Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

It’s all witchcraft Erobitha.

You might find it hard to believe but I know quite a few people my age (56) who are far worse than I am. My main gripe is the language. Especially from tech companies and experts who I think are just completely incapable of explaining things clearly. An example is that a few weeks ago my iPad suddenly couldn’t ‘locate’ my printer. I ended up calling the helpline. I began by saying “look, I’m not a tech person. So please don’t to get too tech when you’re explaining.” The guy said “of course, no problem, I understand.” He then proceeded with 3 sentences that might as well have been in Norwegian! He simply couldn’t conceive that not everyone is an expert in computer technology. That not everyone knows what these things mean. I can use an iPad but if I try and read instructions my brain just shuts down. It’s sooo boring. I’m thinking “I don’t care about what’s causing it just fix the f****ng thing!
    My other bugbear is when I’m considering something new and people say “it’s simple.” Yeah right. I can hardly remember anything that’s ‘simple.’ They give you a step by step guide but something always pops up leaving me thinking “well, you never mentioned this!”

Life’s complicated enough.
    Joking aside, you make good points. I am 42 and have worked in the internet industry since I was 17. Tech speak is a second language in many ways. Plus I can also code a little, which are actual languages.

The generation after me are even more tech savvy.

Somewhere along the way we forgot to simplify what is simple to us, to those who did not have such exposure to tech. There should much more simplified solutions that assumes you have little to zero tech experience or knowledge.

Tech as a whole can be much better at this.
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Joking aside, you make good points. I am 42 and have worked in the internet industry since I was 17. Tech speak is a second language in many ways. Plus I can also code a little, which are actual languages.

The generation after me are even more tech savvy.

Somewhere along the way we forgot to simplify what is simple to us, to those who did not have such exposure to tech. There should much more simplified solutions that assumes you have little to zero tech experience or knowledge.

Tech as a whole can be much better at this.
      I couldn’t agree more Erobitha. I know a lot of people like myself who in general get along ok using computers but they are certainly not advanced and have no desire to become advanced. There might disagree but I’d say that I’m a fairly intelligent man and yet when I checked online about the question that I asked the ‘simple guidance’ was a mystery.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes

“Conspiracy theorists, she knew, were paranoid by definition, and usually with good reason – they were indeed being watched, largely because they were standing on an upturned bucket, haranguing the sheeple about their wingnut delusions.”

“If you argue with a madman, it is extremely probable that you will get the worst of it; for in many ways his mind moves all the quicker for not being delayed by the things that go with good judgment.”

Comment

• When people use things that they do not understand that often that leads to confusion and errors, as in the case of the missing printer issue discussed. The same can be said for people reading materials and forming opinions without having a firm grasp on what they have read.
        Michael Richards

Comment

• Now read that back to yourself.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes

“Conspiracy theorists, she knew, were paranoid by definition, and usually with good reason – they were indeed being watched, largely because they were standing on an upturned bucket, haranguing the sheeple about their wingnut delusions.”

“If you argue with a madman, it is extremely probable that you will get the worst of it; for in many ways his mind moves all the quicker for not being delayed by the things that go with good judgment.”

Comment

Working...
          X