Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpie
    replied
    If I pray the wall doesn't get built, and it doesn't, do I get a brick?

And if it does, can I take a brick from it?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Thank you, Herlock. Do people eat them because they taste good or for their digestive benefits or both?

c.d.
    Purely for taste c.d.

Many prefer the chocolate variety. Until I checked Wiki I didn’t know of the original claim of aiding digestion.

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Makes good ear plugs though, Robert.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Cheese can be a bit dodgy before turning in.

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    They taste good, especially if, like me, you haven't got a sweet tooth; they're not savoury, but they aren't particularly sweet either. This, coupled with the fact that they have a firm texture, makes them ideal for dipping in your tea or as topped with cheese. A very versatile biscuit.

I think the "digestive" bit was a bit of a marketing gimmick, to be honest. Wikipedia says that it was once believed that the sodium bicarbonate in the biscuits acted as an antacid, but I'm inclined to take that with a pinch of salt... so to speak
    Hi Gareth,

As kids, my brothers and I used to be given plain digestives with cheddar cheese, and Ovaltine to drink, shortly before bedtime. Mum and Dad had the same - and my Dad always suffered from indigestion, so I don't think the digestives could have helped him much! Pass me that pinch of salt.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• Karl
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    I find the biscuits remarkably fluffy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXZ_uEVr9c
    So many kids are going to be disappointed the first (and only) time they get their mum to buy a packet of those biscuits.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    I find the biscuits remarkably fluffy.

Our boys love cats. Whomrembers the McVitie's chocolate digestive advert featuring some very cute cats?

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Thank you, Herlock. Do people eat them because they taste good or for their digestive benefits or both?
    They taste good, especially if, like me, you haven't got a sweet tooth; they're not savoury, but they aren't particularly sweet either. This, coupled with the fact that they have a firm texture, makes them ideal for dipping in your tea or as topped with cheese. A very versatile biscuit.

I think the "digestive" bit was a bit of a marketing gimmick, to be honest. Wikipedia says that it was once believed that the sodium bicarbonate in the biscuits acted as an antacid, but I'm inclined to take that with a pinch of salt... so to speak

Leave a comment:

• Karl
    replied
    Superstition is a funny thing. My brother is not a religious man, but he is very superstitious when it comes to football. He has all these little rituals he needs to perform in order for his team to do well. As if the fortunes of Liverpool FC stood or fell on what one Norwegian guy did in front of the telly.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    c.d. It’s a question that had never occurred to me. Their probably the most well known biscuit over here.
    There are other well-known brands in the UK of course, which reminds me...

Q: What do you call a soul singer with a biscuit on his head?

A: Lionel Rich Tea.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I hear that word a lot? Is it a sort of cookie or biscuit that is actually supposed to help your digestion?

c.d.
    c.d. It’s a question that had never occurred to me. Their probably the most well known biscuit over here.

According to Wiki:

The digestive was first developed in 1839 by two Scottish doctors to aid digestion at a place called Logie Steading in Forres
    I don’t think that they’d aid your digestion much if you scoffed down a whole pack, as my biscuit-addict brother has been known to do

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post
    Hi HS,

They'd say all the other builders' prayers had been answered, if those two had scoffed all the chocolate digestives during the tea break.
    Hi Caz,

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post
    Hi HS,

They'd say all the other builders' prayers had been answered, if those two had scoffed all the chocolate digestives during the tea break.
    I hear that word a lot? Is it a sort of cookie or biscuit that is actually supposed to help your digestion?

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    I wonder what they’s say if, during the course of building this wall, one of the builders fell of a ladder and died? Or one of them was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died?
    Hi HS,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X