• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColdCaseJury
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Thanks Antony.

Some inaccurate info online. It said that he was cremated on the 13th so I was thinking “was someone trying to hide something?” Obviously not.

It also said online ‘mid April’ for when the shark was caught so I was trying to consider ‘what would be the chances of all that happening in such a short space of time?’ The arm could hardly have been planted though

Do you have any more detail on the letter that Brady was supposed to have sent Smith’s wife where he mentions being “in a jam?”

Was there ever any suspicion of anything between Brady and Mrs Smith?

I don’t know enough to give a valid opinion yet Antony but it’s difficult to see Brady as not involved. Early money on Brady possibly with Holmes having some involvement.

No trams or chess clubs or mackintoshes in this one then Antony?
    Herlock, all I can say is that I like the way you're thinking!

No trams and intricate timings, but lots of meetings at suspicious times. No chess clubs, just an unremarkable shack in a quiet suburb south of Sydney. No mackintosh, just a tattooed arm in a swimming pool! It does not have the nuance of Wallace - I'm not sure any case does - but it does have a great narrative and cast of characters. Oh, and the evidence can be interpreted in different ways. Just what we like, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post

Smith went missing on 8 April. Shark was caught on 18 April. So, 10 days. As for the other point, Holmes was cremated on Friday 14 June, three days after his shooting. Are you saying these dates and timings might be significant? I sense you're already puffing on your Calabash pipe, Herlock!
    Thanks Antony.

Some inaccurate info online. It said that he was cremated on the 13th so I was thinking “was someone trying to hide something?” Obviously not.

It also said online ‘mid April’ for when the shark was caught so I was trying to consider ‘what would be the chances of all that happening in such a short space of time?’ The arm could hardly have been planted though

Do you have any more detail on the letter that Brady was supposed to have sent Smith’s wife where he mentions being “in a jam?”

Was there ever any suspicion of anything between Brady and Mrs Smith?

I don’t know enough to give a valid opinion yet Antony but it’s difficult to see Brady as not involved. Early money on Brady possibly with Holmes having some involvement.

No trams or chess clubs or mackintoshes in this one then Antony?

Leave a comment:

• ColdCaseJury
    replied
    Now I’m certainly not saying that this has a bearing on the case but...

Smith is killed....dumped in the sea (or at least his arm is)....it’s eaten by a shark....that shark is eaten by another shark....then the shark is caught.

All in the space of a week?

A question....why was Holmes cremated the day after he was killed?
    Smith went missing on 8 April. Shark was caught on 18 April. So, 10 days. As for the other point, Holmes was cremated on Friday 14 June, three days after his shooting. Are you saying these dates and timings might be significant? I sense you're already puffing on your Calabash pipe, Herlock!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Now I’m certainly not saying that this has a bearing on the case but...

Smith is killed....dumped in the sea (or at least his arm is)....it’s eaten by a shark....that shark is eaten by another shark....then the shark is caught.

All in the space of a week?

A question....why was Holmes cremated the day after he was killed?

Leave a comment:

• ColdCaseJury
    replied
    Another photo. This is the infamous "shark arm" with the unique tattoo. Why was it severed from the victim's body? Was it to aid disposal of the body, as suggested by renowned pathologist Sydney Smith? Or was it sent to Patrick Brady as a grisly warning: "see, your friend is dead, you're next"? Or is the truth even more convoluted?

Leave a comment:

• ColdCaseJury
    replied
    A picture of Stanley Watson. Was he connected to the murder of Jim Smith?

Leave a comment:

• ColdCaseJury
    replied
    Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

I´ve written about this case some time back for a Swedish crime magazine, and as I remember things, it was suggested that Holmes ordered his own murder so as to enable his family to cash in on insurance money that would otherwise have gone lost.
    HI Fisherman - yes, you're correct. One theory (advanced by Alex Castles) is that Holmes paid an unspecified person or persons to kill him. As I say in my book, it was an assisted suicide, gangster style. Although Castles refrained from naming anyone in connection with Holmes' death, I suggest the most likely person would have been Albert Stannard, especially as the fingerprints of one of his causal workers was found on Holmes' car door. Roope rejects this theory, however, believing Stannard murdered his erstwhile friend.

