Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
    Hi Gang,
    Jeff, if we believe Liverpool based author Tom Slemen, everything in Liverpool is haunted! He stole the Robert D'Onston Stephenson "Dead or Alive" story, left a charector called D'Onston in it, but moved it to Sefton Park in Liverpool, thus making a who load of readers curious as to what else he has made up!
    Funnily enough, he has a ripper book on the way!

Most Haunted's Derek Acorah, another Liverpudlian, picked up on Maybrick during a live Most Haunted, which was supposed to be about JTR. There was also an episode at The London Dungeon, where Dezza also picked up on Maybrick. Yet, I have not read any books concerning the Maybricks Haunting Liverpool. I would love to set a digital recorder in Battlecrease house, but it would probably record Maybrick singing the song by Shaggy....
    "It wasn't me..."

Anyway, Orbs, I wrote that piece after a rival group member took several shots in a tunnel, and claimed an orb she had photographed, was genuine spirit. She cited that as there was a damp atmosphere, there would be no dust, however, the photo clearly shows the white flaky powder that comes off damp bricks!! Oh how we laughed!

I am split over what is and what isn't genuine, but agree that it needs proper research and investigation.
    Hi Mike, Stan, and Celeste,

I made frankfurters tonight, or rather my mother did (she's getting better). I just bought the franks before I came home. Actually I feel she will be resumng normal living in another two weeks or less.

Thanks all for the good wishes for her recovery.

My inquiry about Maybrick is based on a story that at the still existing Priory in Balham the ghost of an angry man (presumably Charles Bravo) has been seen in the area where his bedroom was located. Such sitings are not uncommon. People who used the Lincoln bedroom in the WHite House supposedly saw that President's ghost. I have never heard of his ghost being seen at the theater box in Ford's Theater.*

*By the way, most people don't realize it but more than just Lincoln died violently at the theater. After the assassination, Stanton arranged to close the building as a theater (understandably so - it seemed indecent at the time to leave it a theater, particularly as the President was killed watching a play and by a well known actor). Ford's became a government office building. It remained so until the upper floors collapsed in 1893, killing about two dozen government employees. Ironically it collapsed in January 1893 on the same day the newspapers announced the death of the great Shakespearean actor Edwin Booth (John Wilkes' brother). The building was not torn down (I don't understand why) but repaired and slowly turned into a museum honoring Lincoln. Now it's an occasional theater again.

I have not heard of many Presidential ghosts, but I am aware that the ghost of Chester Arthur has been sometimes noticed near his still standing (but, alas, unprotected) brownstone in Manhattan on lower Lexington Avenue. The figure is described as a tall man with facial whiskers in a top hat, usually walking towards the brownstone. The brownstone has a small store in the basement - ground floor.

I am curious about ghosts connected to crimes. Deeming, for example, murdered his first wife and four children at Dinham Villa near Rainhill just outside of Liverpool. Nobody has apparently noted any ghosts near that area.

Hence my question about the Maybricks.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• HOT OFF THE PRESS

Late last night I recieved an image taken by a group investigating the site of the old St Mary's Church in Hull. This was the Stephenson family church, where Robert D'Onston Stephenson was christened.

The image shows a large cloaked figure to the left of the graveyard!

I visited Royal Station Hotel a couple of years back, where Deeming and several other ripper related people have stayed. Whilst there I saw several unusual things, and it was very active.
      Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        HOT OFF THE PRESS

Late last night I recieved an image taken by a group investigating the site of the old St Mary's Church in Hull. This was the Stephenson family church, where Robert D'Onston Stephenson was christened.

The image shows a large cloaked figure to the left of the graveyard!

I visited Royal Station Hotel a couple of years back, where Deeming and several other ripper related people have stayed. Whilst there I saw several unusual things, and it was very active.
        Hi Mike,

My next question is, how if a ghost or image or figure is noted can one tell it is the person that one suspects it can be. This cloaked figure can be the manisfestation of D'Onston, but it may be someone who attended his funeral, or (as it is in the Church) it may be some other member of that church's congregation.

