No announcement yet.

The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wondered what sort of case was sent for trial at the Old Bailey, rather than Hanratty’s, that year.

In May 1961 there was a trial (held mostly in secret) at the Old Bailey for the spy George Blake, who was given a 42 year sentence.

In February 1962, six anti-nuclear campaigners were tried there for direct action protests at USAF Wethersfield. Two of those sentenced, Michael Randle and Pat Pottle, were imprisoned in Wormwood Scrubs – where they met Blake.

After their release Randle and Pottle arranged Blake’s escape and smuggled him to East Germany. Their 1989 book ‘The Blake Escape: How we Freed George Blake - and Why’ led to them being put on trial again. Despite admitting they had done it, and a virtual direction from the judge to convict, the jury found them not guilty on all counts.
    Last edited by NickB; 11-02-2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Hello everyone,

How interesting and stimulating to read all the comments from new posters. I am particularly pleased to see this thread revived as I originally started it to provide some welcome relief from the sometimes distressing tone of other threads on the A6 topic.

Many of you would have heard of the death, in recent days, of the musician Aker Bilk. Being a lady of a certain age with very wide-ranging taste in music, Aker Bilk featured strongly in my childhood, particularly as his music was often played on 'Housewives' Choice', much beloved by my mother.

In 1961, Bilks massive hit 'Stranger On The Shore' was released and it remained in the pop charts for more than a year. It is a wonderful piece of music with great relevance to the '1961 Landscape' theme. However, if I may, I would like to pay tribute to Aker by posting a much later piece of music which is almost forgotten but remains a great favourite of mine.

music: aria artist: acker bilkmy comments about this videoI believe in the creation account in Genesis and although I am sure those who think otherwise could...

Enjoy. RIP Aker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
        Getting back to the topic, the 1960-61 football season saw the introduction of the Football League Cup.

The final was a two legged affair between Rotherham United and Aston Villa. The first leg took place on 22 August 1961,the night of the abduction, with Rotherham winning that match 2-0. The second leg at Villa Park saw the Villa claim the cup 3-2 on aggregate.

I believe that both the Millers and the Villa still play association football at some level or other.

I could be wrong, but didn't Spurs win the double in 1961? I seem to remember that event being celebrated in Jack Rosenthal's Play 'Those Glory, Glory Days'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
          I could be wrong, but didn't Spurs win the double in 1961? I seem to remember that event being celebrated in Jack Rosenthal's Play 'Those Glory, Glory Days'.
          Hi Julie,

Spurs certainly did do the double in 1961, but it was the FA Cup and not the League Cup they won along with topping the First Division. Those were the days when the entire nation watched the FA Cup Final on their flickering black & white TV's, and the streets and shops were deserted. The two players I always remember from that final are Danny Blanchflower and Gordon Banks. Magic! Spurs retained the FA Cup in 1962 when they beat Burnley.

The League Cup was always considered a bit of a side-show compared with the FA Cup.

Graham
          Last edited by Graham; 11-03-2014, 05:30 AM.
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Hi again Julie,

In 1961, Bilks massive hit 'Stranger On The Shore' was released and it remained in the pop charts for more than a year. It is a wonderful piece of music with great relevance to the '1961 Landscape' theme. However, if I may, I would like to pay tribute to Aker by posting a much later piece of music which is almost forgotten but remains a great favourite of mine
            That tune was originally written for his daughter, and called 'Jenny' after her. I think the BBC 'bought it' off him as they wanted it as the theme-tune of a children's TV show called 'Stranger On The Shore'.

Sorry to see old Acker's gone.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Very nice piece of music by Mr Bilk.

I gave my dad "Stranger On The Shore" for his birthday.

Yes, Spurs won the League Championship and FA Cup in 1961. The following year it was the FA Cup again and in 63 the Cup Winners' Cup. I think the next trophy didn't arrive till 1967, FA Cup.

Comment

• I think Kenny Ball also went a couple of years ago? Don't know about Chris Barber.

Comment

• The three B's, all bandleaders born within between January 1929 and April 1930. Chris Barber is still alive and kicking [don't know who's on the end of his kicks though].

"Stranger on the shore" remains a timeless classic. Who knows, perhaps he had watched the 1956 British movie "The man who never was" before composing this memorable tune.
                  "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• And I should add that Johnny Dankworth has gone too. He was contemporary with the three B's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      I think Kenny Ball also went a couple of years ago? Don't know about Chris Barber.

Talking of Kenny Ball, 1961 and all things Russian (Profumo etc), who remembers this excellent piece?

Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen 1961 Midnight In Moscow: released Pye 7NJ2049 Side A and reissued EP - "Hit Parade Vol 1" - Pye NJE1082 in 1962 and reissued .....

Comment

• The original version of Jack the Ripper was released in 1961.

Comment

• Hi Limehouse

I had that one, also "Samantha."

Nick, if he's singing "is your name Mary Clark?" then it was probably influenced by the 1959 John Le Mesurier film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            Hi Julie,

Spurs certainly did do the double in 1961, but it was the FA Cup and not the League Cup they won along with topping the First Division. Those were the days when the entire nation watched the FA Cup Final on their flickering black & white TV's, and the streets and shops were deserted. The two players I always remember from that final are Danny Blanchflower and Gordon Banks. Magic! Spurs retained the FA Cup in 1962 when they beat Burnley.

The League Cup was always considered a bit of a side-show compared with the FA Cup.

Graham
                            G'day Graham

I don't think that is was just the entire nation that watched "The Cup" but just about the entre Western World, maybe excluding the USA.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 1961 saw the end of the longest ever recorded strike

The Danish Barber's assistants return to work after just 33 years [well I thought it was relevant anyway].
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• And in music how can we forget the 1st appearance of the Fab Five [as they were then] at the Cavern Club.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X