Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Recommend Some Good Non-Fiction Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Right now I am in the process of checking out places to stay, restaurants and things to do. Keeping a list. Of course, have to wait till Covid is under control and I feel comfortable flying.

c.d.
    Even if it doesn't happen imminently, isn't it great to be able to make some kind of tentative plans for the future again after a year on hold?!

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Oh! Please post pictures if you do get to go, and have a spare minute!

I'm fascinated by the place!
    Right now I am in the process of checking out places to stay, restaurants and things to do. Keeping a list. Of course, have to wait till Covid is under control and I feel comfortable flying.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Yes, I have read it and I agree it was quite good. Have been looking into a trip to Savannah myself.

c.d.
    Oh! Please post pictures if you do get to go, and have a spare minute!

I'm fascinated by the place!

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
    I'll third the Suspicions of Mr Whicher.

If you've not already read it, I'd recommend Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil too.

I love that book and it really makes me want to visit Savannah, Georgia!
    Yes, I have read it and I agree it was quite good. Have been looking into a trip to Savannah myself.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I will check out the suggestions. Always a tough decision.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    I'll third the Suspicions of Mr Whicher.

If you've not already read it, I'd recommend Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil too.

I love that book and it really makes me want to visit Savannah, Georgia!

Leave a comment:

• Kattrup
    replied
    I second the Suspicions of Mr Whicher, a splendid read.

The Lost, by Daniel Mendelsohn, is incredible. About the author researching what happened to his Jewish relatives in their polish town during wwii and trying to track down anybody who might remember them.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    I have a couple of books:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Su..._of_Mr_Whicher
    and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Murders the book by Edward Keyes.

One I'm reading now is, The Gunpowder Plot:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gu..._Faith_in_1605

Possibly not everyone's cup of tea, but I found this quite fascinating, the author is a metalurgist, so he knows what he is talking about with regards the copper scroll.
    Introduces a radical new perspective on the historical foundations of monotheism, based on the enigma of the Copper Scroll of the Essenes. • Confirms the link between ancient Judaism and the pharoah Akhenaten. • Decodes the system of measurements encrypted on the Copper Scroll that has confounded scholars for over 50 years, leading to the identification of fabulous lost treasures.• Points to a radical new understanding of the origins of monotheism. The famous Dead Sea Scrolls comprise the oldest collection of Biblical documents ever discovered. Of the Dead Sea Scrolls, none has baffled experts more than the 2,000-year-old Copper Scroll, discovered in 1952 by a team of Bedouin led by Henri de Contenson of the Ecole Biblique in East Jerusalem. Appearing to be a list of buried treasure engraved on copper pieces, the Copper Scroll is considered to be the work of a secretive Jewish sect of devout Essenes, who lived by the Dead Sea around the time of Jesus. No one has been able to explain its meaning or discover any of the 64 locations where the Biblical treasures it lists were buried. Robert Feather, combining his background as a metallurgist with his journalistic expertise, has unraveled the enigma of the Copper Scroll in a fascinating study that takes the reader on a journey from ancient Mesopotamia, through Canaan, into Egypt, and back to the shores of the Dead Sea. His exploration links the scroll to the ancient Egyptian king Akhenaten, confirming a long suspected influence of this pharaoh's religious beliefs on those of the Hebrews. The author's findings not only reveal the locations of most of the treasures listed on the Copper Scroll, but they also point to a radical new understanding of the origins of monotheism--the basis of the three great religions of Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.
    Last edited by Wickerman; 05-05-2021, 01:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• harry
    replied
    I would suggest,'The last colonials', by Peta Gay Jensen.

Leave a comment:

• Astatine211
    replied
    I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara is a book I highly recommend. After reading it I would suggest watching the six part HBO documentary of the same name. It's about EARONS however every aspect is all very sad and tragic.

Zodiac and Zodiac Unmasked by Robert Graysmith are entertaining reads but how much is fact and how much is fiction is debatable.

Something completely different from true crime is The Secret of the Spear by Alec McLellan which might sound quite wacky but I found it interesting and after reading it, it resulted in me going on a short trip to Vienna.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    started a topic Can Anyone Recommend Some Good Non-Fiction Books?

Can Anyone Recommend Some Good Non-Fiction Books?

Hopefully not too esoteric. I have a broad range of interests but really don't want to read the History of Slugs or Bed Frames of the 18th Century. So what do you recommend?

c.d.
    Last edited by c.d.; 05-04-2021, 09:08 PM.
Working...
X