The three theories presented and analysed in my book The Shark Arm Mystery concern the death of Jim Smith:

Accessory – Brady was forced to cover up the murder*
    Instigator – Brady arranged the murder in revenge for the shelving of Watson**
    Conspirator – Brady and Holmes worked together to murder Smith.

* Patrick Brady was innocent of murder. This theory is advanced by Roope and Meagher.

** In his book, Castles believed the murder was perpetrated by Eddie Weyman after his colleague (a man named Cottingham) was shelved following a failed bank scam in August 1934. As I show in my book, Castles got his facts muddled - the person who was sent down was a criminal called Stanley Watson, who had previously threatened Jim Smith with a gun.
    Last edited by ColdCaseJury; 10-18-2020, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied

Hello Fish,

Ive recently seem a similar theory online but it gave the reason as saving his family from shame. Antony can correct me if I’ve misunderstood but I think that a book has been written based on this theory.

I bet that you inconsiderately wrote your article in Swedish?
    I´m ashamed to admit it, but yes. They wouldn´t pay otherwise...

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

I´ve written about this case some time back for a Swedish crime magazine, and as I remember things, it was suggested that Holmes ordered his own murder so as to enable his family to cash in on insurance money that would otherwise have gone lost.
    Hello Fish,

Ive recently seem a similar theory online but it gave the reason as saving his family from shame. Antony can correct me if I’ve misunderstood but I think that a book has been written based on this theory.

I bet that you inconsiderately wrote your article in Swedish?

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied

6) If Holmes was shot three times what was done to make it look like a suicide?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    1) Smith was involved in the scams but Holmes had the most to lose - he was the ring leader. Evidence for blackmailing was circumstantial, but quite strong. In his second police statement, Holmes claimed Brady was blackmailing him.

2) Short answer, no.

3) Short answer, yes.

4) Holmes feared implicating himself as an accessory to murder if he testified at the inquest (after speaking to his lawyer)

5) The suicide attempt was most likely near Shark Island in Sydney Harbour rather than at his boat shed. There is some uncertainty concerning the exact details. He claimed he had been shot. The police chased him because he was careering around the harbour in his speedboat (after his suicide attempt).

6) His death was strange in that it looked like he had waited at his wheel of his car to be shot. It was not made out to look like a suicide.

These answers are extremely perfunctory. The longer answers are much more nuanced - as always.
    Thanks for the replies Antony. I’m going to read whatever info is online until the Roope book appears.

Leave a comment:

• ColdCaseJury
    replied
    1) Smith was involved in the scams but Holmes had the most to lose - he was the ring leader. Evidence for blackmailing was circumstantial, but quite strong. In his second police statement, Holmes claimed Brady was blackmailing him.

2) Short answer, no.

3) Short answer, yes.

4) Holmes feared implicating himself as an accessory to murder if he testified at the inquest (after speaking to his lawyer)

5) The suicide attempt was most likely near Shark Island in Sydney Harbour rather than at his boat shed. There is some uncertainty concerning the exact details. He claimed he had been shot. The police chased him because he was careering around the harbour in his speedboat (after his suicide attempt).

6) His death was strange in that it looked like he had waited at his wheel of his car to be shot. It was not made out to look like a suicide.

These answers are extremely perfunctory. The longer answers are much more nuanced - as always.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I’ve read through Wiki’s retelling of the case Antony and I have 6 questions. None of them in connection to any theory.

1) How did the police find out that Smith had been blackmailing Holmes? And what did Smith have on him considering they were involved in the same scam?

2) Did the police have actual evidence of Smith being killed at Brady’s cottage?

3) Was Brady arrested because he was the last person seen with Smith or was there anything else?

4) Do we know anything that happened between 16th and 20th May which caused Holmes to attempt suicide? Would pressure from the police have caused this considering that in June he decides to cooperate with them?

5) When Holmes attempted suicide, in his own boat shed, how did the police come to be chasing him in a boat? Was it that they went looking for him when he didn’t show up at the Inquest?

6) If Holmes was shot three times what was done to make it look like a suicide?

Leave a comment:

• ColdCaseJury
    replied
    I would like to get your views before then too!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Actually, I now prefer e-books (on a Kindle): ability to search, look up a word meaning (even!) etc. With Roope you will get a good account of the case, but little exploration of the different theories and arguments.
    I might be tempted to get the e-book because I doubt I’ll have the patience to wait until May. Until I get the Roope I’m going to have a read of what’s available about the case online.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X