Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruth Ellis case

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ruth Ellis case

    I just saw something on "World's Most Unexplained" which mentioned the story of Ruth Ellis, the last woman hanged in the U.K.
    I recognized the name, but didn't recall the details so I looked her up on Wikipedia.

    They mentioned petitions to reconsider her trial judgment, and the fact that "new evidence" might shed new light on her guilt.
    There was a link to a book review in a British paper, but my connection didn't bring it up.

    Does anyone know what are the objections to Ruth as the murderer?

    I read about her history as a nightclub hostess and having had illegal abortions, which I'm sure won her no favors with the Court. I also noticed that one husband apparently mistreated her. And I know she admitted the murder.

    What did the author in 1996 think he had found to support her as not deserving execution?
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

  • #2
    Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    I just saw something on "World's Most Unexplained" which mentioned the story of Ruth Ellis, the last woman hanged in the U.K.
    I recognized the name, but didn't recall the details so I looked her up on Wikipedia.

    They mentioned petitions to reconsider her trial judgment, and the fact that "new evidence" might shed new light on her guilt.
    There was a link to a book review in a British paper, but my connection didn't bring it up.

    Does anyone know what are the objections to Ruth as the murderer?

    I read about her history as a nightclub hostess and having had illegal abortions, which I'm sure won her no favors with the Court. I also noticed that one husband apparently mistreated her. And I know she admitted the murder.

    What did the author in 1996 think he had found to support her as not deserving execution?
    Hi Pat,

    There’s no doubt that she was guilty but the points raised tend be about Blakey’s brutal treatment of her and whether she was pushed over the edge. I saw a good documentary not long ago which involved recordings of her son Andre. There was mention of a man called Desmond Cussen who was also her lover. It was suggested that he might have provided her with the gun and driven her to the crime scene, inferring that he’d perhaps encouraged her to ‘get rid’ of Blakey. I seem to recall Andre remembering her shooting a gun out in a wood somewhere. The suggestion there was that she was practising with Cussen. It was a tragic case and you’re right of course that her ‘lifestyle’ would have done her no favours at the time of the trial. To many she was little more than a prostitute who’d killed the dashing Blakely because he’d rejected her.
    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 02-07-2022, 11:22 PM.
    Regards

    Sir Herlock Sholmes

    Comment


    • #3
      She was bang to rights for premeditated murder. The objection to her execution was that the public took her to heart, and the public only want death sentences for unpopular killers. That would be the same today.

      Pierrepoint make a good observation at the time, other women were facing a death sentence, no one raised the slightest cry for them.

      The case can he made that she was pushed to the limit, but the law as it stood at the time, was clear.

      Ellis, Bentley, Evans, Hanratty. Maybe executing people isn't always the best course.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

      Comment


      • #4
        The 1950s was when Crime of passion was popular, this was seen to come under this, But it was an act of premeditated murder, whilst suffering from diminished responsibility , which was not a defensive plea until 1957, The fact is she emptied the revolver at her lover, wounding a passer by in the hand, and appeared to show no remorse,

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks to all who responded. Very interesting.

          The program I heard the Ellis case mentioned on was looking at paranormal topics. Apparently Ruth has been haunting the town where she was buried, and has been seen numerous times since 1955. Given the circumstances of her death and burial, I don't blame her for being unable to rest.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
            She was bang to rights for premeditated murder. The objection to her execution was that the public took her to heart, and the public only want death sentences for unpopular killers. That would be the same today.

            Pierrepoint make a good observation at the time, other women were facing a death sentence, no one raised the slightest cry for them.
            It was one specific woman to whom Pierrepoint was referring, Styllou Christofi, who was executed in December 1954 a few months before the execution of Ruth Ellis in July 1955.

            Christofi had been convicted of murdering her daughter-in-law in the house which they shared with Christofi's son at 11 South Hill Park Hampstead. This house was only a 100 yards or so from the Magdala pub outside which Ellis murdered David Blakely.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Spitfire View Post

              It was one specific woman to whom Pierrepoint was referring, Styllou Christofi, who was executed in December 1954 a few months before the execution of Ruth Ellis in July 1955.

              Christofi had been convicted of murdering her daughter-in-law in the house which they shared with Christofi's son at 11 South Hill Park Hampstead. This house was only a 100 yards or so from the Magdala pub outside which Ellis murdered David Blakely.
              Cheers Spitfire,

              I remember he mentioned it at some point, the specifics being lost to memory. He was an Odds Bodkins himself, Pierrepoint.
              Thems the Vagaries.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

                Cheers Spitfire,

                I remember he mentioned it at some point, the specifics being lost to memory. He was an Odds Bodkins himself, Pierrepoint.
                Hi Al, Pat and all - yes, Pierrepoint sure was. Muriel Jakubait, Ruth Ellis' sister, claimed that he contacted and harassed her following Ruth's execution.

                I briefly met Muriel once. It was in early 2004. I had a couple of months on gardening leave and helped out some of the time at a local charity shop selling the usual second hand stuff plus hot and cold drinks. She was known to the regulars at the shop and came in for a cup of tea when I was there. I'm pleased it wasn't me who brewed up as she complained about it in no uncertain terms. After she had left, I was told that wasn't uncommon - apparently, she was on medicines which affected her taste and memory.

                I never met her again even though she only lived about a mile away from me. She co-wrote a book about her sister and was regularly featured in the local press campaigning in vain for Ruth to be posthumously pardoned. I believe Muriel died about six or seven years ago. All very sad. I'm glad I resisted my nosiness and left her to her tea and complaint when we met.

                Best regards,

                OneRound

                Comment

                Working...
                X