• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
    Hi Roger,

Although I’m more than a little concerned when I hear the word ‘denier’ added to anything there’s no defence for the example that you’ve shown of course.

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Hi Herlock,

here's an example of right-wing madness in Texas.

Southlake school leader tells teachers to balance Holocaust books with 'opposing' views (nbcnews.com)

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Evil triumphs when good men and women do nothing?

That kind of sums it up for me, Herlock.

I absolutely believe that this stuff should be taught by example in primary school, or even earlier, but better late than never.

Do the warm and cuddly people at the Daily Mail not want it taught at all?

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Hi Herlock

You're in a safe space here if you want to vent - but to be honest, this particular story sounds like the Daily Mail scrabbling around for something to write on a slow news day.

The controversial story for me at the moment is the 'insulate britain' protests on the M25. I would normally be championing people's right to protest and I certainly support the cause they are protesting about - but I struggle with their tactics and suspect they will turn many away from supporting them as a result.
    Hi Eten,

My apologies for the late response. No one can object to any well thought out attempt to stamp out things like bullying, racism, sexism etc but this one just seemed like a bit of window dressing to me. I could be wrong of course but that’s just how it seemed to me. Lessons for the young should be embedded way before University of course but I can’t help thinking that if someone is inclined to bullying or sexism and is just about to enter University then they’re intelligent enough to answer the questions correctly but dishonestly. Is this really an effective tool against these important issues? I don’t have any solutions but education on these subjects needs to begin young.

I must admit that I was concerned about the ‘accepting personal guilt’ part. I’m certainly not up to date but what do they mean by that? Surely not just that we all do things wrong at times and that we should admit it? Or are they going down the ‘accepting blame for everything’ route? Accepting personal guilt….for what?

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ally View Post
    So... you think it's problematic for grown ass adults to be required to learn things that they should have learned in kindergarten? Which aspect of this do you have a problem with? People being taught that a) bullying is bad b) people are different or that c) consent is required to have sex. Just concerned as to which particular issue you feel is something people shouldn't be required to learn as a basic standard of admission to society? Are you a champion of abusers, racists or rapists?
    It's a powerful argument you make, Ally. Why does the Daily Mail encourage its readers to divert their anger onto the decent ones who are at least trying to do something about society's ills, when it should continue to be directed at the bigotry, bullying and abusive behaviour that makes this necessary in the first place?

It's upside down and inside out.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• etenguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    We know that criticising such things these days is becoming forbidden. So I’ll give up At least I won’t be around when the results of the current thinking comes fully to fruition.
    Hi Herlock

You're in a safe space here if you want to vent - but to be honest, this particular story sounds like the Daily Mail scrabbling around for something to write on a slow news day.

The controversial story for me at the moment is the 'insulate britain' protests on the M25. I would normally be championing people's right to protest and I certainly support the cause they are protesting about - but I struggle with their tactics and suspect they will turn many away from supporting them as a result.

Leave a comment:

• MrTwibbs
    replied
    Well this happens in the work place in the UK. If you work for a big company (private or public sector) your induction course usually includes modules on aspects like bullying, sexual harassment, equality and diversity. If students didn't do these sorts of modules now, they sure as hell would come across it in the work place working for a private or public sector company.
    I'm not overly surprised by the article and I doubt there's anything sinister about it. if it betters humankind and educates people then that is great.
    Last edited by MrTwibbs; 10-01-2021, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    We know that criticising such things these days is becoming forbidden. So I’ll give up At least I won’t be around when the results of the current thinking comes fully to fruition.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by etenguy View Post
    Hi Herlock

This all seems a bit of a nonsense non-story to me.
    Yeah, I'm with you Eten!

Agreed Herlock, teaching that there's a "correct" and an "incorrect" way of thinking of such matters does sound a bit like the thought police intervening again.

My personal preference would be for open questions, where the pupils can discuss and analyse the different perspectives.

TBH A climate change module is probably quite a good idea, since we appear to be at such a critical point environmentally and much rests on how the next generation handle things (since our generation and previous ones appear to have ballsed things up pretty comprehensively!!).

The article does state that these modules were requested and developed by students though, and in several years, only one person has complained, so I'm not really getting my knickers in a twist about it!

It's just the good old DM pushing its agenda and fanning the flames as usual.

Water off a ducks back!

Leave a comment:

• Ally
    replied
    So... you think it's problematic for grown ass adults to be required to learn things that they should have learned in kindergarten? Which aspect of this do you have a problem with? People being taught that a) bullying is bad b) people are different or that c) consent is required to have sex. Just concerned as to which particular issue you feel is something people shouldn't be required to learn as a basic standard of admission to society? Are you a champion of abusers, racists or rapists?

Leave a comment:

• etenguy
    replied
    Hi Herlock

This all seems a bit of a nonsense non-story to me.

Leave a comment:

• Dupin
    replied
    Really Herlock, Big Sibling you mean!

It is increasingly apparent that Universities are not about education, but are in fact boot camps for the uncritically minded.

It reminds me of the 63 song by Pete Seegar
    Little boxes on the hillside
    Little boxes made of ticky tacky
    Little boxes
    Little boxes
    Little boxes all the same
    And the people in the houses all went to the university
    And they all get put in boxes, little boxes all the same
    And there's doctors and there's lawyers
    And business executives
    And they all get put in boxes, and they all come out the same
    There's a green one, and a pink one
    And a blue one and a yellow one
    And they're all made out of ticky tacky
    And they all look just the same

dupin

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    started a topic Big Brother Strikes Again?

Big Brother Strikes Again?

Working...
X