Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Mae
    replied
    I think authors are pretty much getting ripped off wherever we are. Seems publishers are taking more and more. However, I am with one pub that I'm happy with. 20% royalty on print books, seven author copies, 7.5% on ebooks. (no advance hardly anywhere) That is GOOD in America.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hinton
    replied
    Book

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post

PS. What is to stop you setting up a website and marketing your book directly to the public? The hard thing is surely creating the publicity.
    But that's the galling thing. I don't have a book I want published at the moment. They came to me asking me to write a book for them - but wanting to pay me nothing for doing so!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Leahy
    replied
    I think you'll find Bob, publishing is not the only industry effected like this at the moment. But I also sympathize...

Pirate

PS. What is to stop you setting up a website and marketing your book directly to the public? The hard thing is surely creating the publicity.
    Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 07-16-2009, 12:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Jack
    replied
    my advice... tell 'em to stick their terms where the sun don't shine.
    At this rate you boys are going to end up working for the Yankee Dollar.
    My last deal with an independent publisher was 50%, but that was the fiction market.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Bob, could they simply be trying it on? Have you insisted on the old terms? Who knows, they might agree.

Leave a comment:

• John Bennett
    replied
    With Five Leaves, I was quite pleased with the terms I was given as a first-timer. 7.5% royalty, 12 complimentaries and a small advance. They also paid for the the archive photographs (about £400 worth)which was a weight off my mind.

I have just finished a book which was considered by The History Press and it went to the committee twice before being pooh-poohed by the marketing and finance people.

It is now in the hands of Amberley who are giving a sample the once-over. They got back to me within an hour of my e-mailed submission. Does anybody here know what their terms are?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hinton
    started a topic Raw Deal For Authors?

Raw Deal For Authors?

I received a letter from the History Press (Sutton Publishing) on Monday inviting me to write another book for them. However on ringing them I was rather shocked to find that they had changed the terms they were offering to authors. In my last contract I was given 13% royalty, 12 complementary copies, a reasonable advance and a lump sum for photographs and illustrations.

Their new terms are: royalties now 7.5%, 6 copies of the book and no advance!

I cannot understand how they hope to get authors to write for them under these terms, unless they are banking on some people being so desperate to see their work in print they will be willing to practically self publish.

I would be interested in hearing the viewpoints of board members on this point.
Working...
X