Patricia Cornwell - Walter Sickert - BOOK 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All
    whats her case against sickert in a nutshell? I'd really like to see someone answer this as in also making the case for him. Thanks in advance!
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      All
      whats her case against sickert in a nutshell? I'd really like to see someone answer this as in also making the case for him. Thanks in advance!

JM

Comment

That's all a bit old hat now, Jonathan.

Comment

All
          It might be best to read her book. The Kindle version is cheap enough. She is very sincere in her belief that Walter Sickert was Jack the Ripper, but what I might pick up on in her book as interesting may not be the same as you or the same as Patricia. As I say in the current Ripperologist , I'm intrigued by the possibility that Walter was the source of Joseph's story.

Comment

Thank you.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Where did she get Sickert's DNA from?

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post

Miss Marple
                Didn't she destroy some of his paintings? Or am I making that up?

Comment

I think she did destroy a painting but unless he licked the canvas how did she get his DNA? How is destroying a Canvas helpful? You paint with brushes not your fingers.The canvas would have been handled many times . Its all a bit dodgy. She is such a monomanic that blaming Sickert for the ripper murders is not enough, she thinks he did practically every murder in the first quarter of the 20th century. She really likes to over egg the pudding.

Miss Marple

Comment

Letters, always letters...

Miss Marple
                    Supposedly from a "Ripper letter". This science article explains the problems with all of the DNA "identifications" of JtR:

Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

I think she did destroy a painting but unless he licked the canvas how did she get his DNA? How is destroying a Canvas helpful? You paint with brushes not your fingers.

Miss Marple
                      Numerous ways dna could have been on the painting. Saliva traces from sneezing/coughing, etc.

She was very thorough in regards to WS letters and paintings, after all she believes he's jtr.

-Dan

Comment

Just for the record, Patricia didn't destroy any paintings by Walter Sickert or anyone else. She bought a painting and it was damaged in transit. I think she explains in her book how the story became twisted into her having destroyed a painting. The insurance and other documentation pertaining to the damage was and for all I know still is in her files. Also, I think (I don't have a copy of the book to hand at the moment so can't check and confirm) you may find that she doesn't make a big thing out of the MtDNA in her book, but states what her experts found and pretty much leaves it to the reader to draw their own conclusions.

Comment

I suppose one must tip one's hat to her for tenacity.
                          - Ginger

Comment

Cornwell and Robinson's egomania taint every word of their fascinating but wrong tomes. It is easy to become rapt by the euphoria of conspiracy theory - you hold all the cards if you say the moon is made of cheese and everyone is an alien, for example, so who, in your head can prove you wrong? Hence Trump for example.

So, as an explainer of Trump to a frazzled, logical mind, Cornwell's book is reassuring - ah, presumption and whimsical assertion are meat and drink to every egomaniac!

Comment

well, unless she can establish that he was even in London in the fall of 88 and not in France then the rest is pretty much moot, IMHO. I think as a baseline if your going to put forth a candidate for a valid suspect, you need to baseline at least establish that!

after that, she would need to confirm that his handwriting matches said letters.

has she at least done any of these two things?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

well, unless she can establish that he was even in London in the fall of 88 and not in France then the rest is pretty much moot, IMHO. I think as a baseline if your going to put forth a candidate for a valid suspect, you need to baseline at least establish that!

after that, she would need to confirm that his handwriting matches said letters.

has she at least done any of these two things?
                                Yep. There are dated music hall sketches which suggest he was in London and not in France at the time of several of the murders. As for the handwriting, the letters are from the same small batch of paper which in the opinion of the paper expert, Peter Bower, is as probable to have been sold to one person as it can be. The argument is therefore that the handwriting was disguised, to which one might say "yea, right", but one would have to have good grounds for disputing the considered conclusion of a world renowned authority on paper. You also have the opinion of the authority on Sickert's art, Anna Gruetzner Robins, that many of the Ripper letters were identifiably by Sickert. I have no idea whether they do or not, by I'm impressed by the weight of these authority's opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                X