X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
    But without an exhumation or a GEDmatch, everyone has the opportunity to do some forensic genealogy.

The Trapper said he was from Sweden, Norway and Denmark. By comparison, Mary Kelly should be easy.
    All your looking for are Welsh folks named Davies and Irish Kellys!

Leave a comment:

• Trapperologist
    replied
    But without an exhumation or a GEDmatch, everyone has the opportunity to do some forensic genealogy.

The Trapper said he was from Sweden, Norway and Denmark. By comparison, Mary Kelly should be easy.

Leave a comment:

• Trapperologist
    replied
    The Mad Trapper was exhumed but it didn’t prove anything except that all the main theories of who he was were wrong. Every DNA comparison excluded the donor as a relative. The other science such as tissue and isotope analysis may or may not be of help.

They could just put the raw data on GEDmatch but for some reason they haven’t or haven’t said. That would solve it or narrow it down considerably.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

I may be wrong but I am sure that some of the academics who discovered Richard IIIs remains did a feasibility study (possibly supported by Patricia Cornwall?) around digging up the remains for a DNA test. Their conclusion was that it would be near impossible
    Correct. Basically, the earth in the cemetery has been disturbed so often in the intervening years that it we just don't know where Kelly's remains really are. Some of us have visited the memorial plaque showing roughly where she was originally buried, but we don't know precisely where she ended up.

You can read the Leicester University team's report here: https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/ge...ectFeb2017.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

I may be wrong but I am sure that some of the academics who discovered Richard IIIs remains did a feasibility study (possibly supported by Patricia Cornwall?) around digging up the remains for a DNA test. Their conclusion was that it would be near impossible to do, even if the permission was the appropriate authorities was given.

Tristan
    University of Leicester, The Mary Kelly Project. It was led by the same professor. They estimated going through 400 sets of remains.

Leave a comment:

• Losmandris
    replied
    Originally posted by clark2710 View Post
    Of all of the victims of the Ripper the least is known about Mary Jane Kelly herself. My question, i don't mean any disrespect, but could they not exhume her body, get some dna, and find her family that way? That way she has people to visit and family to say hi to her when they're in the area so to speak. I mean it may sound silly but even after all this time her spirit may rest a little more soundly so to speak.
    I may be wrong but I am sure that some of the academics who discovered Richard IIIs remains did a feasibility study (possibly supported by Patricia Cornwall?) around digging up the remains for a DNA test. Their conclusion was that it would be near impossible to do, even if the permission was the appropriate authorities was given.

Tristan

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by clark2710 View Post
    Of all of the victims of the Ripper the least is known about Mary Jane Kelly herself. My question, i don't mean any disrespect, but could they not exhume her body, get some dna, and find her family that way? That way she has people to visit and family to say hi to her when they're in the area so to speak. I mean it may sound silly but even after all this time her spirit may rest a little more soundly so to speak.
    Not sure that would qualify as a valid reason for exhumation. Also, despite grave markers suggesting otherwise, the exact location isn't known and graves aren't single occupancy like we believe.
    As is, there was a decent theory done by someone who identified an ancestor as being a good candidate for Mary, he never got DNA and the mystery continues.

Leave a comment:

• clark2710
    started a topic Exhumation

Exhumation

Working...
X