Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
    Isnt it about time we looked for what unites us as human beings
    Oh, I think we've found out what that is a loooong time ago: hatred of The Other. We're not changing; our gadgets are just getting fancier.

I am STILL scratching my head over the woman ahead of me in the Passport line wearing a burka. How the hell would the immigration man know that was her passport ? Or even that she was in fact a woman ?
    Managing Editor
    Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post

I am STILL scratching my head over the woman ahead of me in the Passport line wearing a burka. How the hell would the immigration man know that was her passport ? Or even that she was in fact a woman ?
      Which reminds me- John Simpson of the BBC managed to get past the Taliban by wearing a Burka and I did wonder what else he had concealed inside his outfit because all you could see was a rather outsized Burka moving along.

Comment

Originally posted by claire View Post
        How tiresome, Caz. You took offence at my choice of words, said that 'words were all very well,' with the implication that it was action that counted, although it certainly wouldn't be coming from you. Then you quoted my statement about having bought an abaya that ended up being used for a hallowe'en party (by my daughter, but that's by the by), and went into an example of a BNP member who had done the same.
        Now, if it surprises you that a person might feel offended by that, on the grounds that you are giving the ra-ra-ra for 'the' victims, then perhaps you could ponder a little more on human nature. It's nothing to do with feeling victimised; that would imply that you had some sort of power over me, which is rather funny.
        And, as you pointed out in CAPITALS, this is a pub chat, so if Norma wishes to remind you of your similar carry on elsewhere on the boards, isn't that fine, by your rules?
        Tiresome.
        I'm afraid I don't take offence that easily, Claire, but clearly you do and you were assuming I'd be a bit more like you in that respect.

All I meant was that it was all well and good to call for 'someone' to step in and stamp on the excesses of these fundamentalists, but who are you going to nominate to stand up to them? I don't want to because I'm a shameful coward, but I also don't want to get caught in the resulting ding-dong. I'd rather not hear one day that my daughter was never coming back from her tube journey to work. Maybe you see that as flippant, irrelevant or tiresome. Tough.

I don't see what possible offence I could cause you by mentioning a true story about a BNP member who thought it a jolly wheeze to wear a burka to a fancy dress party. If you can't see how your own jolly anecdote might have brought that to mind, and there's no connection anyway, then what is there to get offended about? The cap - or burka - doesn't fit, does it?

I think Nats came in to tell you about my 'carry on' elsewhere, I didn't need reminding what she thinks of me for daring to keep asking her questions until she decides to give some answers.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Nats

Let's all get together as human beings - and hammer the Martians.

Comment

Right on Robert!

Comment

Whats wrong with Martians?- They make damn nice chocalate!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Hi Ruby and Claire

I've seen them covered from head to toe, and at the bottom....they're wearing trainers. Kind of destroys the effect.

I certainly wouldn't ban the wearing of it in ordinary places like the street. It's up to them what they wear. I'm only surprised that there aren't a variety of colours and styles.
                Hi Robert, hi all,

Allow me to present Ayatollah Yves Saint Laurent's Autumn/Fall Collection. Available now in 12 exciting shades of black, including... Schwartz, Noir, Midnight Blue, Exceptionally Dark Grey, Nutty Slack and not forgetting this seasons hot fashion essential, Hole of Calcutta!!!

Best Wishes,

Zodiac.

P.S. If only I'd thought of wearing a Burka at Lake Berryessa, instead of that stupid home made sack hood!!! Not only would I have looked even more weird/disturbing, I could have sent Graysmith off on an altogether different tangent and made him look even sillier than he already does!!!
                And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                  I completely respect your standpoint Bob and I agree with almost all of it. I heard the Moral Maze too and that chap was a complete pain because he refused to listen to alternative points of
                  view.
                  A triumph for reasoned debate then! Thank you for your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiac View Post
                    Allow me to present Ayatollah Yves Saint Laurent's Autumn/Fall Collection. Available now in 12 exciting shades of black, including... Schwartz, Noir, Midnight Blue, Exceptionally Dark Grey, Nutty Slack and not forgetting this seasons hot fashion essential, Hole of Calcutta!!!
                    Managing Editor
                    Casebook Wiki

Comment

Taliban Singles!

Thanks for the link Sir Robert!!! LMAO

By the way, No.2 is a real stunner and wasn't No.4 the third Ringwraith from the left in the LOTR films?!

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                      And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                      With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                      And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiac View Post
                        Hi Robert, hi all,

May I suggest Black Pudding Black

Comment

Oh, I think we've found out what that is a loooong time ago: hatred of The Other. We're not changing; our gadgets are just getting fancier.

It is a potentially dangerous "other" to be.
                          Last edited by protohistorian; 07-24-2010, 08:00 AM.
                          We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                            I wasn't going to, Rubyretro.

And I too am an atheist, by the way.

If I ever find out that God exists, I will be getting one over on him for his terrible sense of humour.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            GOD -" HIM"? "HIS" ?

You`ll have us in a Burka soon !!!!!!!
                            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Of course god's a man - can you see a woman resting on the seventh day? Having made the universe, she'd have spent the 7th day shifting everything around.

Besides, if god was a woman we'd be orbiting closer to the sun - so as to get a better tan.

God had to make Adam from the dust of the ground before making Eve. If he'd made Eve first, the dust would have been vacuumed up and so no Adam.

Comment

An interesting news item on the subject of the burka:
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10750908
                                Does any individual have the right not to speak with someone in a burka? And are the rules different for an MP,is he obliged to meet ALL his constituents?
                                While I understand the right of every constituent to make representaions to their MP surely for a public figure there are security issues to be borne in mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X