“Killers of the Flower Moon” by David Grann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Killers of the Flower Moon” by David Grann

If you like historical true crime, which I imagine many of you do, I highly recommend this book. It’s outstanding. It’s about the Osage Indian Murders in Oklahoma in 1921. In a nutshell, these Indians were forced from one reservation to the next until they finally arrived Oklahoma where they owned the land outright. Oil was soon discovered on their land and the once destitute Osage Indians became, per capita, the richest people in the world at the time. But oppressive US law concerning the distribution of oil money allowed them to be preyed on by criminals. Basically, a group of influential townspeople conspired to kill them off one by one for their oil rights. The book goes into great detail about this now almost forgotten case, and how the FBI finally dug past all the corruption and coverups to solve it. This was one of the first major FBI cases and set J Edgar Hoover up to be the all powerful police beaurocrat that he became.

anyways, again, highly recommended.
    Last edited by Pontius2000; 09-28-2020, 12:54 AM.

Originally posted by Pontius2000 View Post
    If you like historical true crime, which I imagine many of you do, I highly recommend this book. It’s outstanding. It’s about the Osage Indian Murders in Oklahoma in 1921. In a nutshell, these Indians were forced from one reservation to the next until they finally arrived Oklahoma where they owned the land outright. Oil was soon discovered on their land and the once destitute Osage Indians became, per capita, the richest people in the world at the time. But oppressive US law concerning the distribution of oil money allowed them to be preyed on by criminals. Basically, a group of influential townspeople conspired to kill them off one by one for their oil rights. The book goes into great detail about this now almost forgotten case, and how the FBI finally dug past all the corruption and coverups to solve it. This was one of the first major FBI cases and set J Edgar Hoover up to be the all powerful police beaurocrat that he became.

anyways, again, highly recommended.
    Hi Pontus,

Good call. I still have this book somewhere but it’s been a while since I read it. I’d definitely second your recommendation.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
    X