Morris Lewis and the reporting of his story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    The fact that nobody noticed her in the Britannia is also problematic for me, particularly if Paul Begg happens to be correct-it's slightly worrying that he doesn't cite a reference, though!
    I've offered a suggestion about Paul Begg's source in the new thread, "Morris Lewis Revisited". Curiously, in his 2003 book, 'Jack the Ripper: The Definitive History', Begg makes no mention of a denial by anyone at the Britannia that they had seen Kelly. Instead he only makes the point (p.241) that there is "no corroboration from the Britannia or any local pub that Kelly was served or seen that morning". However, he adds that, "this assumes that somebody, journalist or policeman, sought corroboration; and that Kelly would have been remembered amid what may have been a brisk early morning trade with market staff finishing the night shift."

Comment

Hi Packers,

She wouldn't, however, it illustrates that the sighting of "Kelly" was from a distance, increasing the risk of misidentification.

Lewis does not fully corroborate Maxwell, as their claimed sightings were at different times and at different locations, i.e. they were not made simultaneously.
      Hi John
      For our purposes of just discussing whether Kelly was still alive much later than was previously believed then we don't require exact timings .The Maxwell timings are between those of lewis and if she was alive and chatting away at 10 then she was ,of course, alive between 8 and 9 .It therefore is corroboration .
      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

And, of course, Chapman was clearly not Killed at night, so there's obviously a precedent.
        Hi John
        For this theorists use an eyewitness who certainly did not know the person she thought she saw

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
          I've offered a suggestion about Paul Begg's source in the new thread, "Morris Lewis Revisited". Curiously, in his 2003 book, 'Jack the Ripper: The Definitive History', Begg makes no mention of a denial by anyone at the Britannia that they had seen Kelly. Instead he only makes the point (p.241) that there is "no corroboration from the Britannia or any local pub that Kelly was served or seen that morning". However, he adds that, "this assumes that somebody, journalist or policeman, sought corroboration; and that Kelly would have been remembered amid what may have been a brisk early morning trade with market staff finishing the night shift."
          Thanks David. Paul Begg certainly seems to have contradicted, by implication, his earlier statement in the latter book.

Thanks for mentioning the new thread. I hadn't noticed it, but will read it with interest.

Comment

Hi David,

I would concede you make a good point. However, I do find it strange that she was claiming to be on first name terms with such a casual acquaintance, particularly as this was a much more formal age, and of course, this was something the coroner also commented on.

One possibility is that she realised that her evidence might not be fully accepted, i.e. because she hardly knew the victim, so she decided to beef it up by lying about the first name terms. It's also possible that the woman didn't correct Maxwell when she referred to her as "Mary" out of embarrassment, particularly as Maxwell was someone of standing in the community.

I'm not sure about Fleetwood Mac's "night time killer" argument, as JtR may well have been an opportunist: we're certainly not entitled to assume that all, or indeed any, of the murders were planned.

And, of course, Chapman was clearly not Killed at night, so there's obviously a precedent.
            John G,

I personally see JTR as very much an opportunist who didn't plan a great deal and certainly wasn't some criminal mastermind. He was fortunate in my opinion in so much as he didn't get caught red-handed.

But, I think he went out hunting when it was dark for obvious reasons, and the other murders support this view.

If you mean he may have been in the pub at 9 in the morning with no more than having a beer in mind, and fortune called and he took advantage; I doubt it.

My hunch is that Kelly was dead long before the sun rose, just as the other victims were.

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
              Hi Fleetwood Mac
              Do you suspect Chapman was killed much earlier than most believe?
              I'm with you, I doubt daylight killings
              That alone is not a good reason for anyone to claim Maxwell is unreliable
              Hi Packers,

Yes, I do. I think the doctor was closer to the mark.

And, in the final analysis I agree. A hunch doesn't render a statement unreliable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                John G,

I personally see JTR as very much an opportunist who didn't plan a great deal and certainly wasn't some criminal mastermind. He was fortunate in my opinion in so much as he didn't get caught red-handed.

But, I think he went out hunting when it was dark for obvious reasons, and the other murders support this view.

If you mean he may have been in the pub at 9 in the morning with no more than having a beer in mind, and fortune called and he took advantage; I doubt it.

My hunch is that Kelly was dead long before the sun rose, just as the other victims were.
                Hi Fleetwood Mac,

You may very well be right. However, I do think it's possible that he could have killed during daylight hours, i.e. if the opportunity presented itself and the urge to kill overwhelmed him . After all, the evidence suggests he didn't have a great deal of self restraint, i e. because of the risks he took.

That said, instinctively I feel that Kelly probably was killed in the early hours of the morning-before the sun rose-so we're in agreement there. However, I cannot rule out the possibility that she was killed later, even after 9:00am, as the medical evidence doesn't rule this out and the witness statements are conflicting.

