Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Went
    replied
    The point shouldn't be lost that this is excellent for Chile as well. Their country isn't generally regarded as being one of the nicest and they have been ravaged by natural disasters, but the whole world has really united behind them in this and it can only be a good thing for the country - something excellent has come out of something that could have been much more disasterous. Good on them, I say, and yes, very brave miners indeed.

Unfortunately mining accidents are all too common though. It wasn't long ago at all that we had two miners trapped for quite a while down here as well, Todd Russell and Brant Webb....they got rescued and were actually on TV commenting on the Chile miners the other day....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Severn
    replied
    All 33 Miners Rescued!

Wonderful News for once! ----and a big cheer for all those involved in the rescue too!

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Precisely, Nats.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Severn
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    That's what they were saying on the news - the comradeship they forged might be lost in the scramble of celebrity.
    Perhaps Robert,and the media ought to know a lot about that!
    But for me these were ordinary, poor, hardworking people doing dangerous work underground- what they endured was nightmarish and they dealt with it with a comradeship and heroism that was tremendous.
    Cheers,
    Norma

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    That's what they were saying on the news - the comradeship they forged might be lost in the scramble of celebrity.

I wonder if any of them were already keeping a log :

"Day Four. I kept the men's spirits up with a singsong and a game of I Spy. They're all suicidal and would undoubtedly go under without my steadying hand."

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Because the miners' employer, the San Esteban Mining Company, is now bankrupt, it is doubtful if the miners will be paid for the time they spent underground. The rescue itself was carried out by a company owned by the Government of Chile. However, no doubt all the miners will very quickly become celebs, so why should they care? Meanwhile the largest employer in the region has effectively ceased to trade!

It's an ill wind, etc., etc.

Graham

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    I didn't watch all the heart-warming pics (a bit slushy for me) but I was very pleased that the whole thing worked and that these people were rescued. And no sign of Jeff Tracey either!

When I saw one of the miners come up in his little capsule, I did wonder what would have happened if the door of the cage got stuck.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Severn
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Yes-good stuff. gives one hope.
    Perhaps Lennon was right when he wrote ---"All You Need is Love!

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
    It was very moving to see each of these brave men reaching the surface,happy and smiling after their long ordeal trapped since early August half a mile below the surface of the earth.The whole rescue operation is a sensational testament to how kind and good human beings can be to each other at their best---brave, loyal, strong, caring with a real sense of comradeship ,as well as the resourcefulness that enabled them to be winched to the surface in that tiny capsule.
    I was really made up over it----Fantastic!
    Norma
    Yes-good stuff. gives one hope.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Severn
    started a topic Heroism of the Chilean Miners!

Heroism of the Chilean Miners!

It was very moving to see each of these brave men reaching the surface,happy and smiling after their long ordeal trapped since early August half a mile below the surface of the earth.The whole rescue operation is a sensational testament to how kind and good human beings can be to each other at their best---brave, loyal, strong, caring with a real sense of comradeship ,as well as the resourcefulness that enabled them to be winched to the surface in that tiny capsule.
    I was really made up over it----Fantastic!
    Norma
Working...
X