Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the worst Ripper book you've ever read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same book - different reason!

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
    'Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders'. Without a doubt. Had me grimacing for hours.
    It had me in stitches! I just loved all those super secret conversations between various parties which apparently had a secretary taking notes in shorthand so that future researchers would know exactly what was said.

Comment

Fame at last!

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      Right you are, GM. The best Hutchinson books are Garry Wroe's Person or Persons Unknown and Bob Hinton's From Hell.

Regards,
      Ben
      Quite right Ben ( cheques in the post!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
        Terence Sharkey's 'Jack the Ripper: One hundred Years of Investigation' is utter drivil and full of errors.
        'The Ripper Code' by Thomas Toughill isn't far behind.

Rob
        In Hull "The Ripper Code" was dumped in the Fiction section in several bookshops, and quite rightly so!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          Why did you waste your time reading some of these books in the first place?
          Well, it's always good to try. That said, some are so bad that one may not get round to finishing them! Or they're so bad they just HAVE to be finished, just for entertainment value.

Actually, Bob, that's a fair comment. Epiphany did make me laugh out loud a few times (when I wasn't cringeing).

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Good answer, Nunners, and a good choice. "Autumn of Terror" is still one of the most enjoyable books on the subject ever to have been written, even after all these years.
            OMG Cheers Gareth!!! I didn't dare post that!!! It's still one of my all time favs!!!...Must be the 4th or 5th time I've read it but it never ceases to entrance me!!.... May say more about me than Tom Cullen maybe!

* Are you sure 'the first is always the best' Richard N (Can we safely say Nunners now??) ??? (eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!)

As to 'enjoyment' I don't think The Epiphany' comes into that bracket- but it kept us all going for a bit 'eh and raised a few bob- Cheers Jeremy!!!!..

....(At least I didn't take to reading it out loud on the streets though Rob 'eh!)

Hopefully it won't be just a matter of time......... 'A Matter Of Time'.........Mind you -that sounds like a good title 'eh!

Suz x
            Last edited by Suzi; 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM.
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

The Ripper and the Royals

Originally posted by efarrall View Post
              The Ripper and the Royals, for me, is the worst book I've ever read. I don't know if it's because that Melvyn Fairclough is still credulous enough to believe anything Joseph Gorman says...
              Hello Elizabeth,

Melvyn Fairclough may have believed Joseph Gorman Sickert once, but not anymore - not for a long time. As far back as 2001, when both Melvyn and Gorman attended the UK Ripper Conference at Bournemouth, Melvyn seemed quite disenchanted with Gorman's theories.

All the best,
              Hook
              Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
              Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Bizarre as it can be at times The R & the R isn't that bad- especially if you're not that interested in the history /research of the case and just fancy a 'cocktail party' type -'Did you know' conversation -I suppose...

Now for facts... we ALL know where we should be looking- and this isn't the thread for this -but as I posted earlier Tom Cullen's 'Autumn of Terror' masterpiece takes a LOT of beating for sheer NON fiction enjoyment (but with tantalising little bits of 'Oh I know who that's supposed to be' [hehe] moments!! -If you haven't read it- get hold of a copy (tricky at times- try ebay and take your chances ) buy it -and read it!

If I wasn't reading something else at the mo (Pratchett's new one 'Nation'!)..I'd pick it up again- and again!

Suzi x
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                  One of the 'oddest' has to be Murder and Madness' by Dr David Abrahamsen not to say it's THAT bad.
                  That's my pick. Probably the smallest, shortest Ripper book I have ever owned or read, and it is the worst of the lot by far, IMO. That's the only one I've ever picked up that I could not finish, and instead threw at the wall every time I tried... Absolute dreck.

Mind, I'm quite open to Trenouth being worse -- I've not read that one, and frankly, I won't be reading it ever.
                  ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Have we all forgotten the Duck, and the clunk of his Samsonite briefcase?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                      In Hull "The Ripper Code" was dumped in the Fiction section in several bookshops, and quite rightly so!
                      Yeah that sounds about right. Shame really, it's taken about 20 years to come out which probably explains why it reads like it was written in the 1980s.

Rob

Comment

John Plimmer gets my vote for The Whitechapel Murders Solved? as well. Admittedly Epiphany is a worse book, but it was privately published through Lulu. Plimmer's book was published not once, but twice, by reputable publishers playing on his reputation as a former West Midlands police detective, and I once played a game of trying to find a major error on every page and was succeeding until I got bored and gave up.

One nobody else has mentioned, possibly because it's in French, is Sophie Herfort's effort Jack l'Eventreur Demasque from last year. Complete and utter pile of toss from beginning to end. I never got round to reviewing it in the end because I accidentally left my review copy in a taxi and there was no way I was actually going to fork out hard earned cash for a replacement.
                        Say hello: http://www.myspace.com/alansharpauthor

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                          Melvin Harris critiqued Wilding's first book so in Revisited Wilding takes the opportunity to take a pop back at Melvin.
                          If there's a third edition, no doubt Tom Wescott may be coming in for some stick. Check out the comments Wilding left on his review of the Revisited book on RNE (also note the link to the additional page at the bottom of the review before the comments.)

http://extra.rippernotes.com/?p=46
                          Say hello: http://www.myspace.com/alansharpauthor

Comment

Poor old Eddy and JK do seem to attract the most... interesting... kind of authours, don't they?

B.
                            Bailey
                            Wellington, New Zealand
                            hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                            www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Tom Cullen's 'Autumn of Terror' is, as Suzi says, a damn good read and very entertaining.

I only got through the first chapter of Plimmer's rubbish before I binned it - a former detective, was he??? Gordon Bennett! At least Cornwell's nonsense is well-written nonsense, but again I only magaged the first few pages. The TV documentary she financed was even worse.

Oddly enough, when it first came out, I thought Stephen Knight's book was exceptional, but when I tried to re-read it last year I couldn't believe how naive I must've been. Hey ho...

Cheers,

Graham
                              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I'm truly sorry to've started this thread now because I've never heard about some of these books and most sound so dreadful that I must read them, just for jolly wouldn't you?. Epiphany, Plimmer and JtR Revealed, Revised, Reserved, whatever to begin with. I'm not buying them tho', I may be stupid but I'm not dumb. You see this is what happens when you post a non-serious thread, it comes back to bite you. I won't've learnt my lesson tho'.

Elizabeth
                                JustForJolly

Après moi, le déluge

Comment

Working...
                                X