Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livia
    replied
    The original link does not seem to be available.

I use this site:

Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.

For £29.95 (about $50) you can get 30 days of
    access and 3000 credits or about 600 pages.
    Most 19th century newspaper pages cost about
    5 credits, the more recent pages, 20th century,
    can be 10 or 15 credits.

There are also weekly and yearly packages
    available.

Hours of fun.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Welsh Newspapers and Mary Jane Kelly

Thanks for the Welsh Newspapers link !

re the following:

Mary Jane Kellys death...
    If you look at the bottom of the first column and the top of the second, it states she lived with a Joseph Kelly of Bethnal Green before? Does anybody know about this? Or do you think they meant Joseph Flemming?

Pat....................................

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    G'day Chris

Thanks for the link.

Leave a comment:

• Bridewell
    replied
    Interesting article here on the Chapman murder. A mixture of accurate and inaccurate information - nothing new there - but the description of the building and yard is more detailed than most and includes reference to the rusty padlock on the shed door being broken (Richardson?) and a supposed sighting of "the murdered woman" with a man presumed to be her killer in "The Bells on Brick Lane". Does anyone know if there was such a place?

Thanks from me, Chris, also (especially as it's free!).
    Last edited by Bridewell; 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM. Reason: Add link and last line.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Thanks for that, Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Here's a site I hadn't seen before - Welsh Newspapers Online, provided by the National Library of Wales:

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Archaic

I think it's also true to say that there were for most of the 19th century few illustrations except in publications such as the Illustrated Police News or the Penny Illustrated. Most newspapers would just be straight text.

All the best

Chris
    Well not quite. There was:

The Pictorial News
    The Pictorial World
    The Weekly Dispatch
    The People
    The Star
    The New York Herald
    Lloyds Weekly News
    Reynolds Newspaper

To name a few and there were other provincial papers as well.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    Hi, do any of you know if this site allows one to view the news illustrations as well, or is it only the text?

If the latter, and anyone knows where I can view news illustrations online, that info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Archaic
    Hi Archaic

I think it's also true to say that there were for most of the 19th century few illustrations except in publications such as the Illustrated Police News or the Penny Illustrated. Most newspapers would just be straight text.

All the best

Chris

Leave a comment:

• jerrip
    replied
    Does anyone know if you get reprints of the newspapers on newsprint?

Jer

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied
    The pages are actual scans of the newspapers and you can zoom in, print, or save. Some of the newspapers I viewed had a couple of illustrations but I wasn't looking for anything in any of the London newspapers, so I am not sure how they are covered.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    Hi, do any of you know if this site allows one to view the news illustrations as well, or is it only the text?
    When I have used it at the British Library, it has included a scan of the whole page of the newspaper.

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied

If the latter, and anyone knows where I can view news illustrations online, that info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Archaic

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
    I invested in the £9.99 package and came away with over 60 new news reports on the Stephenson and Dawber families, so great result. The only downside is, they don't show you how much you have left on your credit.
    If you click on the "My Usage" icon (looks like a battery running down!) it pops up a window that shows you your remaining balance. I've looked at 30 pages, and have 180 credits remaining.

Many thanks to Maurice for drawing this to our attention!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied
    I invested in the £9.99 package and came away with over 60 new news reports on the Stephenson and Dawber families, so great result. The only downside is, they don't show you how much you have left on your credit. It just runs out leaving you thinking "Eh?"

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Thanks for sharing this! Archaic

Leave a comment:

Working...
X