Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News Flash!! . . . VINCENT VAN GOGH WAS JACK THE RIPPER!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent alias Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
    Simon, thank you and feel free; I recommend you use it as often as possible. That said, I'm not happy with it. I've spent the evening wondering whether the 'disappointment' is both superfluous and confusing; as it currently stands, 'pride and disappointment' could be read as being a pair of things that have been punctured: punctured pride and disappointment. Punctured disappointment sounds either like a reprieve of sorts or a hideously compounded sorrow.

Is an Oxford Comma the answer? It seems pedantic. I'll let you be the judge sir.

Kind regards,

Henry
    I agree it sounds like galexander’s disappointment has been punctured, which might be something deserved, but which doesn’t quite satisfy.

I say continue with the puncturing of galexander’s pride, but as for his disappointment, I would suggest it deserves to be deeper. So . . .

"Galexander naively hoped he was actually onto something, and now displays the bitterness of punctured pride and deep disappointment."

Thanks,
    Dale Larner

Leave a comment:

• Vincent alias Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    I'll give you your due Mr Larner...you talk a load of small spherical objects, but on the whole you do so very politely and with good humour!

Darnit Mr. Larner, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore!

Dave
    I must say I have felt as if I’ve been dealing with higher-classed clientele lately.

Thanks,
    Dale Larner

Leave a comment:

• Henry Flower
    replied
    Simon, thank you and feel free; I recommend you use it as often as possible. That said, I'm not happy with it. I've spent the evening wondering whether the 'disappointment' is both superfluous and confusing; as it currently stands, 'pride and disappointment' could be read as being a pair of things that have been punctured: punctured pride and disappointment. Punctured disappointment sounds either like a reprieve of sorts or a hideously compounded sorrow.

Is an Oxford Comma the answer? It seems pedantic. I'll let you be the judge sir.

Kind regards,

Henry

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Henry,

I do like "the bitterness of punctured pride and disappointment."

Is it your own?

I ask just in case I decide to unashamedly recycle it.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• Henry Flower
    replied
    Dave,

I have to say I agree with you. I don't care much for Dale's theory, but I can't fault his good manners.

Regards, Colin.
    Very true - Dale's manners beat the living crap out of mine, and I admire that. Galexander could certainly learn a thing or two from Dale about how to respond with humour and good grace to my constant personal attacks. (I imagine that the difference can be accounted for by the fact that Dale has the serenity of one who knows his theory is insane, whereas galexander naively hoped he was actually onto something, and now displays the bitterness of punctured pride and disappointment )

Cheers Dale, good for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X