No announcement yet.

Mary Jane Kelly from Tottenham - further details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might have found something of interest Chris, I will email you what I have got.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
      Many thanks for that info
      I did PM you, hope you got it

Below are details of the Longford Rifles
      This is from the Army List for 1862
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
        By the by though (Slightly off track sorry) I've suddenly noticed the slight but noticable likeness between Annie Besant and MJK...Not saying that AB met her end in Millers Court of course....but there's a wayward thought!!!....but just that the face set struck me.
        Suz x
        "Noticable likeness" based on what, though, Suze?

We have two photos of her corpse, that's all. We see an exposed skull, nothing more. So what are you basing the "noticable likeness" on?

Surely you're not relying on the sketch or two made at the time, off hearsay... on that basis, I could claim that actress Heather Graham bears an uncanny likeness to MJK and must surely be a great-great-grandniece of the Miller's Court victim, and be on equally solid ground. (Which is to say, not at all...) Such sketches based on neighbor's descriptions in the wake of the murder, would be highly unreliable and certainly you have more sense than that, right?

Besides, as you said, Anne Bessant has nothing to do with this thread....
        Last edited by CraigInTwinCities; 06-03-2008, 12:17 AM.
        All my blogs:
        MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

In the light of some new information I have been given, we have been able to fill in some details for the Mary Kelly of Tottenham, principally a full list of her brothers and sister.

In 1871 the family was living in Staffordshire:
          30 High St, Goldenhill, Oldcott, Staffordshire
          Head: Denis Kelly aged 38 born Ireland - Pensioner, Staff. Serj. of Volunteers
          Wife: Jane Kelly aged 36 born Isle of Man
          Children:
          Matthew S aged 11 born Devonport, Devon
          Catherine M aged 9 born Ireland
          Mary J aged 7 born Ireland
          John D R aged 5 born Ireland
          William P aged 2 born Preston, Lancs.
          Lawrence M T aged 7 months born Goldenhill, Staffs

By 1881 the family were living in the Isle of Man:
          28 Falcon Street, Onchan, Douglas, Isle of Man
          Head: Denis Kelly aged 47 born Ireland - Pensioner (Sergt. Major 107th Foot)
          Wife: Jane Kelly aged 46 born Peel, Isle of Man
          Children:
          Catharine M aged 19 born Ireland - Dressmaker
          Mary J aged 17 born Ireland
          John D R aged 15 born Ireland - Cabinet maker's apprentice
          Paul W aged 12 born England (This is the same as the William P listed in 1871)
          Lawrence M aged 10 born England

The oldest son, Matthew Samuel Kelly, married in Edmonton in Essex to Catherine Standring. The couple and their children are listed in 1891 as follows:
          6 Tancred Road, Hornsey
          Head: Matthew S Kelly aged 31 born Stoke Damerel, Devon - Civil Service Clerk, Audit Dept.
          Wife: Catherine Kelly aged 33 born Finsbury E.C.
          Children:
          Margery aged 4
          Denis aged 3
          Kathleen aged 1
          All born in Wood Green

Comment

With all those male kellys, maybe someone with the last name of Kelly could trace their roots and find out that Mary Kelly was their great great great aunt or something.

Comment

I am sorry, I posted that without reading the whole thread and for some reason I can't edit or delete it. so sorry...

Comment

Hello Rain!

Originally posted by rain View Post
                With all those male kellys, maybe someone with the last name of Kelly could trace their roots and find out that Mary Kelly was their great great great aunt or something.
                A nice thought. But since we have been looking for hundreds of Mary Jane Kellies from Western Ireland, Wales, London and even some American ones with a dead end, "our" MJK obviously used that name as an alias. So, it's probably impossible to find her real backround - ever!

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I too believe she used a fake name. I don't think she used her real one due to the fact she didn't want anyone knowing where she really came from or who she was. We have a story in our family about a woman (prostitue) who was killed during this time in London, and since there are probably plenty of people who may or may not have been related in some way to the real MjK it's super difficult to find out. Even if you find a real name you have to connect it to the MjK that was at No. 13. AND there were lots of prostitues killed by lots of people.

I do agree she did use an alias and that's why it's been a dead end all these years. If not, I feel that certainly someone would have opened the truth by now. I still hope that in the future someone will be able to connect all the dots. Some of the best advice I received from a couple of gentlemen (geneologists) here at the forum was to go ahead and do the research because even though it seems impossible you never know what you'll find. Besides tracing your family back is tedious but a wonderful experience. I've already got my father's family back to the 1600's.

