• Show
Clear All

• kensei
    replied
    Latest death toll- 72.

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    Sleek, I think the waves only reached 9ft. Some locals surfed them even.
    I haven't seen any pics yet, only of a 6ft closeout shorebreak on Lakeshore Drive.

Leave a comment:

• sleekviper
    replied
    The outer edges of the storm are hitting Chicago by way of the great lakes. The lakes are so massive that wind from the east coast has moved across the lakes with nothing to slow or stop the impact, so 60 mph winds have basically closed the great lakes. No one figured on 20 foot waves hitting Chicago this far inland from an east coast storm, but they have.

Leave a comment:

• kensei
    replied
    Death toll is now approaching 40, and is bound to go up as the waters recede. Explosions and fires all over New York, 15 feet of water in the subway tunnels, apartment buildings collapsed, houses washed out into streets, a Jersey Shore roller coaster washed out to sea. It's a full scale disaster movie come to life.

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Marmaroneck

My eldest son and his wife lives in Marmaroneck, about 20 mins by subway, North /North East of the centre of NYC, out by the coast.
    He and his wife travelled North to friends for safety. Sandbags around his home etc before he left.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    it said on the BBC that the New york stock exchange is opening tomorrow...the first time it has been shut for 2 days since 1888 !! could that have been when everyone was out tracking Tumblety on his return ..........

Leave a comment:

• Beowulf
    replied
    New York City crane collapse causes evacuations

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...es-evacuations

Atlantic City Boardwalk gone:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ity-boardwalk/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Beowulf; 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• Limehouse
    replied
    I'm thinking of you all and praying for your safety.

Love Julie

Leave a comment:

• Errata
    replied
    It's bad. The waters did not recede with the tide as they had hoped. There are still waters up to 13 ft. high. Manhattan and Brooklyn are radio silent, and have been since about 10 last night. I have a lot of friends who disappeared last night and no one has heard from since. I'm sure they are fine, but the continuing silence is wearing to say the least.

Fortunately I know one of my friends at least is serving cocktails off her balcony to passing boaters. Except for rescue personnel. They get coffee heated on her grill. She said she was going to, and I've seen pictures of her signature decorated solo cups. So one down. 14 to go.

Leave a comment:

• kensei
    replied
    Last I heard, death toll is at 17. A miniscule fraction of Katrina's toll, but of course every death is a tragedy. I am 1500 miles from the storm but I wish everyone in its path luck, grace, and blessings.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    One killed in T.O. I see

Windy as buggery here, but rain has stopped and everything seems to be holding out, barring a few downed limbs and some power flickers.

Looks like the Lake shields us again, thank goodness. I hope everyone else is safe and well.

Leave a comment:

• rbaynton
    replied
    Stay safe to all my JTR friends on the other side of the pond (including - perhaps especially- those with whom I have 'crossed swords'!). This sort of thing puts all our abstruse Jack based squabbles into context!!

Leave a comment:

• Limehouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
    Is this storm doing anything to England over there? It's just across the water from NY.
    No, not yet. It rained a bit here in the Fens last night - and it's colder than usual for October but otherwise it's calm.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Are people able to take their pets to evacuation shelters? I was worried about that last night.

Leave a comment:

• Beowulf
    replied
    Is this storm doing anything to England over there? It's just across the water from NY.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Pretty sad that HMS Bounty has sunk, I hear they're still looking for one lost seaman?

Jon S.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X