Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Murder: Who Killed Julia Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody on here have access to 1930s newspaper archives. 'Post' or 'Echo'.
    We need to know , (a)was there any violence in any of the Anfield burglar break-ins previous to the Wallace murder? (b) Were there further Anfield area burglary's, post Wallace murder?(c) How long before the murder was the last break-in? was it the one on the same street? and (d) what were the circumstances surrounding this break-in (did someone say )four doors away?

Comment

• I perused the list last year in the Police file. Not sure if Antony took a photo of it.
      The Wolverton Street job jumped out. From memory, it was near the top of the list, but not the most recent example of the Housebreaker's work.
      AFAIR (from other authors) the burglary's ceased after the murder. I don't think there was ever any violence, as don't recall that he was ever rumbled by any householder.
      Last edited by RodCrosby; 12-23-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• moste
        On another point I think you raised, regarding the quietude of Wolverton Street.

George Holt, who lived in the neighbourhood in 1931 said:-

"It was always a quiet street, with a strange sort of magnified silence." [Wilkes, 1985]

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post
          I perused the list last year in the Police file. Not sure if Antony took a photo of it.
          The Wolverton Street job jumped out. From memory, it was near the top of the list, but not the most recent example of the Housebreaker's work.
          AFAIR (from other authors) the burglary's ceased after the murder. I don't think there was ever any violence, as don't recall that he was ever rumbled by any householder.
          aha. .Interesting. Two schools of thought invited here. The local break in person, hears of someone murdered on his patch, with the talk of a burglary involved, and thinks 'pi** on this! I'm offski.' Or.. He was working his craft with great dexterity until he unfortunately broke into what he thought was a 'ripe for the picking' empty house; only to be surprised by the sudden appearance of Julia, who, because he knew she had recognised him as a local lad, dispatched her mercilessly.
          Or, It was William, because too much points to a 'chess players master plan'

Comment

• Hi folks,

A few posts atm speculating that Parry was responsible along with an accomplice.

I feel a lot more educated on this case having read all the posts over the last year or so (and will invest in CCJ's book in the New Year) but am still no nearer to concluding who done it. However, if we are going to speculate about the involvement of an accomplice, I feel we should consider the possibility of that scenario where Wallace is guilty. If Wallace did the planning but not the physical killing of Julia, it would tick a few boxes for me:

* Wallace's odd behaviour on the way to and in the vicinity of the Menlove Gardens area as he refused to take ''no such place'' as the answer for the whereabouts of MGE and possibly sought to establish an alibi for himself at the time of the killing.

* The question as to ''what Wallace did with the murder weapon'' falls away as he never had it. Pre and post murder it was always in the possession of the accomplice in this scenario.

* The absence of blood stains on Wallace.

As always as it seems though in this case, I'll freely acknowledge that the above raises other questions:

1. Who was the accomplice? I note reference to the possibility of Wallace's sister-in-law in a recent post. I'm in no position to comment on that but if the killer was someone calling at the house, there is a decent chance that he (? she) was known to Julia and/or expected that evening rather than a stranger having to knock and explain himself. That would go some way to explaining the neighbours not hearing the visitor arrive.

2. Why would the accomplice kill Julia? Was murder always intended or did she perhaps disturb him taking the insurance money in ''a gas meter job'' set up by Wallace?

As always here, more questions than answers and with that I'll wish all a merry Christmas and happy New Year,

One Round.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneRound View Post
              * Wallace's odd behaviour on the way to and in the vicinity of the Menlove Gardens area as he refused to take ''no such place'' as the answer for the whereabouts of MGE and possibly sought to establish an alibi for himself at the time of the killing.
              But there is simply no evidence of odd behaviour. Wallace was a professional insurance agent in 1931.

Several people including the tram conductors had led him to believe Menlove Gardens East existed. Even the policeman - who finally told him it didn't - encouraged him to make further enquiries.