I'm not even for sure that Mary was her real first name - but Kelly? I doubt it was real.
                  "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Hi Jukka

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
                    Hello Rain!

A nice thought. But since we have been looking for hundreds of Mary Jane Kellies from Western Ireland, Wales, London and even some American ones with a dead end, "our" MJK obviously used that name as an alias. So, it's probably impossible to find her real backround - ever!

All the best
                    Jukka
                    Quite. And here's an example. My great grandfather whose mothers name was Catherine Kelly born 1860, moved to Swansea to work, due to the fact that some of his mothers kinfolk were still living there.

all the best

Observer

Comment

I have received another snippet of information regarding the Mary Jane Kelly of Tottenham (who claimed to be the MJK of Miller's Court)
                      Mary's mother was named Jane but had been married previously and it was only today I found her former name. Prior to being married to Denis Kelly (father of Mary Jane) Jane Kelly (maiden name Jane Coffey) had been married to a man named Henry Quirk.
                      There is no possibility that Quirk could have been Mary Jane's birth name. Her oldest sibling, Matthew, born 1859, is listed as the son of Denis Kelly, and as Mary was born 4 years later, she was certainly Denis's daughter.
                      I have a lot of digging to do on this info which I have only just received
                      Chris

Comment

Hey Chris good luck with all the research!!! We have Coffey's in our family too, except ours is spelled Coffee - like the drink by the 1920's.

Anyhoo best of luck!!
                        "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

I am now in receipt of some important documents relating to the Mary Jane Kelly (Atkinson) who claimed to be the Kelly of Millers Court fame.
                          Below is her birth certificate. This was issued under special provisions as relating to the armed forces and reads as follows:

Mary Jane Kelly

Birth Certificate:

Depot 107th regiment of Infantry

Date of Child's Birth: 24 January 1864
                          Place and Date of Birth: Fermoy
                          Baptism date: 2 February 1864
                          Christian Names of the Child: Mary Jane
                          Parents' names:
                          Christian: Denis and Jane
                          Surname: KELLY
                          Rank of the father: Colour Sergeant 107th regiment
                          Name of Chaplain or other Clergyman by whom ceremony was performed:
                          J.O. Flaherty Chaplain to the Forces
                          Last edited by Admin; 09-05-2008, 02:35 AM. Reason: Attachment deleted at poster's request

Comment

Below is Kelly's marriage certificate.

The details read as follows:
                            Marriage:
                            When Married: 24 August 1889
                            Name and Surname: William Hayes Atkinson and Mary Jane Kelly
                            Age: William Atkinson 28 years, Mary Jane Kelly 25 years
                            Condition: Atkinson - Bachelor, Kelly - Spinster
                            Rank or Profession: Atkinson - Commercial Traveller
                            Residence at the time of Marriage: Atkinson - ? Villa, Hornsey, Kelly - 36 Daleview Road, Stamford Hill
                            Father's Name: Atkinson - Joseph Atkinson, Kelly - Denis Kelly
                            Rank or Profession of father: Atkinson - Independent Means, Kelly - Sergeant Major
                            Witnesses: Esther Catherine Atkinson and John Kelly

Out of interest I am also adding an enlargement of the MJK signature.
                            Last edited by Admin; 09-05-2008, 02:36 AM. Reason: Attachments deleted at Poster's request

Comment

Below is Kelly's death certificate
                              This reads as follows:

Death:
                              When and Where Died: 8 December 1912 109 Warwick road, New Southgate
                              Name: Mary Jane Atkinson
                              Sex: Female
                              Occupation: Wife of William Hayes Atkinson, Commercial Traveller
                              Cause of Death: Endocarditis, Cardiac failure. Certified by M Steward Smith M.D.
                              Informant: W H Atkinson, widower of deceased in attendance at 109 Warwick Road, New Southgate
                              When Registered: 9 December 1912
                              Last edited by Admin; 09-05-2008, 02:37 AM. Reason: Attachments deleted at Poster's request

Comment

the last document I have received is the birth certificate of Mary's older brother, Matthew:

Birth of Kelly's brother

Registration District: Stoke Damerel
                                County: Devon
                                When and Where Born: 21 December 1859 Married Men's Quarters, Raglan Barracks
                                Name: Matthew Samuel
                                Sex: Boy
                                Name of father: Dennis Kelly
                                Name of Mother: Jane Kelly late Quirke formerly Coffey
                                Occupation of father: Colour Sergeant 35th Regiment
                                InformantL Denis Kelly, father, of Married Men's Quarters, Raglan Barracks, Devonport, Devon
                                When registered: 14 January 1860
                                Last edited by Admin; 09-05-2008, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X