• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• packers stem
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Herlock,

The rent arrears was a tacit way of letting us know that MJK had been in Room 13 for at least six weeks.

According to Barnett, MJK didn't go back on the game until the end of October [ten days before the Millers Court murder].

Regards,

Simon
    Hi Simon
    No doubt
    McCarthy had his own agenda

My particular favourite are the letters from Ireland but not knowing the location
    So we can take it that the postman decided to cross out the limerick or Dublin or wherever postmarks on these letters and scribbled 'ireland' on them ...

Nick

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Herlock,

The rent arrears was a tacit way of letting us know that MJK had been in Room 13 for at least six weeks.

According to Barnett, MJK didn't go back on the game until the end of October [ten days before the Millers Court murder].

Regards,

Simon
    Last edited by Simon Wood; 10-06-2018, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Just as a side issue, one of the aspects of the case that has always raised my eyebrows is why did McCarthy allow Mary Kelly to run up such large rent arrears? It’s probably not a fact that he’d have wanted known. He wouldn’t have wanted to be known as a soft touch and I’m assuming that Mrs Mac might have wondered why he was allowing the young, attractive Mary to run up a debt (although do we know if she had any involvement in the business?)

I’m pretty rusty on this but what do we know of McCarthy that might hint toward his character?
    Not a lot really, but he must have been tough to have thrived in the doss house game.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    I don't know if I'm remembering right, but didn't McCarthy have political aspirations? A bit of cleaning up the image would have been a good move.
    Well, he was quite the orator, so he may have done well at the hustings.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Indeed. Lord Salisbury owned decaying properties in Cecil Court, off the Charing Cross Road.

In the 1950s, the Church owned all the brothels in Sussex Gardens, Paddington. God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform.

I recall going on a London Walk along the Thames and being told about ‘The Winchester Geese’ who were prostitutes in brothels owned by the Bishop Of Winchester in the 17th century. Pastoral care in the fullest sense.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Just as a side issue, one of the aspects of the case that has always raised my eyebrows is why did McCarthy allow Mary Kelly to run up such large rent arrears? It’s probably not a fact that he’d have wanted known. He wouldn’t have wanted to be known as a soft touch and I’m assuming that Mrs Mac might have wondered why he was allowing the young, attractive Mary to run up a debt (although do we know if she had any involvement in the business?)

I’m pretty rusty on this but what do we know of McCarthy that might hint toward his character?

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    I don't know if I'm remembering right, but didn't McCarthy have political aspirations? A bit of cleaning up the image would have been a good move.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Perhaps McCarthy was a social-climber who had offered to contribute cash to the occasion. A bit of LVE ‘networking.’ Even a Slum Landlord might have wanted to present himself as a respectable businessman, pillar-of-the-community type worthy of respect. What better way than thanking a local Police Officer for his years of service?
    My thoughts exactly, H.

There needn't be anything suspicious about McCarthy and his minor celeb son attending such an event.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Hi Mr Barnett,

Dignitaries and prominent citizens aren't all about money.

Regarding Trevor's comment about McCarthy being a Freemason, I wouldn't rule it out but cannot yet pinpoint him to a particular Lodge.

Regards,

Simon
    That's' true, Simon. I recall Debra finding a report of a Catholic charity function attended by McCarthy and co and there was another I dug out describing a free Christmas bean feast thrown for hundreds of his customers and paid for by Marie Kendal.

Then there was the occasion when several of the 'Lords of Spitalfields' came to the assistance of William Thick when he was being attacked by a group of roughs.

So, McCarthy was not only a prominent local businessman, but also something of a philanthropist and a defender of the law - surely that cv alone would have got him a ticket to Abberline's do. And if he was a Freemason on top of it all, he'd be sure to get an invite.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Perhaps McCarthy was a social-climber who had offered to contribute cash to the occasion. A bit of LVE ‘networking.’ Even a Slum Landlord might have wanted to present himself as a respectable businessman, pillar-of-the-community type worthy of respect. What better way than thanking a local Police Officer for his years of service?

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Hi Mr Barnett,

Regarding Trevor's comment about McCarthy being a Freemason, I wouldn't rule it out but cannot yet pinpoint him to a particular Lodge.

Regards,

Simon
    Hi Simon
    My information is that it was Kings head Lodge

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Indeed. Lord Salisbury owned decaying properties in Cecil Court, off the Charing Cross Road.

In the 1950s, the Church owned all the brothels in Sussex Gardens, Paddington. God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Hi Herlock,

The guest list was certainly interesting.

John McCarthy was neither a locally dignitary nor a prominent citizen. He was a slum landlord.

Regards,

Simon
    A number of those 'slums' were owned by west-end businesses men, some even by the church.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Mr Barnett,

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Hi Herlock,

The guest list was certainly interesting.

John McCarthy was neither a locally dignitary nor a prominent citizen. He was a slum landlord.

Regards,

Simon
    In H Division terms? You're having a giraffe, surely?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X