Visiting London for the First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting London for the First Time

I've been away from the boards for awhile but I find myself back because I need some travel advice. I am going to London at the end of the week and will be there for a week. Of course I'm going to go on a Ripper tour or two but outside of that all I got is a London tourist guidebook. I was wondering if any locals had some advice for what else to see (beyond the obvious), especially that of a Victorian crime flavor.

I'm not a local, however I was there a couple of weeks back.

You now need a passport for London...it is called "An Oyster Card", without it you are left to walk miles upon miles as the taxis are extortionate and the public transport system does not allow you to pay with cash.

They say London is expensive, however the Petrol is cheaper, the food cost the same, the drink a damn sight cheaper than Edinburgh and there are plenty of bargains to be had.

Keep your phone safe.
    My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
      I'm not a local, however I was there a couple of weeks back.

You now need a passport for London...it is called "An Oyster Card", without it you are left to walk miles upon miles as the taxis are extortionate and the public transport system does not allow you to pay with cash.

They say London is expensive, however the Petrol is cheaper, the food cost the same, the drink a damn sight cheaper than Edinburgh and there are plenty of bargains to be had.

Keep your phone safe.

Were you Drinking in Wetherspoons Dave?
      The price of drink in london is horrendious. Was in Edinburgh last year and certainly cheaper than drinking in central london, where £5+ a pint is not unheard of
      😀

Steve

Comment

Hi Barnaby,

I have a break in London every year and do quite a few guided walks. I recommend this company highly. £10 for a 2 hour plus walk. Or buy a card for an extra couple of quid and get all other walks for £8.

We offer 5* rated walking tours throughout London by the finest blue badge guides. Join us for a few hours of discovery, facts and entertainment.

Enjoy London
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
          The price of drink in london is horrendious. Was in Edinburgh last year and certainly cheaper than drinking in central london, where £5+ a pint is not unheard of
          😀

Steve
          Or you can nip into the local supermarket and buy 6 litres of Psycho-Scrumpy-Lightening-Jack for about 40p
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Barnaby, there’s also the City Of London Police crime museum. Its only small but it’s well worth a look.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Don't forget to pray to Mecca and cover your women while you're in Londonistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                Don't forget to pray to Mecca and cover your women while you're in Londonistan.
                No more necessary than wearing a kippa and observing the kosher laws in the London shtetl of the 19th century.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

London is such a great city... what I would say is you MUST do the natural history museum...outside of being in Whitechapel was the highlight of my first trip to London from the States (well that and seeing Clapton play the Royal Albert Hall...the "real reason" for my 1st trip)

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                    what I would say is you MUST do the natural history museum
                    I agree - it's a wonderful place, as is the British Museum.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                      😀

Steve
                      It was the Red Lion in Whitehall....London pride on tap....I would happily have paid double!

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                        It was the Red Lion in Whitehall....London pride on tap....I would happily have paid double!
                        I fell in love with London Pride while there.. get back to the States and can't get it for the longest time... finally found a place that has it (in bottles) not quite the same but still makes me happy

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                          I fell in love with London Pride while there.. get back to the States and can't get it for the longest time... finally found a place that has it (in bottles) not quite the same but still makes me happy

Steadmund Brand
                          I found it first in bottles, loved it better than most ales on tap...then my local had it on tap as a guest ale...it was like nectar.
                          Last edited by DirectorDave; 06-19-2018, 11:47 AM.

Dave.

Comment

Dave, Steadmund, you have excellent taste... and taste-buds, for that matter.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I always go for London Pride
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X