Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter
    replied
    I have finished the fine interview with Rob House. Although I don't cotton to suspect books in general, this is one I will certainly purchase as it deals with (for the first time in book form) probably the most prominent contemporary suspect in this case.

The information about the political and social climate in Eastern Europe and East London will be most valuable to those of us who have only a periperal understanding of that topic.

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    Suzy Hanney is the new editor for special features. Diddles is the new executive editor for Casebook Examiner.

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges
    I've not been named Executive Editor.
    Me either. I heard it was Suzi Hanney.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Will do, Tom. I believe Martin mentioned this on a podcast, but maybe off-air. I'll see if I can locate his exact words on True Crime and include that in the next issue.

I've not been named Executive Editor.

All the best.

JM

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Originally posted by JMenges
    Tom writes:

"might have some American readers scratching their heads is the fact that the book has clearly been written for an English audience"

This is probably because this title, and a new one seems to come out every year or so, is really an updated, American version of Fido's 1993 UK imprintThe Chronicle of Crime. He said to me that Barnes and Noble bought the rights to the book and has someone other than Fido updating it. According to Fido, he has nothing to do with the book True Crime, nor does he make much if any money off of it, and is as surprised as anyone else when he sees a new edition on the shelves.

Still, its a good book if you cannot get your hands on The Chronicle of Crime. I was able to find Carlton Books Ltd's 2000 paperback (336 pages) for $8.50 at a local used book store, so they are out there.

JM
    Jonathan,

Since you're apparently now the executive editor, would you be so kind as to include this information in CE8 on my behalf. I'm delighted and relieved to learn that Martin Fido had no part in the nonsense that got under my skin. In fact, had I known that, I would have given it an extra star.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• Hunter
    replied
    I haven't finished reading all of this issue yet, but Jane's article was great... very informative... a must read for anyone interested in the life and times of the women of the East End.

Looking forward to the rest.

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    Good that we agree then, Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    Maria:

Leon Goldstein's only "crime" was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The fact that he came forward to the police to clear his own name is a further point in his favour, and fortunate for us as well, or else we'd probably still have theorists running around saying that it was the mystery man carrying the black bag down Berner Street wot dunnit....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    More like a passionate hatred of them and all things anarchy.
    Just like I thought. (I hate being right all the time.)

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Originally posted by mariab
    Did Albert Bachert perhaps have an agenda against the IWEC?
    More like a passionate hatred of them and all things anarchy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    Nope, Adam, I wasn't giving credence to anything Packer claimed even before reading all the recent articles on Berner Street. Similarly, don't tell me that you have any suspicions pertaining to Leon Goldstein?!

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    You're not giving anything resembling credence to the well and truly debunked stories of Matthew Packer, are you Maria? Let's not forget that Goldstein came forward on his own accord to admit that he was the man spotted with the bag on Berner Street.....

That slightly off-topic comment aside, I haven't had the chance to look right through Examiner #7 yet, but from what I have seen, again it looks excellent - congrats to all involved.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    I had no clue that Leon Goldstein's physical description fitted the man allegedly having bought grapes for Stride, according to Packer. Did Albert Bachert perhaps have an agenda against the IWEC?
    I didn't expect Le Grand and Bachert collaborating with each other either. It would have been stuff fit for a Hollywood movie script.

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Originally posted by mariab
    I'm especially interested in how you've interpreted the ‘coincidence‘ (?) of Bachert describing the exact same suspect as Packer, having allegedly met that suspect in The three nuns.
    Packer and Bachert didn't describe the same man. Bachert essentially described Mortimer's man (who only later turned out to be Leon Goldstein). And no, Le Grand doesn't play a part. I had my suspicions at one time, but so as of yet I've found nothing to suggest that Bachert and Le Grand knew each other.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    My Bachert In Berner Street will be more of the same of what you've come to expect from Tom Wescott - an old piece with no new information!
    I pretty much expected to get your full attention with this, Tom. ;-) Jokes apart, I very much enjoyed your article. It's just that I was already very familiar with the ideas and thoughts in it, from having followed up the discussions/threads on Berner Street. You can see it as a positive development, as in your thoughts having had an impact on the newbies. (And after a while the newbies cease to be impressed. Just kidding.)
    The Albert Bachert article I'm sure will contain new information, and I honestly can't wait to read it. I'm especially interested in how you've interpreted the ‘coincidence‘ (?) of Bachert describing the exact same suspect as Packer, having allegedly met that suspect in The three nuns. (And I have my suspicions.)
    Also apologies for the delayed response to your email, but I was out cold and just woke up, as it's just dawning on the hills here at the Bavarian Alps.

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
    He {Martin Fido} said to me that Barnes and Noble bought the rights to the book and has someone other than Fido updating it. According to Fido, he has nothing to do with the book True Crime, nor does he make much if any money off of it, and is as surprised as anyone else when he sees a new edition on the shelves.
    Wow! In my line of work there's been a nasty lawsuit over such a matter (albeit there was also a misleading, changed book title involved in the edition “update“), which ended up in a prestigious German Press folding, after having lost the lawsuit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X