Another question occurred to me. Can the ghost of any person supposedly haunt several sites? It occurred to me when I mentioned the Lincoln Bedroom and Ford's Theater, and the President's ghost.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Morning Jeff, I don't believe it is spirit in the image, there seem's to be a lot of water vapour present, and it appears that certain areas appear as something, but it looks to be a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

RDS was buried in Islington, he was only christened at St Mary's, but it could be from another Birth, Marriage or Death, it could even be the Vicar!

I have heard of one spirit haunting more than one location. A lot of the Royal Ghosts have been seen in more than one place, and some years ago my wife spotted my grandfather, who she had never met, in our old house. He had no physical link to the house, as he wasn't alive when we moved in, passing away when I was young, but she saw him and described him to a tee!

Weeks later she saw him again at my fathers house, watching out of the window, again she described him to a tee.

After some searching, we found a photo of him, and showed it to her, and she was amazed!

I saw my grandfather days after my son was born, and like to think he visits regularly. Seeing him, helped me overcome the grief of losing him, and he is always welcome here.
          Regards Mike

Comment

• That UFO Hunters show was interesting. They compared U.K. 2008 to our 1952 "Summer of the Saucers". Some interesting pics and the story about the flying saucer that tried to ram the police helicopter.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Over the past few years there has been numerous run in's between UFO's and Police Helicopters in the UK. The police can't catch criminals, so they have no chance of catching UFO's!

I am just awaiting the local newspaper, who are coming to interview me and take photo's about the Hull Website I contribute to.
              Regards Mike

Comment

• We have thrown a Rod. The Mighty Quinn Putsch was a success. That makes 4 convict governors out of the last 7 we've voted in and 2 out of the last 2. The funny thing is that, up until about a year ago, this guy thought he was going to be the next president as did, our other senator, "Dirty D!ck" Durbin.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                  We have thrown a Rod. The Mighty Quinn Putsch was a success. That makes 4 convict governors out of the last 7 we've voted in and 2 out of the last 2. The funny thing is that, up until about a year ago, this guy thought he was going to be the next president as did, our other senator, "Dirty D!ck" Durbin.
                  Hi Stan and Mike and Celeste,

Mike - the only near experience with ghosts I had was a strange dream I had about four or five years back, where I thought my father was seated at the base of my bed. Of course, he was shrouded - so I did not see any features, but I was certain it was him. No mist or water there. I did not notice the atmosphere, except it was in the dark of the deep night.

Stan - most corrupt politicians are quite egocentric and figure they have a good chance of becoming President. Besides the former Governor of your state, Governor Spitzer had plans for a run if not in 2012 then in 2016. His predecessor who was removed, William Sulzer, really felt he had a chance for the Democratic nomination in either 1916 or 1920 (depending on the success of Woodrow Wilson). This grandiosity of hope must go with the territory of political vision these guys have. It also explains how they think they can get away with things.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Here is today's Hull Daily Mail, featuring a rather handsome man....

Get the latest news from Hull and around the UK. Breaking news & headlines, live blogs, video, pictures and in-depth comment & analysis from Hull Live news team.
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Gang,

My brother saw the cancer surgeon yesterday and the outlook for what he will have to go through is much much better than we were told at first to expect. A 2 hour surgery instead of 10 hours, no jaw breaking or teeth pulled, no feeding tube. So much better, so long as it hasn't spread to his lungs, etc.

Stan, I liked your jokes about Rod. Spare the Rod, threw a Rod gave me a chuckle. I saw part of the UFO storm show but was feeling like I was coming down with a cold, so went to bed early. Hopefully they'll rerun it sunday.

Jeff, Sounds like your mom is on the move. Good deal.

I have had several encounters with what I took to be resident spirits, but, of course, couldn't see them. Others have seen them. One was at an old hotel that had been turned into a museum. I worked there. One was when I was in grad school in a room that had been converted to a library for the dept. The books were donated by a former professor. The other was in the old WWI barracks that was used as an office building for grad students and which also housed something else, which I forget now. During WWII, it was used to house Italian prisoners of war. This building was notorious for the sound of booted feet late at night. The janitor routinely saw a spirit there. I don't know about crime scene ghosts though.

