Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juniper4576
    replied
    Not saying that they were Jack, but what if the murderer(s) of Nichols was both Lechmere and Paul, possibly leading to if Jack was in fact two people

Leave a comment:

• Columbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Nope. Not according to PC Neil's evidence in the Dailu News 3 Sept;

"They found no money on the women; only a comb, a small piece of looking glass,and a white handkerchief, unmarked."
    I didn't think so. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbo View Post

I don't recall if they found any money on Nichols?
    Nope. Not according to PC Neil's evidence in the Dailu News 3 Sept;

"They found no money on the women; only a comb, a small piece of looking glass,and a white handkerchief, unmarked."

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbo View Post

I don't recall if they found any money on Nichols?
    No sign of recent connection, but then she could have serviced a client, prior to Lechmere happening along, in ways that leave no evidence on the woman.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Thanks, Steve. But, if I understand you, this is the estimated time for Lechmere's entire commute from Doveton Street to Pickford's, no?

What Sherlock actually asked is what time it would have taken Lechmere to have continued his journey to work "from the murder site."

So wouldn't it have been less? Don't we have to knock off around 5-8 minutes? (7 minutes seems about right to me).

I think Herlock's question is highly relevant.

If we are going to accept the possibility that Lechmere may have lied, then his journey time from Doveton Street is largely irrelevant. As Christer likes to tell us, he could have left at 3 a.m or even earlier and simply been lying to the inquest.

But what Lechmere couldn't have lied about is the time he was independently seen by Paul standing in the middle of Buck's Row.

If this occurred at a time when Lechmere could have still reached Pickford's by 4 a.m., (and Paul's estimate the time at around 3:45) then Lechmere's presence in the street is not only entirely natural, but the time at which he was seen standing there was also entirely natural---he was seen at around the same time he would have been there had he been innocently walking to work.
    Ah yes, RJ, but Christer would argue that Lechmere was thinking on his feet and collared Paul deliberately so he'd have a witness to confirm that his timing was entirely in keeping with his walk to work. It's a debating tactic we are both more than familiar with.

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    The recorded cart loads out were at an office in the Eldon exit. So I'm guessing it was the clocking in and off office.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
    >Have you seen this?<<

SNAP!!! I've just been reading it

The stables and the Pickford offices were in the North west section, so we can pretty much scrap the idea that Lechmere went to Eldon or Liverpool Streets entrance. Hanbury Street would be his normal route to work. Bit of a savage blow for Ed Stow and Christer theory on his route to work, it would seem.
    There’s also a mention of a timekeeper’s office. Might that have been where drivers ‘clocked on’ at the start of their shifts, or was it just somewhere that the carts/vans were recorded going in and out?

The bit that most pleased me was the comment that it was Scottish cat’s meat that arrived at the station. As we know, there was a daily ‘Scotch Meat and Fish Express’ that arrived around 4.15 each morning. Did that bring the cats meat along with the prime Aberdeen Angus/salmon/Arbroath smokies etc.?

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    >Have you seen this?<<

SNAP!!! I've just been reading it

The stables and the Pickford offices were in the North west section, so we can pretty much scrap the idea that Lechmere went to Eldon or Liverpool Streets entrance. Hanbury Street would be his normal route to work. Bit of a savage blow for Ed Stow and Christer theory on his route to work, it would seem.
    Last edited by drstrange169; 08-07-2021, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    Looking at the postcard you posted earlier it's says,
    "General something something entrance"
    "Passenger goods something entrance"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 5.37.38 pm.png
Views:	330
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	764828

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    The bottom of my picture of that states it's a "frieght station", which is why I think it might be for pick up and drop off for non Pickfords/Chaplin and Horne carts. Definitely not stables as there are rail cars in them.

Have you seen this?

LMS Society: Fostering Interest in Research & Modelling of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway

LMS Society: Fostering Interest in Research & Modelling of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    The bottom of my picture of that states it's a "frieght station", which is why I think it might be for pick up and drop off for non Pickfords/Chaplin and Horne carts. Definitely not stables as there are rail cars in them.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A596F517-2EFB-4508-929C-516A40FB4747.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	764824 Hi Thanks Dusty.

It’s marked as a goods yard on one map I’ve seen, and goods station on another. The person who posted the photo above described it as being of the ‘stables’ at Broad Street.
    Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-07-2021, 06:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    Factual answer about Liverpool Street ... no idea.
    Guess answer ... drop of/pick up area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broad_street_charles_mavor(1975)25.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	764804

Leave a comment:

• Elamarna
    replied
    Anyone who's got the book can look at times from Doveton to some of those entrances.
    I didn't include worship street, but I can add that to the next update perhaps.

Steve
    Last edited by Elamarna; 08-06-2021, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Interestingly, when i went on a trainspotters site, a guy said the meat yards for Broad Street were in the Worship Street depot, but he didn't know when that first started. With all your meat contemplations over the years have you heard anything about that?
    No I haven’t. It may be have been that butcher’s and knacker’s meat were handled separately and you may remember the press account of a cart loaded with horseflesh in Liverpool Street.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X