Comment

• Hello all,

What stands out for me re Lewis et al is the notion that nobody knew the victim in terms of whom they saw or mistakenly saw.
                  It reminds me of the remarkable (lmho) situation that we have a so called prime witness in Hutchinson..who claimed to have known this victim over a period of years. Yet.. not one other person mentions Hutchinson by name nor knowledge of him.
                  Firstly, Mary must have mentioned him to various others over the years..and secondly, the most obvious is that women talk to each other about men. Especially over a few drinks in pubs. The fellow called Hutchinson would have been known..in the very least by name, if not sight.
                  But did this Hutchinson..who knew Mary so well..attend the funeral?

Just pondering.

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                    Dear Wickerman,

Surely that cannot be entirely accurate?

in his Statement Bond Says

" and the partly digested food would indicate: that death took place about 3 or 4 hours after the food was taken, so one or two o'clock in the morning would be the probable time of the murder."

I see no way you can extrapolated 3 or 4 hours before death to get a time of death at: "one or two o'clock in the morning" ; Unless you have a time for that meal.

Does this not indicate that he is saying that the level of digestion basically stopped or dramatically slowed at death?

indeed given that the examination was carried out at 2pm, if digestion continued there would be virtually nothing left to examine.

It would seem he is basing his educated guess for TOD on the temperature of the body, which he does not record that he took.

regards

Steve
                    Hi Steve.

Yes, I didn't mean to suggest that digestion was the only method he used, he didn't need to know the exact time she ate as his estimate is also based on Livor mortis, Algor mortis and Rigor mortis. Though body temperature (Algor) would be next to useless in this case, as would the settling of blood (Livor).
                    The chemical changes which induce rigidity (Rigor) are affected by temperature so any conclusions on that score might be compromised if the night was cold but the room was warm.
                    This I believe is why he resorted to only mentioning digestion, there wasn't any other better options.

I did read somewhere that in the 19th century if the body of a victim was mutilated or otherwise rendered unable to retain heat, the procedure was to insert a thermometer in the brain, as it was a sealed unit and the most likely location to retain heat.
                    We have no mention of that, but perhaps this was done in Millers Court?

As food was identified in the abdomen I have no doubt the police would make every effort to find where she could have obtained a meal of fish and potatoes that night, and if they couldn't remember serving her, the time when they closed is important.

None of this may have reached the ears of the press of course.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

None of this may have reached the ears of the press of course.
                      G'day Jon, and therein lies both the biggest problem and greatest intrigue in this case, we don't know what the police actually knew.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        G'day Jon, and therein lies both the biggest problem and greatest intrigue in this case, we don't know what the police actually knew.
                        And when they knew it.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Steve,

And, as I've posted before, even for today's forensic pathologists digestion is not an accurate means for determining time of death because they are too many variables. Moreover, Dr Bond fell into error when he said digestion stopped at the time of death: "Digestion itself does not cease at death but progresses after death due to enzyme activity; the state of digestion is therefore only of little value in estimating the time." ( Payne- James et al, 2003). See:https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...estion&f=false

And, for what it's worth, a small meal takes roughly between 1-3 hours to digest (200g of boiled fish about 2-3 hours), as demonstrated in the reference above.
                          In this case John digestion did stop at the time of death, Bond says that food was found in the abdominal cavity, and mentions the stomach in a separate context.
                          Food outside the stomach is not being digested, which leaves the time between the throat being cut and the abdomen being sliced open as the variable, until digestion ceased.
                          But yes in normal cases stomach acids do not evaporate on death, they continue to work, but slowly.
                          (This being the reason, in my view, why grape 'flesh' was not found in Stride's stomach)
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                            Hello all,

What stands out for me re Lewis et al is the notion that nobody knew the victim in terms of whom they saw or mistakenly saw.
                            It reminds me of the remarkable (lmho) situation that we have a so called prime witness in Hutchinson..who claimed to have known this victim over a period of years. Yet.. not one other person mentions Hutchinson by name nor knowledge of him.
                            Firstly, Mary must have mentioned him to various others over the years..and secondly, the most obvious is that women talk to each other about men. Especially over a few drinks in pubs. The fellow called Hutchinson would have been known..in the very least by name, if not sight.
                            But did this Hutchinson..who knew Mary so well..attend the funeral?

Just pondering.

Phil
                            Hi Phil

Another who could have,should have,been taken to view the body then?
                            I agree totally with what you say

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                              Yet.. not one other person mentions Hutchinson by name nor knowledge of him.
                              How do we actually know that no other person had knowledge of Hutchinson?

And why should any person speaking to the police or the coroner in the period of 9-12 November have mentioned him?

Comment

• Can't help pointing out that Mary Jane was a prostitute so she must have had male clients. Which means she knew a number of men. How many of them were mentioned by name at the inquest, or to police or reporters?

Comment

Working...
                                X