Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitechapel gatherings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whitechapel gatherings

    Hi i see on the internet at some time they the few ?
    would gather at a pub in Whitechapel before the covid 19,
    do they still do this to meet up, and were and when would i find a soluble link.

  • #2
    i believe they use to have guest speakers and such,
    not meaning the "brahms & lisps"

    Comment


    • #3
      Here you go milchman

      https://www.whitechapelsociety.com/

      There used to be The Cloak & Dagger Club too but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve never been to Whitechapel Society meeting but I did attend a C&D club one many moons ago at The City Darts pub which I believe is now closed.
      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-30-2022, 09:25 PM.
      Regards

      Sir Herlock Sholmes

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        yes thx for that . i found this also on google a little while ago.
        i did find one were it was ripper talks mainly about once a month.
        i presume it,s this site but they might not be making evening announcements yet.

        Comment


        • #5
          It looks like the 6th August is the next event.
          Regards

          Sir Herlock Sholmes

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post
            . were and when would i find a soluble link. .
            Nice Freudian slip for someone just getting into the Maybrick diary!
            Thems the Vagaries.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post
              Hi i see on the internet at some time they the few ?
              would gather at a pub in Whitechapel before the covid 19,
              do they still do this to meet up, and were and when would i find a non-proven soluble link.
              For Al Bundys Eyes...
              Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
              JayHartley.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by erobitha View Post

                For Al Bundys Eyes...
                Nicely done Ero!
                Thems the Vagaries.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  Here you go milchman

                  https://www.whitechapelsociety.com/

                  There used to be The Cloak & Dagger Club too but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve never been to Whitechapel Society meeting but I did attend a C&D club one many moons ago at The City Darts pub which I believe is now closed.
                  Morning Herlock,

                  The Cloak & Dagger Club had its name changed to the Whitechapel Society while I was a regular attendee. Keith Skinner called it the Smoke & Stagger, which was quite apt in the early days.

                  A pint or three in the Pride of Spitalfields and a Brick Lane curry would kick things off nicely, then a few nightcaps in the White Hart after the meeting, and off to the 24 hour bagel shop in the morning for the best ever hangover cure, before bagging a market stall bargain in Cheshire Street or Petticoat Lane.

                  A great range of talks and guest speakers, great company, great times.

                  Love,

                  Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by caz View Post

                    Morning Herlock,

                    The Cloak & Dagger Club had its name changed to the Whitechapel Society while I was a regular attendee. Keith Skinner called it the Smoke & Stagger, which was quite apt in the early days.

                    A pint or three in the Pride of Spitalfields and a Brick Lane curry would kick things off nicely, then a few nightcaps in the White Hart after the meeting, and off to the 24 hour bagel shop in the morning for the best ever hangover cure, before bagging a market stall bargain in Cheshire Street or Petticoat Lane.

                    A great range of talks and guest speakers, great company, great times.

                    Love,

                    Caz
                    X
                    Hello Caz,

                    I probably should have known that but I wasn’t aware that it was the case. I wish I’d been able to attend more meetings but it was simply down to distance and events. I did visit the previous venue The Alma once with a friend who was one of the original members just to have a look at the place but I did manage to get down to one meeting at The City Darts.

                    I’ve always wondered how many people that I speak to on here might have attended the same meeting? I recall my friend pointing out a ‘name’ or two so people like Paul Begg or Martin Fido might have been there but I just can’t remember. The speaker was Bill Beadle and if I recall correctly he was talking about the Kelly TOD.
                    Regards

                    Sir Herlock Sholmes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Any idea of the year that would have been, Herlock?

                      My first meeting was in April 1999 and I only missed the odd one after that until 2011, when I moved to the West Country and stopped attending on such a regular basis.

                      I remember Bill Beadle giving some really good talks over those years, and we still exchange Christmas cards.

                      Love,

                      Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I believe that if you're a member you are now given the option of attending WS meetings via Zoom.

                        I signed up for membership in January and received a zoom invite via email.

                        I can't recall exactly how much it cost to join, but it wasn't expensive (25?).

                        I have every intention of joining in some time, but every time the meeting comes round I seem to be already doing something else.

                        Still, zoom isn't as much fun as drinking in the White Hart and going for a curry as described by caz above.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          bein were it is ,is parking a problem ?
                          i would thought public transport is obviously first choice ,especially if you have to liquidate !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by caz View Post
                            Any idea of the year that would have been, Herlock?

                            My first meeting was in April 1999 and I only missed the odd one after that until 2011, when I moved to the West Country and stopped attending on such a regular basis.

                            I remember Bill Beadle giving some really good talks over those years, and we still exchange Christmas cards.

                            Love,

                            Caz
                            X
                            I can’t recall the year Caz sorry but when I get back from my holiday I’ll have a look through my old hard copy Ripperologists because when I last trawled through them I saw something about that very meeting. I also seem to remember seeing one issue with a picture of you in it. What I’ve always found a little irritating is that I recall so little about the meeting. I went to London for the day with 2 friends who weren’t ripperologists and we met my friend Dave (who was a Ripperologist) downstairs in the bar. I seem to recall the meeting being in an upstairs room with the bar on the right as you looked to the speakers end but that’s about it. I only had a coupe or three pints too….honest.
                            Regards

                            Sir Herlock Sholmes

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X