Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting Just What Of McCormick's Tales To Discard

One of the most exciting books on Jack the Ripper I read early on, was

"The Identity of Jack the Ripper" by Donald McCormick.(1959).

Having been so titilated by this book, I went on to read his other books.

These were mainly celebrated murder books and spy books.

Written in the journalistic style of his era, that is, invented quotes and dialogue, no references and no footnotes. Very few date attributions if any.

I think it was Paul Begg who early on, discovered how lots of McCormick's most interesting revelations were, quite possibly, inventions.

See for instance, his claims about assertions by Albert Bachert in 1889 about the Ripper being dead.

One of McCormick's other intriguing claims- made in his revised edition of 1972
    - was that Walter Sickert had told Sir Melville Macnaghten at the Garrick Club, that he knew of a vetinarian student from Bournemouth whose mother came to take him home to die when he was discovered to have tuberculosis.
    McCormick alleged it was from this yarn that Macnaghten had become convinced of Druitt's guilt because he too had relatives in Bournemouth, and Sickert had claimed the vetinarian was surnamed Hewitt of Drewitt or something.

Could that yarn have been McCormick's confused misunderstanding of a story based upon club-member (Farquharson) having confided his Druitt Suspicion theory to Macnaghten. And McCormick getting the whole story about-face and upside down?

McCormick relied heavily on yellowed clipping files in the Thompson Newspaper empire . Quite possibly there will be found that there was a germ of truth in some of his more interesting claims, based upon his inaccurate notes taken from those very clippings.

I do not think we should dismiss every claim made by McCormick in his JTR book without a thorough and, no doubt, rewarding, re-examination.

JOHN RUFFELS.

I am not condoning the invention of stories pretending to be actuall evidence, but I had never heard of this before and it sounds very interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, maybe one day it will be a brilliant charity shop find (anybody else love it when that happens and you uncover a little gem long out of print and a little saggy around the seams but well worth a read?). Some of the most entertaining reads can be the ones that are best taken with a pinch of salt.
    There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Working...
    X