X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

PS. As more and more people gravitate to big cities and coastal areas, it will become even more extreme. If the U.S. survives another 100 years with the same system, which is doubtful, you'd see a situation were empty rural areas will wield enormous influence over the Senate and over national elections. Indeed, that's what we are already seeing.
    Thankyou RJ, and yes the Senate is another issue.
    When one party controls any house, nothing can get done by a President of the opposing party. This should never be allowed.
    The whole system seems to work against the concept of Democracy.
    I've never looked closely at it before, I don't fully understand how it ended up the way it is.
    Why any President should be allowed to appoint his own people into key positions, like Trump has, to control the CDC, the FDA, the Justice System, etc. it's borderline criminal. It's so open to abuse.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Thankyou Gentlemen.
    I just have not seen an American ballot ticket.
    I thought the names of the presidential candidates were on the ticket, but I'm led to believe you vote for a local representative, and it is who they vote for that elects a President, or is it?
    When does the Electoral College vote, is it on Nov. 3rd with everyone else?
    Hello Wick,

The names of the presidential candidates are on the ballot. Not the names of the Electoral College. If a presidential candidate wins the popular vote in a state then the state's representative in the Electoral College is REQUIRED to cast the number of electoral votes that that state has for that candidate. The electoral college votes after the election but it is a mere formality since they cannot change the results of the vote. The Federal Election Commission certifies the vote before congress in January.

Hope that helps.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    "Would you want LA and NYC city deciding who the president is every year?"

No.

But I sure wouldn't mind them deciding every four years.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Thankyou Gentlemen.
    I just have not seen an American ballot ticket.
    I thought the names of the presidential candidates were on the ticket, but I'm led to believe you vote for a local representative, and it is who they vote for that elects a President, or is it?
    When does the Electoral College vote, is it on Nov. 3rd with everyone else?

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    While you're here, can you explain this Electoral College and their impact on the vote?
    The simple explanation I've been told is that it doesn't matter how many public votes are cast (called the Popular vote), it is still the Electoral College that votes for a President.
    Is this what they call Democracy?
    would you want LA and NYC city deciding who the president is every year? lol

another example of the genius of our founding fathers.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    While you're here, can you explain this Electoral College and their impact on the vote?
    The simple explanation I've been told is that it doesn't matter how many public votes are cast (called the Popular vote), it is still the Electoral College that votes for a President.
    In fact, more people voted for Hillary Clinton than they did for Trump but Trump was elected President as a result of winning the Electoral College vote. Go figure.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Hi Jon,

The electoral college is a strange system, and is only in play in the Presidential election. I don't think it was originally designed for skullduggery; the idea was that the rural areas of the country wouldn't be at the mercy of the big cities, with all their voters. It was meant to balance things out.

225 years or so later, and helped along with gerrymandering, population migration, etc., the pendulum has swung in the other direction, and now the national elections are basically decided by only 4 or 5 'swing states.'

Meanwhile, California with its millions of residents gets precisely two U.S. Senators, as does Wyoming, with its four ranchers, millions of acres of prairie, and several million head of cattle.

Personally, if I had my way, I'd sub-let the country to Finland or Sweden or someplace similar, and let them run it rationally. The system is broken, with no end in sight.

RP

PS. As more and more people gravitate to big cities and coastal areas, it will become even more extreme. If the U.S. survives another 100 years with the same system, which is doubtful, you'd see a situation were empty rural areas will wield enormous influence over the Senate and over national elections. Indeed, that's what we are already seeing.
    Last edited by rjpalmer; 08-27-2020, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    And I should mention that it's just not the black vote.

There was a city in Texas that put the designated voting place for the college district thirty miles out of town. Evidently hoping those rotten readers of books wouldn't vote.

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post

Hi Jon,

I'm a Brit and didn't realise this, but I'm not the least bit surprised.
    From my experience, it's not really a matter of black folks living in rural areas being unable to vote, except by mail, though that might be an element.

It's precincts in very large U.S. cities, with a large black population, that have only a smattering of polling places. On election day you can see people lined up around the block like it was the opening night of Star Wars 2, which, of course, means that many give up and go home, or don't even bother to register.

Meanwhile, in my white suburban neighborhood, every third church is a polling place, and there's no line whatsoever.

It's called voter suppression, and its rampant in America. What is even more rampant is people not voting no matter what the difficulty might be.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I think that Trump is totally honest, a towering genius and the greatest statesman of our generation.

Oh and my sincerest congratulations to Pierre for solving the ripper case for us at last

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    because those coloured voters generally vote Democrat.
    Turkeys voting for Christmas?

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post

Left to me, I'd only let the younger generation have a vote. I'd gladly sacrifice mine for their sake. They have more sense in their little fingers.

Love,

Caz
    X
    That sounds completely preposterous. And - sadly - very true.

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Brits might not realize that in the southern states vast numbers of coloured voters live in the country and are not able to get to voting stations in the city. This is why Trump is trying to condemn mail-in votes, because those coloured voters generally vote Democrat.
    Being the two-faced pumpkin that he is, Trump is listed to vote in Florida his home, so he does it by mail - go figure.

I would just love to see him lose this election, but I fear he is capable of pulling any stunt, legal or illegal, to make sure he wins.
    Hi Jon,

I'm a Brit and didn't realise this, but I'm not the least bit surprised.

What Trump is extremely accomplished at is to make Boris 'U-turn' Johnson and Dominic 'puppet master' Cummings look ever so slightly less ghastly by comparison.

It's a funny old world, isn't it? And I do mean 'old'.

Left to me, I'd only let the younger generation have a vote. I'd gladly sacrifice mine for their sake. They have more sense in their little fingers.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Last edited by caz; 08-27-2020, 08:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Svensson View Post
    Oregon has held postal elections since 2000 and has only reported 14 fraudulent votes attempted by mail.
    I can confirm what you are saying. I lived in Oregon for years and there's little or no voter fraud by mail; it's a bunch of b.s. peddled by Trump so he can attempt to negate the coming results and remain in power. That, and suppress the black vote.

These 14 cases in Oregon were mainly elderly people who maintained two addresses (one in another state) and voted in both states. It was down to stupidity, rather than corruption...and the mistakes were caught. There was no pattern, and the voters' party affiliations were across the board.

By contrast, there was a case of serious election fraud in Oregon back in 2013, but it was where the votes were being counted, and not a matter that had anything to do with the U.S. Post Office, which Trump's people are now trying to cripple.

A Republican election worker (yes, that's Trump's party) was caught filling in ballots that hadn't been entirely completed by the voters, turning them into votes for the Republican candidates. Another worker saw her doing it and turned her in.

She went to jail for 90 days. I don't think that Trump has yet reached the point that he would pardon the woman and invite her to speak at the RNC, but he's moving in that direction.

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/1...-fraud-charges
    Last edited by rjpalmer; 08-26-2020, 11:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X