X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post

I got it from Amazon. Check out their used editions from independent sellers. There's some real bargains to be had.

Failing that, give Abe Books a try. They've also got a .com and a .co.uk site.

Happy hunting.

Regards,

Simon
    Also world of books, absolute go to for cheap reads. Unless it's books by members of the Casebook community, in which case it's full whack hardbacks direct from the publisher!

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Herlock,

I don't wish to rub it in, but my copy arrived postage free. The only extra I had to pay was 27 cents tax.

I got it from Amazon. Check out their used editions from independent sellers. There's some real bargains to be had.

Failing that, give Abe Books a try. They've also got a .com and a .co.uk site.

Happy hunting.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by DJA View Post
    $6.51 AU plus $17 AU postage from Amazon USA.

Shall purchase when something else is found to take the total to $49 which makes the postage free.

Suspect his sexual orientation might be of interest in Jack's case and the Cleveland Street scandal.
    His letters would have been interesting.

Tom Wescott possibly agrees on the latter.
    I know that he died unmarried but was it known or suspected that he was gay? I haven’t read much about him apart from in biographies of other politicians and a long time ago,

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Herlock,

Never say die.

I bought a copy of the Henry Matthews book for $3.00.

Regards,

Simon
    Hi Simon,

You live in America don’t you? Did you just get it from a shop (sorry, a store?)

Its £10.89 on eBay. Still a bit steep for such a slim volume.

I hope you haven’t been affected by Storm Ciara by the way

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    $6.51 AU plus $17 AU postage from Amazon USA.

Shall purchase when something else is found to take the total to $49 which makes the postage free.

Suspect his sexual orientation might be of interest in Jack's case and the Cleveland Street scandal.
    His letters would have been interesting.

Tom Wescott possibly agrees on the latter.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Herlock,

Never say die.

I bought a copy of the Henry Matthews book for $3.00.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulB View Post

As for me writing such a book, I don't think I have the strength for such an undertaking!
    Can we get a show of hands? A proper, objective biography of the chief men, by one of our finest writers?
    Have a guiness, and get cracking.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

I would love someone to produce a proper biography of people like Warren and Anderson to help us really understand what those men were like. We have loads of biographies of the great politicians, like Disraeli, Gladstone, and Lord Salisbury, but nothing about senior policemen or even about Henry Matthews, so we don't have the insights into the men and the work they did during quite an interesting historical period, at least as far as the police were concerned. Of course, it's quite likely that the available information isn't out there. As for me writing such a book, I don't think I have the strength for such an undertaking!
    That’s a pity but yes it would be great if someone could tale on the task. Maybe a next project for Adam?

Theres at least one on Matthew’s but this one is only 96 pages for £17! So I’ll let you buy and you can lend it to me

This is the only one that I can see. I suppose that there’s always a chance of a historian deciding on a biography of Matthews. It seems less likely for the others though.

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Like everyone, I’m looking forward to this one. I’m wondering though if Adam, or any other writer (hint, hint Mr B) might consider a next project of a long overdue biography on Warren or Anderson or Macnaghten or Munro? Or even a sizeable book with section on each of the four?
    I would love someone to produce a proper biography of people like Warren and Anderson to help us really understand what those men were like. We have loads of biographies of the great politicians, like Disraeli, Gladstone, and Lord Salisbury, but nothing about senior policemen or even about Henry Matthews, so we don't have the insights into the men and the work they did during quite an interesting historical period, at least as far as the police were concerned. Of course, it's quite likely that the available information isn't out there. As for me writing such a book, I don't think I have the strength for such an undertaking!

Leave a comment:

• Michael W Richards
    replied

Yes, new stuff. But it's a very small book... Roughly 75 pages.

Sorry, my mistake. 750 pages. Police biographies are going to struggle to match the detail Adam has managed to get into those pages.
    Thanks Paul, Im now looking forward to it more!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Like everyone, I’m looking forward to this one. I’m wondering though if Adam, or any other writer (hint, hint Mr B) might consider a next project of a long overdue biography on Warren or Anderson or Macnaghten or Munro? Or even a sizeable book with section on each of the four?

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Actual new stuff? That sounds like a treat.
    Yes, new stuff. But it's a very small book... Roughly 75 pages.

Sorry, my mistake. 750 pages. Police biographies are going to struggle to match the detail Adam has managed to get into those pages.

Leave a comment:

• Michael W Richards
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post
    Thanks very much for the interest in my forthcoming book on Swanson.

Although I'm close to finishing it, publication is delayed because the Swanson family - who have been incredibly supportive throughout the research and writing process - have found another batch of documents, letters and photographs and I've been sifting through these and incorporating the new information.

Hopefully not too much longer to wait!

Best wishes
    Adam
    Actual new stuff? That sounds like a treat.

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    Ordered mine awhile back and it cost me deep in the purse, hopefully it will be arriving in the Antipodes soon.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Yes. Now. He had copies for sale over the weekend and more are coming from the printer soon, I believe. A terrific book, very detailed. I won't mention the foreword, but I just have...
    Thanks Paul, I've ordered mine from Waterstones, I'll need to chase them up on it.

Really looking forward to it...........and the foreword!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X