Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Punch 1888

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I can’t recall how much I paid for mine but I think that I bought it in Hay-On-Wye at the same time that I board a bound Copy of The Strand Magazine with a Sherlock Holmes story in.
    Regards

    Sir Herlock Sholmes



    “Conspiracy theorists, she knew, were paranoid by definition, and usually with good reason – they were indeed being watched, largely because they were standing on an upturned bucket, haranguing the sheeple about their wingnut delusions.”

    “If you argue with a madman, it is extremely probable that you will get the worst of it; for in many ways his mind moves all the quicker for not being delayed by the things that go with good judgment.”

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      I can’t recall how much I paid for mine but I think that I bought it in Hay-On-Wye at the same time that I board a bound Copy of The Strand Magazine with a Sherlock Holmes story in.
      Brilliant stuff H

      Comment


      • #18
        Fantastic stuff. Are there many articles in them about the case? Or just the satirical pics?
        Best Regards,

        Tristan

        Comment


        • #19
          I found my good condition Punch for the years 1887 to 1889 in a book shop in Lymington, on the edge of the New Forest, several years ago. I think I paid 24 for it - a bargain!

          Love,

          Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
            Fantastic stuff. Are there many articles in them about the case? Or just the satirical pics?
            Not much information to be honest !! As you state satirical really but quality drawings-cartoons! Just real nice to see them hold them read them and a instant connection to 1888 literally!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by caz View Post
              I found my good condition Punch for the years 1887 to 1889 in a book shop in Lymington, on the edge of the New Forest, several years ago. I think I paid 24 for it - a bargain!

              Love,

              Caz
              X
              Wow fantastic find & price find it incredible to hold read such a item from 1888!! Instant connection back in time!! You agree Caz?? X

              Comment


              • #22
                Ooh, after seeing this thread yesterday, I checked eBay, and now I am excitedly waiting for my own copy. It will be great to have an original copy of the famous "Blind Man's Buff" cartoon. It is so iconic.

                I love reading contemporary publications, so this should keep me busy for a bit.

                The copy I got is not in great nick, looks a bit foxy and scruffy. But I don't mind. I am not buying it as an investment, just as a fascinating addition to my collection. I was the only bidder and got it for 15.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Christian View Post

                  Wow fantastic find & price find it incredible to hold read such a item from 1888!! Instant connection back in time!! You agree Caz?? X
                  Oh yes, Christian! It truly is the gift that keeps on giving. As I was posting yesterday, I was looking at my Punch on the lowest book shelf and read 1887 to 1889 from the spine. Our cat Monty was in his basket by the radiator, just in front of the book, so I didn't want to disturb him. But looking inside just now, there is a price of 14 written in pencil, and the first volume is actually XCIII - July to December, 1887, followed by Volume XCIV - January to June, 1888; Volume XCV - July to December, 1888; and finally Volume XCVI - January to June, 1889.

                  Love,

                  Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by caz View Post

                    Oh yes, Christian! It truly is the gift that keeps on giving. As I was posting yesterday, I was looking at my Punch on the lowest book shelf and read 1887 to 1889 from the spine. Our cat Monty was in his basket by the radiator, just in front of the book, so I didn't want to disturb him. But looking inside just now, there is a price of 14 written in pencil, and the first volume is actually XCIII - July to December, 1887, followed by Volume XCIV - January to June, 1888; Volume XCV - July to December, 1888; and finally Volume XCVI - January to June, 1889.

                    Love,

                    Caz
                    X
                    Fantastic stuff Caz!! Do you have a large JTR book collection like myself?
                    you sure do have a nice early-later Punch collection!! X

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                      Ooh, after seeing this thread yesterday, I checked eBay, and now I am excitedly waiting for my own copy. It will be great to have an original copy of the famous "Blind Man's Buff" cartoon. It is so iconic.

                      I love reading contemporary publications, so this should keep me busy for a bit.

                      The copy I got is not in great nick, looks a bit foxy and scruffy. But I don't mind. I am not buying it as an investment, just as a fascinating addition to my collection. I was the only bidder and got it for 15.
                      Fantastic Azarna!! Great price too yes some of the Punch illustrations are iconic indeed and a direct link to the period!! Love the social history aspect of the case enjoy!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Christian View Post

                        Not much information to be honest !! As you state satirical really but quality drawings-cartoons! Just real nice to see them hold them read them and a instant connection to 1888 literally!!
                        Amazing!
                        Best Regards,

                        Tristan

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

                          Amazing!
                          Thanks Tristan

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The copy of Punch I won on eBay just turned up. It is in much better condition than the description implied (which is probably why I was the only bidder). The three Ripper related cartoons are all in fantastic condition. I am looking forward to reading more of the book - whilst I suspect I won't understand a lot of the political humour, there are loads of things relating to social conditions, royalty and everyday life too.

                            I am still working on my book about the Whitechapel murder victims, and this is going to be a really useful resource to help me understand more about the period, and how people perceived the issues of the day.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                              The copy of Punch I won on eBay just turned up. It is in much better condition than the description implied (which is probably why I was the only bidder). The three Ripper related cartoons are all in fantastic condition. I am looking forward to reading more of the book - whilst I suspect I won't understand a lot of the political humour, there are loads of things relating to social conditions, royalty and everyday life too.

                              I am still working on my book about the Whitechapel murder victims, and this is going to be a really useful resource to help me understand more about the period, and how people perceived the issues of the day.
                              Brilliant!! Working on a book wow!! Interesting and time consuming I’m sure? Good look with book

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X