Best Ripper walking tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ripper walking tour?

I am spending a weekend on my own in mid-Sept in Whitechapel. Despite the ominous nature of that statement, I don't plan on committing any murders.

Which walking tour should I take on my visit and why?
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Why do a walking tour when you could re-trace Charles Lechmere's walk to work with a stopwatch in hand to determine the shortest route?

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
      I am spending a weekend on my own in mid-Sept in Whitechapel. Despite the ominous nature of that statement, I don't plan on committing any murders.

Which walking tour should I take on my visit and why?
      Ive done about 4 walks I think and one of the negatives is that they only visit one murder site (Mitre Square) Three we’re by London Walks, by far the best of which was when Don Rumbelow was the guide but I believe that he no longer does them. I’m pretty sure that his wife does one though. The other two guides were ok but you tend to walk around listing the errors that they’re making unlike with a guide like Rumbelow. The last one that I did was a good one with the guide being John Bennett who also knows his stuff.

The walks usually last around 2 hours Erobitha but if you had around 4 hours to spare you might try a book that I recently bought called “Jack The Ripper’s East End by Richard Jones and Adam Wood ( one of Edgar’s Walking Guides)” I haven’t tried it yet but it gives you simple directions and takes in all of the murder sites (as far as they can) and many other related locations. I’m looking forward to giving it a go next time I’m in London.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Yeah, I was about to mention that Edgar's Guide but Herlock beat me to it.

I had a read through of it earlier this week and it looks really well laid out and easy to follow.

It takes in four of the murder sites, plus other places of interest like the morgue, the police station and the venues of some of the inquests.

Plus some pubs which is always good.

It was published in 2020 so it's pretty up to date.

My friend and I are planning on giving it a shot when in London later this year too.

Comment

Sorry to digress somewhat. Is anyone familiar with this guide book, which is available as an ebook and is it any good?

Jack the Ripper's London (Walks Through London Book 2) by Leonard James
          Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

I’ve seen that one before Enigma but I don’t think that I have it.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
              Yeah, I was about to mention that Edgar's Guide but Herlock beat me to it.

I had a read through of it earlier this week and it looks really well laid out and easy to follow.

It takes in four of the murder sites, plus other places of interest like the morgue, the police station and the venues of some of the inquests.

Plus some pubs which is always good.

It was published in 2020 so it's pretty up to date.

My friend and I are planning on giving it a shot when in London later this year too.
              I would tend to follow Ms. Diddles and Herlocks advice. As you know your stuff, grab yourself a guide book and visit the different places at leisure. I find being in a large group, you somehow lose something and feel all a bit conspicuous. Best tours I have had have been me and a mate armed with google maps and casebook (for additional info) on our phones and a decent guide book. But then, that's just me!
              Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                I’ve seen that one before Enigma but I don’t think that I have it.
                Thanks Herlock for your reply. I was wondering if it was a good reference book to download to my Kindle for the long postponed visit to England.
                Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Got myself an Edgar's Guide. Will give that a whirl.
                  JayHartley.com

Comment

Please let us know how you get on Ero, as I am going to try the guide out for myself later this year.

Enjoy your trip when the time comes....!

Comment

Hi Ero,

I'm inclined to agree with the previous advice - get a written guide and do it yourself!

I did a walking tour two years ago with one of the recommended groups, and had a very much mixed opinion of the evening. It was possible to get an idea of what the area must have been like in 1888, and for the distances involved between the various killings etc, but much had changed, so your imagination has to be very active. I thought that the detailed info provided about lodging house existence, sleeping arrangements etc and photographic evidence produced was quite helpful.

My guide was very knowledgeable, but had clear-cut ideas about the possibilities and probabilities, and regarded her opinions as facts. So we were told, for example, that Tabram was categorically a JtR victim, as was Stride who was clearly interrupted and had to kill again that night. She may have been right, of course, but maybe it's just the way I am, and I would have been much happier to have absorbed the atmosphere of each place, with the relevant known facts, intead of her conclusions of certainty.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck with your tour.

Comment

If you post on this forum, you probably know more about the Ripper killings than many of the tour guides. Or at least you have the resources at your disposal to know more.

Comment

Hi Ero!

I was just wondering whether you have had the opportunity to try out the Edgar's Guide walk?

I've booked my trip to London and am planning to give it a go, so I'd be interested to know how you got on.

Hope you had a lovely time!

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                            If you post on this forum, you probably know more about the Ripper killings than many of the tour guides. Or at least you have the resources at your disposal to know more.
                            This is true. I’ve done around 6 over the years (mostly because friends have wanted to) and you can’t help finding yourself making a mental note of the errors. It goes without saying of course that this wasn’t the case with Don Rumbelow and John Bennett. I don’t think that Don does tours anymore though? I recall chatting to him along the route an he was bemoaning the fact that he was going to have to go out and buy the ‘bloody’ Bruce Robinson book.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi Ero!

I was just wondering whether you have had the opportunity to try out the Edgar's Guide walk?

I've booked my trip to London and am planning to give it a go, so I'd be interested to know how you got on.

Hope you had a lovely time!
                              Annoyingly my trip was cancelled last minute due to a friend I planned on spending time with cancelled. I received the guide in plenty of time as well. Will have to try again in the New year!
                              JayHartley.com

Comment

Working...
                              X