X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monty
    replied
    It was more an urging of caution with Edwards,

However, this is a different beast. Gladly Simon doesn't share his eating habits and what time he went to bed, and focuses on the business in hand.

Monty

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Originally posted by Monty View Post
    The fact 'said quarters' have kept their counsel, unlike they have with the recent Edwards episode, kinda pooh-poohs the suggestion that there is a fear of wheel failure.

Interesting book, as one should expect from Simon.

Monty
    Hello Monty,

Indeed. Totally agree. For it could be argued, said quarters not keeping council could cause a detrimental effect on the loosening of said wheels. Wise choice.

And not everyone pooh poohed the Edwards effort straight away either. I note that both you and I did so right from the off though. See through that was.

Hope you are in good health. ☺

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    The fact 'said quarters' have kept their counsel, unlike they have with the recent Edwards episode, kinda pooh-poohs the suggestion that there is a fear of wheel failure.

Interesting book, as one should expect from Simon.

Monty

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges View Post
    Thanks for the review, Phil.

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it. The section on Lees was great. I am reading stuff in this I have never, ever, read in a Ripper book before. Simon has given us a great present with this one.

JM

Hello JM, all,

Forgive me for quoting from your posting JM, but I thought I would let the book have time to sink in a little, and possibly be reread.

Having just completed my 4th reading of this book. I have to agree with both yourself and Jerryd that it is indeed an excellent book. As I wrote earlier, in all honesty, this book is most thought provoking. Because of the nature of the book, it attacks certain elements of theory that has become "written in stone" over many years. That being the nature of the beast, this will attract criticism from some and there may perhaps even be attempts to "label" the true meaning of the book.

As the author points out at the start, he is not a conspiracist and is not promoting the kind of conspiracy often linked with this subject. However, a true understanding of the book shows the behind the scenes actions and reactions amongst those heavily involved at the highest level. The clear picture of the individual in fighting and the lengths gone to to maintain a jockeyed position comes through alarmingly clearly, as does the continual methodology used since in keeping the "original story" in the spotlight whilst playing down or even diverting away any inkling of anything untoward having been done by any of those involved in the hierarchy of the police force of the time.

This may cause controversy in some staid quarters. For the idea that any wheel should fall off the ripperological bandwagon will upset the long promoted "status quo". This the author shows and explains most clearly as well. Mr Wood is unafraid to attack this element too.

This book is serious. Easily one of the best books ever written on the subject. .and in a cast of hundreds, the book can be seen as a breakthrough book revealing a much needed breath of fresh air.

People need to buy and read this book. It is important. Only once in a very long while does a book of this sort appear. An open minded reader will see the true value and meaning of the written words presented. Without fear of labelling the author or his work conspiratorial in any way. He is presenting facts and occurrences that needed to be seen in their true light. Not hidden behind the all too often seen cover of defending the given status quo of the tale of "Jack" and his pursuers.

Thought provoking and seriously original IMHO.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Dane_F
    replied
    After such a glowing review I could not help myself but purchase it. If him not mistaken the $9.99 price is reduced from when what it was originally listed it. At that price point it is hard to not impulse buy.

I am about halfway through JTR At Last and will be looking forward to this one when its done. Now if only Monty would get a Kindle version of his book.

Whenever I finish the book (who knows how long that will be as I usually read multiple things at one time in diferent genres) I will write a review too. In the meantime I hope others will review it as well.

Leave a comment:

• jerryd
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanda Sumner View Post
    Is $10 dollars exorbitant? I thought it very reasonable, considering how much some authors charge. I'm sure it will be worth every penny and after Phil's excellent review I am even more looking forward to reading it :-)
    It is excellent! Be prepared to read it over a few times. Simon's knowledge of the case is much deeper than my own so it took some time to digest. I'm just glad he shared all his research with us.

Thanks Simon!

JerryD

Leave a comment:

• Amanda Sumner
    replied
    Originally posted by Ally View Post
    And only $9.99 for a Kindle e-book! I do always love when anyone who is offering their work for an exorbitant price, be it Simon Wood or Patricia Cornwell, sneers at Ripperology as a money making enterprise. Despite that, I look forward to reading the book, when I can get it second hand or bootlegged of course, so Simon won't be tainted by my grubby money.

Is $10 dollars exorbitant? I thought it very reasonable, considering how much some authors charge. I'm sure it will be worth every penny and after Phil's excellent review I am even more looking forward to reading it :-)

Leave a comment:

• Ally
    replied
    ...and even moneymaking tales and the constant need to keep the status quo of "The Ripper and his story" afloat above all else for many years, from many sources. Simon Wood is unrepentant in his conclusions in finding these things.
    And only $9.99 for a Kindle e-book! I do always love when anyone who is offering their work for an exorbitant price, be it Simon Wood or Patricia Cornwell, sneers at Ripperology as a money making enterprise. Despite that, I look forward to reading the book, when I can get it second hand or bootlegged of course, so Simon won't be tainted by my grubby money.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Thanks for the review.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    anticipating

Hello Phil. Thanks for the review.

I am anticipating my copy.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    Many thanks for your review of this promising work, Phil.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Thanks for the review, Phil.

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it. The section on Lees was great. I am reading stuff in this I have never, ever, read in a Ripper book before. Simon has given us a great present with this one.

JM

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Review of the book

Herewith a review of the book:

Deconstructing Jack: The Secret History of The Whitechapel murders, by Simon Daryl Wood. Kindle edition, around 700 pages. Amazon Media. £6.47p.

Having spent many hours reading, rereading and researching the facts presented, the initial thought is that Simon Wood has attempted a rescue. Without any nonsense, naughty add ons nor insertions of unworthy note, this book does exactly that. It causes the mind to completely start afresh when approaching the subject of The Whitechapel Murders. The angle that the author writes from is not the "expected" angle if Ripperological history as has so often been presented in book form before. Not "who" was "Jack the Ripper" nor even "what" was "Jack the Ripper" but a very educational view opening up the box entitled "why....".

The single most important factor, the background goings on in the study if the murders has so often been either ignored, poorly written about or even rashly dismissed as unimportant by various commentators throughout the last 126 years. Simon Wood however has firmly nailed those events to the mast for all to see.

The political climate, both fro within Parliament itself, and also from within the individual agendas of the higher ranking echelons of the police force of the day, are clearly established. Whereas before these happenings have been merely presented as disparate facts, here the author has bound them tightly together allowing us to see far more clearly from an objective viewpoint.

The attention taken in revealing the weaknesses of previously presented theories is akin to taking apart a gold watch, laying every piece out on the table in front of you, and without any preconception, examine and cleaning each piece, removing all dirt, and meticulously putting each working part together again in order to understand how each part affects another it is in constant contact with. That way an understanding of "what, when how and why" the watch is created appears. Simon Wood has, in brilliantly effective style, done exactly that with this mammoth literary offering.

It would be pointless to try and surmise the details of this work without saying that it is simply because of the extraordinary attention to detail being cleanly presented, that a fresh and alarmingly striking impression is left in the mind.

Traditional Ripperological views are examined in detail as well, resulting in a very clear message for one and all to understand. We have been subjected to deceit, lies, misconception (both deliberately planted and accidental), invention of false facts and even moneymaking tales and the constant need to keep the status quo of "The Ripper and his story" afloat above all else for many years, from many sources. Simon Wood is unrepentant in his conclusions in finding these things.

The author relates that anyone who had dared to question said status quo of the much vaunted tale of "Jack" has been branded, quite unfairly at times, with the epithet "conspiracist". He dhows quite clearly why such branding has been misdirected by those who fear a change to the story that has been so eagerly presented with such guy abandon for many years. This work attempts to highlight and hopefully put a stop to all of that.

Therefore, this book will not be liked by some in certain quarters...mainly because it tears apart the reputations of senior policemen who are the source of many traditional ripperological theories, and blows apart those theories presented which have been the core and the base for historical research and comment for many many years. However, when looking at this presented scenario by this author, with a totally objective eye, truly "without fear nor favour" and without any presumed bias of assumption, then one simply has to admit that this study of the shockingly sad tragedies of 1888 is revealing refreshing and thought provoking.

I suspect that there is much more the author could gave included in the book whilst using his microscopic lens of assessment. Differing factions of anarchists with differing ideologies living in this tightly packed community being one. I suspect that a follow up volume may well be in mind too.

Buy this book. It is well worth the Kindle price and is one of the best page turning offerings this genre has ever been presented with. It is well worth the effort to get to the end of the book and you may well find yourself rereading it many times over. Do not hesitate. .For this book is an absolute must, whatever your current views on the subject.

Simon Wood's attempted rescue has been most worthwhile. Certainly one of the best books ever written on the subject, and in a style that is most educational therefore I can both totally and highly recommend anyone with an interest in the subject and in historical research to buy this offering. You will not regret it.

Phil Carter

Leave a comment:

• Dane_F
    replied
    In the US you can buy it through Amazon for reading on their kindle app.

I'm intrigued and will bookmark it for possible reading after I get through with my current stack of reading. So, so many books to read.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    I desperately need this book. Can anyone please assist?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X