No announcement yet.

K Division Stations.....

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
    James ENDICOTT

    Born 14 Feb 1862, in Leigh, Devon.
    Married Esther Bone, Kensington 1884.
    Joined the Metropolitan Police on the 7th May 1888 and posted to K Division, warrant number 73628. Given his address and the fact that Limehouse Police Station was still being built in 1888 it is highly likely that he was stationed at Poplar Police Station (given his address) at the time of (Rose Mylett murder, she was suggested Ripper victim, who was murdered at 184-186 Clarke's Yard, High Street Poplar on the 20th December 1888).
    Lived at 74 Hind Street, Poplar. Listed on census (1891,1901 & 1911) as occupation Police Constable.
    Gave evidence at the Old Bailey on the 26th July 1897 (at this time he was stationed at Limehouse Police Station), in a murder trial (arresting officer collar number 424K, 27th May 1897).

    Retired 12 May 1913, having served his entire service in K Division (Poplar/Limehouse area) and moved to Cheltenham, Living 24 Naunton Crescent (939 registry retired constable)
    Died 1941 Cheltenham.



    Patrick O'Connell, a dock laborer, and Johanna Sullivan were charged on remand at the Thames Police Court onSiturday (reports a London paper of July 17) with the manslaughter of Johanna Forbes, the mother of the male prisoner. Mr Colbeek prosecuted on behalf of the Treasury. The cases against the prisoners were heard separately. According to the evidence already given most brutal violence had been used by O'Connell towards his mother. On May 27 an altercation took place between the women, in consequence of which Sullivan was given into custody. She was brought before the magistrate, and subsequently sentenced to a month's imprisonment. O'Connell, on hearing of this, came home on the 29th, and, after using the most foul language towards his mother, set about beating her in a brutal manner. The poor woman was taken to the Bromley Sick Asylum, where she died a fortnight later. The evidence disclosed the mo3t brutal violence on the part of O'Connell. " His kicks sounded like thuds," according to the evidence of one witness. After her removal to the infirmary the mother was questioned as to the cause of her injuries, but she refused to incriminate her son. "He's a good son," "He never hurt me," were the phrases she used, and until the moment of her death she refused to say a word against him. Even when questioned at the last moment, after she knew that her end was near, she still spoke of O'Connell's goodness, and refused to acknowledge that he was the cause of the injuries from which she was dying. A number of witnesses gave evidence as to the facts. O'Connell was committed for trial; Sullivan was discharged.


    • #32
      Eight years' penal servitude but released in 1903. How the hell did he get away with that?


      • #33
        Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Eight years' penal servitude but released in 1903. How the hell did he get away with that?

        My thoughts exactly!! I would have felt certain he would have met Mr Billington for such a ghastly deed!!!!!
        Last edited by The Station Cat; 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM.