The Ripper's Haunts- An interview with author Michael Hawley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ripper's Haunts- An interview with author Michael Hawley

Rippercast welcomes Michael Hawley, author of 'The Ripper's Haunts', a new book about Jack the Ripper suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety. We cover a wide range of topics in this one-on-one interview including Tumblety's time in the Civil War, his reported hatred of women, and the likelihood that he was in fact 'Jack the Ripper'.

http://www.sunburypress.com

Available NOW to stream or download at the following link:

http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=146

Also in the iTunes Music Store or your favorite podcast app.

Thanks to Mike Hawley for taking the time to talk with us about his book.

Thank you for listening!

JM

• John Wheat
    replied
    Considering how closely Tumblety was looked at at the time surely if he was JTR he would have at the very least been charged with some or all the C5.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
    To me, the evidence is that Scotland Yard thought him guilty of something (something serious enough to want to follow him to the states)....that doesn't mean he was the Ripper....but that they thought him guilty of something.....And I think that is the point Mike makes in his book, brilliantly I may add, in fact, we have had many discussions on the topic, where I am in the camp that does NOT think Tumblety was Jack....but I do know think at least some in Scotland Yard did think so....If you haven't read the book John Wheat, I think you should, it is a great read, as most have attested to, many people, who disagree with Mike, have called it the best suspect book in years.

Steadmund Brand
    Yep, I don't think he was Jack, (may have been) but the police sure took an interest in him, and not a nice bloke either way, and a great book.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    To me, the evidence is that Scotland Yard thought him guilty of something (something serious enough to want to follow him to the states)....that doesn't mean he was the Ripper....but that they thought him guilty of something.....And I think that is the point Mike makes in his book, brilliantly I may add, in fact, we have had many discussions on the topic, where I am in the camp that does NOT think Tumblety was Jack....but I do know think at least some in Scotland Yard did think so....If you haven't read the book John Wheat, I think you should, it is a great read, as most have attested to, many people, who disagree with Mike, have called it the best suspect book in years.

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    replied
    Where's the evidence to suggest that Tumblety was JTR? Because I can't find any.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    I am planning a trip to the grave site of Tumblety soon... actually, going to the Grave of Louise Brooks.. but same cemetery....will be my first trip there, odd, since I live so close...only 1 hour away....I am not sure exactly when, but I will take some pictures and post them when I do

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    I hope it will be... Can't say the play owes that much to history... but we are use to that aren't we all....I'll give more details about it at a later date.....scary when people are "excited" to meet (in their words) an actual Ripperologist!! hahaha usually we just get looked at like freaks

Steadmund Brand
    I get looked at as a freak before I even mention dear old Jacky boy.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    I hope it will be... Can't say the play owes that much to history... but we are use to that aren't we all....I'll give more details about it at a later date.....scary when people are "excited" to meet (in their words) an actual Ripperologist!! hahaha usually we just get looked at like freaks

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    That is great to hear, The Podcasts are excellent and keep getting better.. and the only thing that would make Ripperologist magazine better would be hard copies....but I know that isn't feasible..

The hard work you put in shows thru Jon, you do an amazing job, I can't say that enough, it's so nice to hear someone so knowledgeable, and interested discussing these topics, unlike so many other podcasts dedicated to topics like this, and you never let your personal beliefs taint an episode, agree or disagree with a guest,you keep your professionalism, even when questioning comments made.

I also loved your idea of re-visiting older shows for updates.... would very much like to hear that...and always welcome new topics and guests...

and again, if there is ever anything you need, please feel free to reach out..I am always willing to help or contribute in anyway, in fact I just got asked to work as a "technical advisor" on a stage play being done here in my hometown about the last night of Mary Kelly... and one of the first things I did, was recommend that the actress and producer listen to your podcast on Mary Kelly....

Steadmund Brand
    Your work on the play sounds interesting, indeed the play itself sounds interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges View Post
    Thanks, GUT.

I've noticed the same thing, and not only with the podcast but when new issues of Ripperologist Magazine are announced, and with the Rip those announcement threads are made less and less frequently. I'd say "remember the good old days?" but I'm not sure how many current posters actually would.

But we'll soldier on. More people are subscribing to the podcast than ever before, and the subscription list of the Rip just grows and grows.

All the best,

JM
    That is great to hear, The Podcasts are excellent and keep getting better.. and the only thing that would make Ripperologist magazine better would be hard copies....but I know that isn't feasible..

The hard work you put in shows thru Jon, you do an amazing job, I can't say that enough, it's so nice to hear someone so knowledgeable, and interested discussing these topics, unlike so many other podcasts dedicated to topics like this, and you never let your personal beliefs taint an episode, agree or disagree with a guest,you keep your professionalism, even when questioning comments made.

I also loved your idea of re-visiting older shows for updates.... would very much like to hear that...and always welcome new topics and guests...

and again, if there is ever anything you need, please feel free to reach out..I am always willing to help or contribute in anyway, in fact I just got asked to work as a "technical advisor" on a stage play being done here in my hometown about the last night of Mary Kelly... and one of the first things I did, was recommend that the actress and producer listen to your podcast on Mary Kelly....

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges View Post
    Thanks, GUT.

I've noticed the same thing, and not only with the podcast but when new issues of Ripperologist Magazine are announced, and with the Rip those announcement threads are made less and less frequently. I'd say "remember the good old days?" but I'm not sure how many current posters actually would.

But we'll soldier on. More people are subscribing to the podcast than ever before, and the subscription list of the Rip just grows and grows.

All the best,

JM

Well that's good the hear anyway.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Funny that a thread like this gets so little interest but ones that reveal nothing go on and on and on and on.
    Thanks, GUT.

All the best,

JM

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Maybe a good idea GUT.....they use several big words...it may go a bit over your head ��..

And they both have those funny American accents....just like that Brian fellow he references....

Steadmund Brand
    Those accents (not mikes) can make it hard sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Funny that a thread like this gets so little interest but ones that reveal nothing go on and on and on and on.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    Thank you, Jonathan, for giving me this interview! If anyone is interested, this was not just a brief discussion and synopsis of my book. Jonathan posed very direct questions he, and many others, have about Tumblety, from the unusual coincidences surrounding the Civil War to him being a woman hater and even the likelihood of Dr. T being Jack the Ripper.

I may as well announce another find here. I have yet another example of Francis Tumblety not only being a misogynist but also treating a certain population of females badly.

Sincerely,

Mike
    Ya know the more I hear about this Tumblety guy, he sounds to me like a real jerk....

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

Working...
X