis on those diary pages though.
              Whoever wrote those words has to be guilty of something.
              "We do not remember days, we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

              Cheers!

              Books by BJ Thompson
              Author - www.booksbybjthompson.com
              Email - barbara@booksbybjthompson.com

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post
                Whoever wrote those words has to be guilty of something.
                Well, piss-poor English for starters ...
                Iconoclast
                Author of the brilliant Society's Pillar
                Link: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox
                Author of the even more brillianter Society's Pillar 2025 (available in all good browsers soon-ish)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post
                  I want to be a Maybrickian, but I don't think the evidence will allow me.
                  The evidence won't be the only thing. I'd renew your subscription to your Practical Kevlar catalogue, if I were you.

                  I'm going to do a line by line psych analysis on those diary pages though.
                  Could you get on with it, Booksby? I'm on a bit of a deadline here ...

                  Ike
                  I Have Nothing to Declare but my Plagiarism
                  Iconoclast
                  Author of the brilliant Society's Pillar
                  Link: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox
                  Author of the even more brillianter Society's Pillar 2025 (available in all good browsers soon-ish)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post

                    Ah...
                    I want to be a Maybrickian, but I don't think the evidence will allow me.
                    I'm going to do a line by line psych analysis on those diary pages though.
                    Whoever wrote those words has to be guilty of something.
                    hi //HI.
                    i like that guilty of something
                    some one here is lol

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

                      The evidence won't be the only thing. I'd renew your subscription to your Practical Kevlar catalogue, if I were you.



                      Could you get on with it, Booksby? I'm on a bit of a deadline here ...

                      Ike
                      I Have Nothing to Declare but my Plagiarism
                      Sorry Icon...
                      Like fine wine, youll have to wait.
                      Consider me a 1970 Buick Wildcat.
                      0 to 60 in two days...
                      Then when the 454 under the hood are unleashed, a rocket ship to the moon!
                      "We do not remember days, we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

                      Cheers!

                      Books by BJ Thompson
                      Author - www.booksbybjthompson.com
                      Email - barbara@booksbybjthompson.com

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post

                        hi //HI.
                        i like that guilty of something
                        some one here is lol

                        "We do not remember days, we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

                        Cheers!

                        Books by BJ Thompson
                        Author - www.booksbybjthompson.com
                        Email - barbara@booksbybjthompson.com

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

                          actualy hes a maybrickian. im the Hutchinsonian
                          Haha, Abby!

                          For some reason that sounds rather grand!

                          I can hear you being discussed over brandy and cigars in some gentleman's club.

                          "Are you familiar with Mr Abby Normal?"

                          "Indeed. I have heard it said that he is a Hutchinsonian of some repute".


                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post

                            Ah...
                            I want to be a Maybrickian, but I don't think the evidence will allow me.
                            I'm going to do a line by line psych analysis on those diary pages though.
                            Whoever wrote those words has to be guilty of something.
                            yeah-fraud lol
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

                            -Edgar Allan Poe


                            "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                            -Frederick G. Abberline

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

                              Haha, Abby!

                              For some reason that sounds rather grand!

                              I can hear you being discussed over brandy and cigars in some gentleman's club.

                              "Are you familiar with Mr Abby Normal?"

                              "Indeed. I have heard it said that he is a Hutchinsonian of some repute".

                              lol "ill repute" more like it!
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

                              -Edgar Allan Poe


                              "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                              -Frederick G. Abberline

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Hello, Booksby, welcome to the Casebook! Beware the folks with mysterious claims of secret knowledge, dodge the fact-slinging competitions, and be careful of men with long knives... You'll do fine here!
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X