None of this gave him an alibi for the alleged time of the killing (as postulated by the Police), in any case...

There is no evidence of Wallace's involvement in the murder in any capacity.

There is evidence for Parry's indirect involvement.

Comment

But there is simply no evidence of odd behaviour. Wallace was a professional insurance agent in 1931. - the fact that he avoided looking in the Parlour when the door was in touching distance is ‘odd’ in the extreme. It’s ‘odd’ that he blatantly lied to Beattie and Caird. It’s ‘odd’ that he can’t get in the backdoor despite that never occurring before. It’s ‘odd’ that he was almost late (by one minute) for his chess match. I could go on...

Several people including the tram conductors had led him to believe Menlove Gardens East existed.- No. They just didn’t appear to know that it didn’t exist. Even the policeman - who finally told him it didn't - encouraged him to make further enquiries. - MISINFORMATION - he didn’t ‘finally’ tell him, he told him straight off that it didn’t exist then, as Wallace seemed ‘super-determined’ he suggested he try another address. There was absolutely no doubt that Wallace was being told categorically, without doubt, that MGE didn’t exist (for the second time!)

None of this gave him an alibi for the alleged time of the killing (as postulated by the Police), in any case...

And the evidence for the accomplice is.....
                Or let’s just say, the evidence for the existence of the accomplice is....

There is evidence for Parry's indirect involvement. - No there isn’t.
                Parry wasn’t involved in any way. His actions on that night show no evidence that he was part of a plan. Quite the opposite in fact.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• yawn...
                  Walsh (junior prosecutor): What did he ask you ?
                  Conductor Thompson: Whether I would put him off at Menlove Gardens East. When the car arrived at Menlove Gardens West, I beckoned to the prisoner, and I pointed out Menlove Gardens West, and said : “That is Menlove Gardens West ; you will probably find Menlove Gardens East is in that direction.’’

Hemmerde KC: What did he ask you ?
                  PC Sargent: He said, “ Do you know, or can you tell me, of Menlove Gardens East ? ” I said, “There is no Menlove Gardens East ; there is a Menlove Gardens North, South, and West.” He said, “I have been to Menlove Gardens West, No. 25. The person I am looking for does not live there, and the numbers are all even,” and I suggested to him he should try 25 Menlove Avenue. He said, “Whereabouts is it ? ” I said, “In the second or third block ” ; and I then said, “It is the third house in the second block.” He said, “Thank you,” and turned as if to go away, and said, “Do you know where I can see a directory ? ” I said, “Yes, you can see one down Allerton Road, or, if you do not see one down there, you can see one down at the police station,” which I pointed out to him.
                  Last edited by RodCrosby; 12-24-2018, 03:58 AM.

Comment

But there is simply no evidence of odd behaviour. Wallace was a professional insurance agent in 1931.

Several people including the tram conductors had led him to believe Menlove Gardens East existed. Even the policeman - who finally told him it didn't - encouraged him to make further enquiries.

There is evidence for Parry's indirect involvement.
                    Rod - ah well, I tried. I feel sorry for anyone going out with you for a drink over Christmas if your wallet is as closed as your mind.

One Round

Comment

• Some Data

A few posts back there was some speculation about the Anfield burglar. Here is some data from the police file.

Evening or night burglaries within 1,000 yards of Wolverton Street Jan 1930 - Jan 1931:

Burglar entered via:

Duplicate Front Door Key: 9
                      Front Door: 1
                      Back Window: 6
                      Back Door: 1
                      SUB TOTAL: 17
                      Afternoon or Morning cases: 6
                      TOTAL: 23

I do not know the activity after the murder, but burglary in the vicinity of Wolverton Street had increased from 5 to 23 cases compared to 1929. It is interesting that so many of the cases involved duplicate front door keys. Make of this what you will.

To all, a very Merry Christmas.
                      Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

• Originally posted by OneRound View Post
                        Rod - ah well, I tried. I feel sorry for anyone going out with you for a drink over Christmas if your wallet is as closed as your mind.

