X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lynn cates
    replied
    mission accomplished

Hello Don. Finally finished, and kudos to all. Jonathan's pieces were well written, providing much food for thought.

Nice, too, to see Adam's speculation about Monty's cause for suicide. Long over due.

Look forward to the next issue.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    new lines

Hello Don.

"it certainly opens up new lines of speculation regarding Kelly's murderer."

It does, indeed. And frankly, it seems to make Fleming's stock go up a bit. It's easy to imagine an unbalanced working class person affording such an exhibit. And, given an obsessive, unhealthy relation with a young lady . . .

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Supe
    replied
    Lynn,

I'm not sure it is navel to knees, but in any case the likeness to the Venus, with removable breasts and lower torso, is quite eerie and all the moreso when, as Mike pointed out, there was an anatomical museum in Whitechapel -- one that even had an exhibit on an earlier "Ripper murder."

Not sure what all this means in terms of Mike's main argument, that Tumblety could well have had anatomical exhibits, including uteri, in D.C. as reported years later by Dunham. However, it certainly opens up new lines of speculation regarding Kelly's murderer. It's a shame so many others seem indifferent.

Don.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    Venus

Hello Don. Having now FINISHED Mike's fine article, I can say that the Florentine Venus could explain some part of MJK's killing. It may, however, leave out the navel to knees mutilation.

Awaiting further investigation.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    Venus

Hello Don. Having only glanced at the article, I can say merely that it is intriguing.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Supe
    replied
    Lynn,

A "Harvey" would seem an apt description, perhaps. Like the obviously gay director -- Corky St. Clair -- in "Waiting for Guffman" whose "wife" was always away from home. And what do make of the Florentine Venus and MJK? Quite uncanny for me.

Don.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    Mrs. Tumblety

Hello Don. I'm halfway through Mike's Tumblety article and, given the discussion of his wife, I gave Ancestry a go. It may interest you to know that the good doctor is part of 8 different family trees, and he is listed as a "black sheep."

Wife? Always listed as without spouse. I tried marriage records. A no go. Wonder if that was a sort of "Harvey" for him?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Supe
    replied
    Lynn,

Yes, H.L. Adams seems to have been a fascinating person. His experience with the crimes of that era make his suspicions about Severin intereswting indeed.

Don.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    kudos

Hello Don. Kudos to Mr. Connell for the piece I just finished. Interesting to see another "yea" for Klosowski.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    voice

Hello Don. Thanks. But I daresay the voices don't match. NO ONE had a voice quite like E E Clive. (And now I await Robert to come on and back me up.)

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Supe
    replied
    Lynn,

I had to seek out a photo of Mr. Clive, but yes, he and H.L. Adams do bear a remarkable resemblance.

Don.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    E E Clive

Hello Don. Just starting my issue. In that first article, the crime historian bears an uncanny resemblance to the actor E E Clive. Don't you think?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Supe
    replied
    Mike is spot on here (why should anyone think differently, LOL) as the resemblance between the so-called "Florentine Venus" exhibit and the scene in Number 13 Miller's Court is uncanny. Did Kelly's killer have that display in mind? It is hard to believe otherwise.

Don.

Leave a comment:

• mklhawley
    replied
    Hi all,

There were a few interesting discoveries while researching this article, not directly related to the main trust of the article. For example, there was a freak museum in operation on Whitechapel Road during the time of the murders recreating at least one of the Whitechapel murder scenes! These nineteenth century public anatomical museums generally had as their main attraction a Florentine Venus -a female dressed in a nightgown in bed with her abdominal organs exposed. Some even had removable breasts. Not that this resembles any of the Whitechapel crime scenes . I have a few more details in the article.

Sincerely,

Mike

Leave a comment:

• The Grave Maurice
    replied
    Oh boy! I'll start reading it right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X