Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London - January 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    There was one Ripper victims tour that seemed to be pushing the Rubenhold agenda, so I contacted them and pointed out some of the flaws in The Five. Last time I looked they seemed to have dropped the Ripper tour from their portfolio. I hope it wasn’t something I said.

    Wouldn’t it be fun if Ally could find something like that? ;-)

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

      Wouldn't it be fun if Ally could find something like that? ;-)
      Stop trying to get me in trouble. I get myself in enough trouble, I don't need helpful suggestions!

      Let all Oz be agreed;
      I'm Wicked through and through.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Ally View Post

        Stop trying to get me in trouble. I get myself in enough trouble, I don't need helpful suggestions!
        Apologies, it was a rather impish suggestion. You should steer clear of anything that might land you in Bishopsgate nick.

        Keep your distance from this lot in particular:


        https://rebeltours.co.uk






        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

          Keep your distance from this lot in particular:


          https://rebeltours.co.uk

          OMG, no kidding, I saw that somewhere else and when I saw that they feed their dog vegan I decided I was going to walk by their food tour and "accidentally" drop a 20 piece box of chicken nuggets.

          Let all Oz be agreed;
          I'm Wicked through and through.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Ally View Post

            OMG, no kidding, I saw that somewhere else and when I saw that they feed their dog vegan I decided I was going to walk by their food tour and "accidentally" drop a 20 piece box of chicken nuggets.
            They still seem to be advertising their Ripper walk on their website. I contacted them through FB and politely pointed a few of their errors. I also suggested they might want to include Alice McKenzie in their walk and provided them with a link to research into Alice’s background that was carried out by Ripperologists long before The Five hit the bookshelves. Not that I was trying to make a point or anything. ;-)

            I hope you enjoy your visit. If you want any advice on where to find the best pie and mash or jellied eels, don’t hesitate to ask.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
              That's me just back from a fantastic trip to London.

              My friend and I spent three days traipsing round the capital and I explored Whitechapel for the very first time.

              The Edgar's Guide was invaluable.

              It took a few minutes to work out which exit from Aldgate East underground station we were meant to be starting from (the one on the opposite side of the street to the Whitechapel Art Gallery as it turns out!), but once we'd established that, it was plain sailing.

              Having never visited before, but been aware of other posters lamenting how much the area had changed, I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by how much still remained and the numerous alleys and snicketways which still retained some atmosphere.

              Huge thanks to mpriestnall and George from the WS who met us after the walk for pints, burgers and fascinating ripper chat and theorising.

              The hospitality was much appreciated.

              Now, if I can remember how to do this, I'm going to post some pics (even though it's all been seen before!!).....
              Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics. My wife and I are flying back home in February for the first time in two years (thanks covid). First half will be in London see her family and catching up with old friends, so I will be definitely heading over to the east end at some point for a bit of a troll around. Though I have spend lots a lots of time there, I have never made it over to Goulston Street, really must do that!
              Best Regards,

              Tristan

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

                Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics. My wife and I are flying back home in February for the first time in two years (thanks covid). First half will be in London see her family and catching up with old friends, so I will be definitely heading over to the east end at some point for a bit of a troll around. Though I have spend lots a lots of time there, I have never made it over to Goulston Street, really must do that!
                You're welcome, Los!

                I had a great time tramping the streets and snapping the pictures.

                I hope you and your wife have a brilliant time in February when you finally get over.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  I hope it wasn’t something I said.
                  Why? That was the point wasn't it?
                  These are not clues, Fred.
                  It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                  They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                  And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                  We will not.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

                    Why? That was the point wasn't it?
                    It was not.

                    What an outrageous suggestion!!
                    Last edited by MrBarnett; 01-21-2022, 04:13 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                      It was not.
                      OKayy

                      (was going to spell it OK but a post needs 5 characters)
                      These are not clues, Fred.
                      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                      We will not.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

                        OKayy

                        (was going to spell it OK but a post needs 5 characters)
                        I tried to answer just ‘No!’ but that was too short. :-)

                        I was hoping they might amend their script and add Alice McKenzie to it. The suggestion that I was trying to stop them from conducting their tours sounds like some kind of Rubenholdian fantasy.

                        I fondly imagined something like this:

                        ‘And this is Mitre Square where poor Kate Eddowes was killed.’

                        ‘Is she the one that was a famous balladeer?’

                        ‘That has been claimed, but there is no evidence that she or her partner Tom Conway even sold ballads, let alone that she wrote and performed them - in the operatic style.’




                        ‘And this is where where Alice McKenzie was killed.’


                        ‘Who? She’s not in the book. I’m only interested in the approved list of victims of misogyny. For all I know this
                        Alice Whatshername might have actually been a prostitute!’

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                          I tried to answer just ‘No!’ but that was too short. :-)

                          I was hoping they might amend their script and add Alice McKenzie to it. The suggestion that I was trying to stop them from conducting their tours sounds like some kind of Rubenholdian fantasy.

                          I fondly imagined something like this:

                          ‘And this is Mitre Square where poor Kate Eddowes was killed.’

                          ‘Is she the one that was a famous balladeer?’

                          ‘That has been claimed, but there is no evidence that she or her partner Tom Conway even sold ballads, let alone that she wrote and performed them - in the operatic style.’




                          ‘And this is where where Alice McKenzie was killed.’


                          ‘Who? She’s not in the book. I’m only interested in the approved list of victims of misogyny. For all I know this
                          Alice Whatshername might have actually been a prostitute!’
                          Right, picking this apart, I see what you are saying.

                          In your post you say "There was one Ripper victims tour that seemed to be pushing the Rubenhold agenda".

                          From that I took it as the whole tour was based on the Rubenhold book. Did I misunderstand your post?

                          Maybe they have taken the tour down temporarily to rework it.
                          These are not clues, Fred.
                          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                          We will not.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X