Exhumation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

I think you got your answer earlier, but folksongs or traditional songs from a variety or national sources are sung frequently in this neck of the woods, a welsh person could very easily be familiar with tunes from the green island.

The fact remains that none of the story we are given.. primarily by Barnett.. according to what he says he was told,... has been provable.
    It is referred to as the Emerlad Isle - not Green Island. Perhaps your local celtics who are familar with such local folksongs would know the difference. I have provided a screenshot from the baptism register from the church in Castleconnell, Co. Limerick were Mary Kelly was baptised dated March 31st 1863 - 25 years before Mary Jane Kelly was murdered in Dorset Street. Age and locations are very inetresting. This Mary Kelly's father Michal Kelly was from Newport in Wales. Now we have a Welsh connection. You might not see this as evidence, but it's not bad in my view.

In Irish Catholic tradition the middle name is assigned at confirmation age. She most likely wished to be called by her christian and confirmation name together as Mary Jane as she got older to give her a uniqueness from the many thousands of Mary Kelly's that roamed Ireland and the UK.
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

Erobitha, Are their any census records of Michael and Ellen in Wales ? I had a quick look but nothing came up.

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
        Erobitha, Are their any census records of Michael and Ellen in Wales ? I had a quick look but nothing came up.

Miss Marple
        His name was Michal (not Michael) Kelly - check Welsh census. He was born in Newport. There is a Michal Kelly born in Newport in 1811. I think which means he was in his 50’s when Mary Jane was born - if indeed correct.
        Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
        JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

It is referred to as the Emerlad Isle - not Green Island. Perhaps your local celtics who are familar with such local folksongs would know the difference. I have provided a screenshot from the baptism register from the church in Castleconnell, Co. Limerick were Mary Kelly was baptised dated March 31st 1863 - 25 years before Mary Jane Kelly was murdered in Dorset Street. Age and locations are very inetresting. This Mary Kelly's father Michal Kelly was from Newport in Wales. Now we have a Welsh connection. You might not see this as evidence, but it's not bad in my view.

In Irish Catholic tradition the middle name is assigned at confirmation age. She most likely wished to be called by her christian and confirmation name together as Mary Jane as she got older to give her a uniqueness from the many thousands of Mary Kelly's that roamed Ireland and the UK.
          I have quite a few friends who have ventured on golf trips to the "Emerald Isle", I used the term I did because its what we call it. Perhaps the golf aspect wasn't something obviously clear. Look, Im not saying that the mysteries cannot be solved, or that your find isn't the one we are looking for, Im saying its been elusive all these years and when occasionally someone claims to have solved something it most often turns out badly for all involved. A natural skepticism does, and frankly should, exist.

Ill throw this in the mix though, the presumption with your research is that the woman in bed in room 13 was in fact the same Mary Jane Kelly that you look for. Could someone just adopt a history in those days? Are we certain by the 2 features Barnett says he recognized that the woman was indeed the same woman who identified herself as such? Is the doppelganger Mary Jane a way for the real Mary Jane to slip away?

The devastation wreaked upon the woman we know as Mary Kelly seems to me far beyond what a staged murder might look like, I cant imagine someone who didn't crave doing that to do it just so it would appear to be by someone else, albeit someone still unknown. So its either someone went nuts in that room, or someone was already nuts and went to an extreme. I think what may be a key here is the powerful emotions, potentially explosive, that exist between people who are lovers. She was in a love triangle, this by her own admission. Having loved someone, then feeling betrayed..yet still emotionally attached to the person, could result in explosive anger with a violence prone person...."the other Joe...he treated her badly"...slashing at the face back and forth, defeating defensive motions with a blade, near decapitation...the extra carnage might be a result of a loss of all inhibition, and morality. Someone already condemned .
          Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

re we certain by the 2 features Barnett says he recognized that the woman was indeed the same woman who identified herself as such?
            As I've said before, Barnett would almost certainly have recognised a lot more, but one or two distinguishing features would have sufficed for the record. It would have been wholly unnecessary - and more than a bit ridiculous - to expect him to have said, for example, "I recognise her by the hair, eyes, ears, teeth, her hands and feet, her fingers and toes, a mole on her left shoulder-blade and a birthmark on her right shin...", all of which were left unscathed by the killer's knife.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              As I've said before, Barnett would almost certainly have recognised a lot more, but one or two distinguishing features would have sufficed for the record. It would have been wholly unnecessary - and more than a bit ridiculous - to expect him to have said, for example, "I recognise her by the hair, eyes, ears, teeth, her hands and feet, her fingers and toes, a mole on her left shoulder-blade and a birthmark on her right shin...", all of which were left unscathed by the killer's knife.
              I agree Sam, he probably only could view a portion of her anyway, contrary to some reports that had him id her from the window.
              That being said, if he was only able to see a fraction of her, even with his confidence in 2 features, Is that sufficient to
              positively ID her as the woman he knew as Mary Jane Kelly? One feature is hair color, something that was easily available in bottled product, and likely not a shade or color unique to only Mary Kelly anyway..
              Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
                Even without all the other evidence weighing in favor of the DNA evidence, I'd go with the DNA.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	culmer.png
Views:	438
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	727262

Comment

It's always wishful thinking with me and MJK, but I do wonder if it would truly be as hard to locate her burial as it's made out to be.

People talk like she was dropped directly into the earth, but the sexton of a local church paid for her burial and she was laid to rest in an oak and elm coffin with metal fittings and a brass nameplate, inscribed with her name, date of death and age. The metal fittings on coffins of that period were often quite substantial. I feel like, if the coffin remains intact (and I know there's a good chance that it does not) it would be reasonably easy to identify next to the cheap pine boxes used for paupers burials.

I don't particularly feel that Mary is the key to the mystery, or that finally identifying her will shed any light on what really happened. I just think she had a short, hard life, a horrific death, and even now we're sitting here looking at those horrible pictures of her. It's a slim hope, but giving her a proper burial under her real name would just restore some of the dignity she wasn't allowed to have in life or even death.

Comment

Working...
                  X