Mike, So who was that handsome guy? Nice picture.
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Celesta, Mike, and Stan,

I'm glad your brother got good news from the doctor Celeste. As for my mother, she was able to receive a guest (a family friend) for dinner tonight.

Gee Mike, I liked the photo - neat little goatee beard.

Stan, I hear the ex-Governor is anxious to have his day in court now. He does not know when it is time to shut up.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• The wife loves the goatee!

Anyway, there have been numerous reports in the British press regarding a haunted hospital in Derby. Some reports state that an exorcism is needed, whilst other reports state that a blessing is all thats needed.

The story breaks

Follow up

BBC reports the matter in a sober fashion
                          BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Another mystery hit the British Press today, when The Sun, contacted several people involved in the disappearance of Shergar!
                          Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi all,

Cel-Glad your brother got an improved prognosis. Hope the cold is better. I haven't had a cold since 1994 so I must have one coming.

Jeff-Yes, Blagojevich's lawyer believes in the "in your face" style. The new Gov is here in town today.

Mike-Congrats to the "cover boy"! How do you handle the groupies?
                            Last edited by sdreid; 01-31-2009, 06:27 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi Mike, Stan, and Celesta,

Mom is more active each day, but I still had to do the shopping for groceries today.

I am glad those articles that Mike put up mentioned that it was supposed to be the ghost of a Roman Soldier in toga and cloak. In the initial account in the SUN, they superimposed a cloaked figure in the photograph for the ghost. But the figure was shown from the back, and the "cloak" looked like a cape. For a moment people at the Royal Hospital at Derby were mass hallucinating, seeing the figure of Clark Kent (a.k.a. Superman) in the hospital.

Funny thing about Shergar. His disappearance in 1983 must have been a major national sensation, but I do not recall hearing of it here in New York City. We usually follow major stories from the British Isles, but that one passed me by. The first time I ever heard about the disappearance of Shergar was in an episode of the series AS TIME GOES BY, when it turns out that Jean/Judy Dench's sister-in-law Penny once predicted the disappearance of the horse (but said it would win the Grand National, not the Derby). After I saw the episode I looked up the horse and found out that it was stolen. I suppose up to 1983 the biggest mystery among champion/legendary race horses was the death of Phar Lap, who may have been poisoned by gamblers. But even that mystery was unknown to me (Phar Lap being a famous Australian horse) until that movie was made about his life.

As for the ex-governor, he might consider changing lawyers.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Morning Gang,

During the week, my wife's father was rushed into hospital. He has MEN1, a rare genetic disorder, and something which my wife has, and he also has cancer. He has fought very bravely for many years, but just recently, during the course of his chemo he contracted a virus. He was rushed into hospital to be treated.

He is doing fine, like i said, he is a fighter, and a true inspiration to us all, but Susan decided we should visit him. The hospital is situated well outside of Hull at a place called Castle Hill, which was once home to a wealthy merchant, who built a massive home to watch over the fields, and ensure the workers were being treated with respect.

Anyway, visiting went well, and he was in high spirits, and being a bit cheeky, so we left after an hour to get the bus home. The hill is open to the elements, and the siberian icy winds were bearing down on us. Sadly, the wife, didn't bother checking the bus timetables, so we missed all the buses!

We had to wait an hour for the next bus, and the winds were getting stronger. At the bus stop is a small shelter, that acted as a wind tunnel, with everywhere else open to the elements.

After 15 minutes, our fingers and toes were going numb, so we started walking up and down the bush shelter to get warm, hugging and cuddling up against the elements. We were both well dressed, with thick coats, hats, scarves and gloves, but it just didn't seem to matter.

I have never been so cold in all my life.

Thankfully the bus arrived...late, and we got home safe, albeit late, and very cold!

Thankfully Ray is doing well, and it was nice to see him.
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X