One Round
                        My mind is open to most things, except prejudice and fancy which is contradicted by the facts !

And my friends find me a generous and convivial companion...

So your undue comment is, yawn... prejudice and fancy which is contradicted by the facts !

Merry Xmas, nonetheless

Comment

• [INTERLUDE]
                          recording I made in a side-room at St. George's Hall in 2009, with Liverpool tour guide Steve Binns MBE expounding in his inimitable way on the case...
                          Blind local historian Steve Binns MBE lectures on the "unbeatable" 1931 Liverpool murder case, "the nonpareil of all murder mysteries", according to America...

One of Liverpool's characters, and an inspiration to us all.

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/about-us/abou.../stephen-binns
                          [/INTERLUDE]

Merry Xmas all (even Wallaceites!)

(^_-)

Comment

yawn...
                            Walsh (junior prosecutor): What did he ask you ?
                            Conductor Thompson: Whether I would put him off at Menlove Gardens East. When the car arrived at Menlove Gardens West, I beckoned to the prisoner, and I pointed out Menlove Gardens West, and said : “That is Menlove Gardens West ; you will probably find Menlove Gardens East is in that direction.’’

Hemmerde KC: What did he ask you ?
                            PC Sargent: He said, “ Do you know, or can you tell me, of Menlove Gardens East ? ” I said, “There is no Menlove Gardens East ; there is a Menlove Gardens North, South, and West.” He said, “I have been to Menlove Gardens West, No. 25. The person I am looking for does not live there, and the numbers are all even,” and I suggested to him he should try 25 Menlove Avenue. He said, “Whereabouts is it ? ” I said, “In the second or third block ” ; and I then said, “It is the third house in the second block.” He said, “Thank you,” and turned as if to go away, and said, “Do you know where I can see a directory ? ” I said, “Yes, you can see one down Allerton Road, or, if you do not see one down there, you can see one down at the police station,” which I pointed out to him.
                            How many times are you going to post this? A few months ago you tried to say that Wallace wasn’t told categorically that MGE didn’t exist purely on the Menlove Avenue part. The phrase “There is no Menlove Gardens East; there is a Menlove Gardens North, South and West,” should give you a clue. And this was after he’d been told by Green that MGE didn’t exist.

The fact that Serjeant said that he might try Menlove Avenue is neither here nor there. Beattie had written down the message and Wallace had confirmed it when he’d replied “West?” So Wallace knew that he didn’t want Menlove Avenue, Street or Boulevard! He’d already checked West. It’s perhaps worth mentioning that he never botherered to check north or south. He’d mentioned ‘West’ to Beattie and so checked it out. Perhaps, like you, he believed that all Liverpool police officers were liars?
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

My mind is open to most things, except prejudice and fancy which is contradicted by the facts !

And my friends find me a generous and convivial companion...

So your undue comment is, yawn... prejudice and fancy which is contradicted by the facts !

Merry Xmas, nonetheless
                              Except for reason of course and anything that points away from Parry and the Phantom. There’s not a single, solitary fact that points to an accomplice. It’s a made up scenario re-hash of Hussey. Anyone can invent a scenario to ‘cover’ the facts.

Again, Wallace the likeliest culprit by a country mile.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                                A few months ago you tried to say that Wallace wasn’t told categorically that MGE didn’t exist purely on the Menlove Avenue part.
                                Stop LYING. I never said any such thing. Nor could I, having an encyclopaedic knowledge of the trial testimony.

On the contrary, it was YOU - never having even bothered to read it - who imploded when I pointed out that the PC in fact had encouraged Wallace to keep on looking...

I happy for you to continue to attempt to wreck the thread with your disinformation and misrepresentation.

I actually get a kick out of it, since I know that eventually others will tire of you, and you will follow your late, un-lamented friend (the self-confessed stalker) into oblivion...

Comment

Working...
                                X